• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Puzzler #2 - What does "NM, unread" mean?

11 posts in this topic

All of the fun on eBay without having to deal with it yourself...

After yesterdays successful 893scratchchin-thumb.gif question about non-selling sellers, I figured fate would be harsh with me... and that may be.

I recently sold a book that I purchased new and never read. It was originally wrapped, but I got rid of that 'cause I was intending to read it... just never got around to it.

So, my ad said the book was NM, unread, and missing only the wrap.

Little did I know what lurked beneath the covers.... 893whatthe.gif

Apparently, the buyer is blaming me for a printer's miscut on an interior page.

Now, I tend to believe the customer is always right and will be refunding their money.

But - out of curiousity - is a printing mistake something I should have caught? I usually don't go through all of my books to check.

Hoping I don't still get a neg for this,

Fan4Fan

Depends on the retail value of the comic. Don't really expect u to count all the pages & check for production tears on a long box of $10 & less valued comics b4 putting them up on eBay at say $1, no reserve.

Here's a Hulk I am selling now on eBay described as nm- unread, but I did do a quick check for page count & to check for anything cut out due to vintage.

tta85.jpg

This was actually a hardcover reprint collection...

Like I said, I don't have a problem with him returning it. I just want to know if I "should" have caught it or if I can get the board's forgiveness grin.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

You did not mention that it was a hardcover before. Was it still sealed in the factory sealed shrinkwrap?

If it was, then they are out of luck. If it wasn't, you should always do a visual check of the entire product before you list it on e-bay.

Kev

Was it still sealed in the factory sealed shrinkwrap?

If it was, then they are out of luck. If it wasn't, you should always do a visual check of the entire product before you list it on e-bay.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Shrinkwrap came off since I was going to read it, but I never got around to it.

Made the assumption 893naughty-thumb.gif that it was OK on the inside (been a long, long time since I've gotten a comic or book with any kind of printing errors).

Live and learn!

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

That makes sense. I've bought hardcovers with shrink wrap on them with flaws that weren't apparant until after I took the wrap off.

If bought at a bricks and mortar store I would go on for an exchange or return but I probably wouldn't if I bought it online or at a convention.

But if I sold a sealed shrink-wrapped hardcover on e-bay I might say something like - "Still sealed in factory shrinkwrap so interiors cannot be checked. Apparant NM. Sold as is."

Kev

Well, while I don't intend on selling the other hardcovers I get (not that I intended to sell these), I've learned not to unwrap them until I actually read them.

So, I will submit to flailing with a soggy copy of Heroes Reborn Captain America #1 blush.gif.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan