• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Good Comic Stores Near LAX?

21 posts in this topic

You might try Geoffreys in Gardena, CA

Other than that, it is slim pickings now.

Not always that way - the one in Newport Beach, CA used to be good BUT they sold all their GA/SA and most BA - nothing left but toys and junk..

Ralphs in Ventura has deteriorated in back Issues as well

Michaels in Oxnard only has Modern comics and toys...

Secret Treasures in downtwon Ventura did not last over a year.

CAL hi.gif

Head up the 405 to Santa Monica - Hi De Ho (6th and Santa Monica Blvd.)has alot of stuff - back issues, undergrounds , esoterica. Not much in High Grade, and mostly Silver onward - they pretty much price everything at guide, but will negotiate. They constantly get stuff in - so sometimes you can get lucky. What they really have in depth are alt/underground trades and the like, and comic art and other graphic pop culture books - similar to what you might find in the Bud Plant catalog - but lots of stuff you won't find there.

Overland Ave., right by Sepulveda, right near LAX:

COMICS INK

4267 Overland Ave, Culver City, CA,

How far away from the airport is it? Do they have back issues?

Jim

Do not bother, there are very few comic book shops in the area that are worthwhile.

If your in the mood for browsing , Comic Ink is close as stated above, mostly tpb's, magazines, new issues...

Like Cal said, Geoffrey's in Gardena is decent, other than that, nobody has great high grade stuff anymore...Unfortunately I have to wait for Wizard World or Comic Con every year, unless I buy a nice collection, other than that high grade comic book stores are dead in LA...

Not exactly near the airport, but Comics and Fun on Sepulveda in Van Nuys has a good selection of Silver and off beat books. You will have to haggle over the grade and the price though.

Also unless the Owner ( Jerry) is there negotiaton is very difficult as the employee is not permitted to negotiate. At least that is what I was told

A comic shop in Newport? Where the heck is it?

I just tried to look it up - of course it is gone.

So I found the address for the Outback Steakhouse off Route 55 N - the shop was on the "strip service road" off of Superior St - Years back, I walked up from the Outback Steakhouse when my mother-in-law used to live in Newport Beach. We were visiting when she was being brutalized by breast cancer.

The shop was on the corner, brick bldg, had gray paintings and murials on all the walls including parking lot. Staff was indifferent, too busy on their cell phones, but I asked the hard Q's. Yes they had every comic ever discussed and there were some yellow articles how the owner, xyz( I can't remember his name) knew Stan Lee, yadda yadda, and sold his core collection to Gary Dolgoff in Mass. I clearly remember that he had many GA Keys and a run of ASM 2-102. How he could have Marvel Mystery 1 and 2, Action 2 - 10, Detectives, Flash, Batman 1 - 25, but no ASM Number One struck me funny. But the pictures were there. The Orange County Register surely has archives.

They had modern dreck like that Neatstuff truck one can bid for $58,000.. Toys, junk, and even a few shoplifters. I asked the guy who had the cell phone as an appendage on his hand if he was now calling 911 for the brazen theft we all saw in broad daylight and he said he really needed to phone his OTHER girl before they both came at the same time to pick him up. He cared less that those kids stole those toys.

The shop is no longer there and the last time I was down there, about 5 years ago, it was a school-book warehouse. Since mother-in-law passed away about 4 years ago, we do not go down that way anymore.

CAL hi.gif

Also unless the Owner ( Jerry) is there negotiaton is very difficult as the employee is not permitted to negotiate. At least that is what I was told

That is true. Been there, done that too.

CAL hi.gif

A comic shop in Newport? Where the heck is it?

I just tried to look it up - of course it is gone.

So I found the address for the Outback Steakhouse off Route 55 N - the shop was on the "strip service road" off of Superior St - Years back, I walked up from the Outback Steakhouse when my mother-in-law used to live in Newport Beach. We were visiting when she was being brutalized by breast cancer.

The shop was on the corner, brick bldg, had gray paintings and murials on all the walls including parking lot. Staff was indifferent, too busy on their cell phones, but I asked the hard Q's. Yes they had every comic ever discussed and there were some yellow articles how the owner, xyz( I can't remember his name) knew Stan Lee, yadda yadda, and sold his core collection to Gary Dolgoff in Mass. I clearly remember that he had many GA Keys and a run of ASM 2-102. How he could have Marvel Mystery 1 and 2, Action 2 - 10, Detectives, Flash, Batman 1 - 25, but no ASM Number One struck me funny. But the pictures were there. The Orange County Register surely has archives.

They had modern dreck like that Neatstuff truck one can bid for $58,000.. Toys, junk, and even a few shoplifters. I asked the guy who had the cell phone as an appendage on his hand if he was now calling 911 for the brazen theft we all saw in broad daylight and he said he really needed to phone his OTHER girl before they both came at the same time to pick him up. He cared less that those kids stole those toys.

The shop is no longer there and the last time I was down there, about 5 years ago, it was a school-book warehouse. Since mother-in-law passed away about 4 years ago, we do not go down that way anymore.

CAL hi.gif

Ah yes. That was Superior Comics, and they were in that location for a very long time, but moved to Costa Mesa very soon after you visited the store. They tried to make it work in the new location for a few years, then closed their doors for good. No comics shops in Newport these days, but Alakazam Comics in Costa Mesa is adequate for new comics and trades, but very little in the way of back issues.

You were just a few miles from my house when you visited that store.

Overland Ave., right by Sepulveda, right near LAX:

COMICS INK

4267 Overland Ave, Culver City, CA,

Wow, they're still there? In the same tiny cubicle of a shop they had 15 years ago?

Yes indeed, and they actually have a nice selection of back issues and some high grade silver age stuff (You have to ask to see those boxes, which they keep in the storage room or behind the counter!) Friendly staff too!

Not exactly near the airport, but Comics and Fun on Sepulveda in Van Nuys has a good selection of Silver and off beat books. You will have to haggle over the grade and the price though.

I bought a few issues from there. He overgrades I think tho.

I bought a few issues from there. He overgrades I think tho.

He has alot of GA/Atom Age DC books - priced at guide last I was there, but definetly overgraded if they were nicer than VG.