• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 158

17 posts in this topic

Surprised... I'm looking at an overstreet CB grading guide and it looks comparable to 9.0 examples in there. Lowside 8.5

While I don't necessarily agree with that grade, OS or not, remember that when people grade on here, they are using CGC books and grading as the criteria.

As in... what would CGC give it?

Surprised... I'm looking at an overstreet CB grading guide and it looks comparable to 9.0 examples in there. Lowside 8.5

While I don't necessarily agree with that, remember that when people grade on here, they are using CGC books and grading as the criteria.

As in... what would CGC give it?

CGC supposedly modeled their standards (whatever those are) after the OS guide's. I have compared MANY slabbed books with the OSGG grades and they are basically the same.

CGC supposedly modeled their standards (whatever those are) after the OS guide's. I have compared MANY slabbed books with the OSGG grades and they are basically the same.

I can easily show you differences between what the OSGG states, and what CGC does, both good and bad, but that point has been belabored enough already.

For example, OS takes centering, staple placement and overall production quality into account and lists these as DEFECTS, while CGC does not.

I can easily show you differences between what the OSGG states, and what CGC does, both good and bad, but that point has been belabored enough already.

For example, OS takes centering, staple placement and overall production quality into account and lists these as DEFECTS, while CGC does not.

That is true, they do list production flaws as defects. I was talking more about the what handling damage is allowable in which grade, like this many spine stresses gets you this grade, this long a crease drops it to that grade, ect. Setting aside production flaws, they are actually very similar. Hell, the OSGG even has pictures of books in CGC slabs illustrating some of their grades.

I would settle for 8.0 but me still thinks 8.5. I guess it's much better having book in hand.

Looks like a standard modern 8.0 to me. Nice enough book, but with enough issues to drop it into the VF range.