• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this.

6 posts in this topic

Here's another for you guys to help with.

Here's a rundown of what you can't see in the scan...

Front-

At first glance this one is perfect. There are two miniscule flecks of stress on the spine, with no wrinkle that is usually present. I'm talking half a hair width.

The spine is as close to flawless as you can get. No dimples or wrinkles at all.

The corners are razor sharp.

There is the slightest touch on the upper spine corner. I mean slight. Not even close to the damage of a bindery chip.

On the right side, near center of the book (in the "300" area to the upper right of the circle), there is the slightest impression in the cover. Like the book laid on top of something. It's not very deep and there is no color break and has to hit the light perfectly for you to even notice it. It is about 2-3 inches long.

Back-

The only thing wrong is in the black area you can faintly make out a palm print.

It doesn't take the color off to white. It just takes off the gloss of the print.

It lightens up the black area very slightly. Just enough to make it out with close inspection.

There are two very faint stresses on the back spine. Just a little more pronounced than the ones on the front. Very minor stresses.

Otherwise, the book is perfecto.

Oh, and the pages are white, white, white. If it were to come back off white, it would be an injustice.

I'm wondering if you folks can guess a grade.

I'm curious as to what the little impression on the front might drop it down to.

Here's the scan...

asm300.jpg

No idea on what palm prints do to a grade, but I'd give it a 9.2 just cause CGC is really hard on moderns.

Brian

That's an understatement..out of the last 10 moderns I sent in I got one 9.4....the rest 8.5-9.2.

Jonny D. shocked.gif

They literally have to be basically perfect to get a 9.4 in modern's (1990 or newer) books. I've got a 9.6 of ASM 300 and there is simply absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Brian

Regardless of what cgc would grade it - as long as there is no bindery stress and the back cover is nice(ithink a palm print - depending on how severe might drop it .2 points or so...) I would give it 9.4-9.6.

But Murph is dead on about moderns and cgc.