• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a show in the Bay area before Wondercon?

31 posts in this topic

I think I am going to have an open house in Sept. followed by forum members going out to dinner.

Would love to see you, for sure. Might have a Detective for you (who knows) and tons of great moderns at a buck or sets at less than $1 each.

But here's the news on the show--there has always been a "Super-Con" put on by Steve Wyatt in Hayward in October (though last year it was something like Sept. 29). However, I get the feeling from the website that he's ditching that to focus on his big May show, which has taken the Super-Con name. I plan on finding out by the first week in September, if not earlier.

Marc

There is a show September 3 (Labor Day Weekend) in Sacramento.

http://www.sacramentocomics.com/

I have three tables with Jeffreykli (and possibly Jimm94). I also got CW (Fantastic Comics) a table near ours (two tables down). Felix may also have a table according to CW.

BetterthanEzra, a regular at the Valiant boards also sets up there.

You might also see Neurosis138 (sp) walking around as well (among others.)

(I just noticed they increased their hours from 10 - 5.)

Actually, I talked to Dan last week and I'm going to be at Sacramento too.

That's good to know about the Hayward con, though a little worrisome in terms of attendance if no one knows about it.

Marc

Steve is a nice guy, but his lackluster promotion of his shows leaves much to be desired. How many shows in a row is this where he has dropped the ball on promotion? screwy.gif

Ah a chance to bring all of those damn Burger King Standees out of storage. Anyone looking for a giant Darth Vader holding Biggie Fries instead of a lightsaber? It is a fun show to be at just because the Forum folks are there. Probably not a ton of old Batman/Detective in nice shape.

FFB you coming?

As for Hayward. I didn't even know there was one this year and I am a 2 year regular dealer at that show. I thought I heard somewhere the price was going up as well(per table)(Just heresay on my part) Last year I brought all of my Slabs expecting big things. I think I sold 1 book. There weren't a lot of people at the show but there were a few good artists which makes it up for me.

-Chris

Ah a chance to bring all of those damn Burger King Standees out of storage. Anyone looking for a giant Darth Vader holding Biggie Fries instead of a lightsaber? It is a fun show to be at just because the Forum folks are there. Probably not a ton of old Batman/Detective in nice shape.

FFB you coming?

To which show? Hayward? Not unless I really have nothing better to do that weekend. It almost wasn't worth the gas money last year.

As for Hayward. I didn't even know there was one this year and I am a 2 year regular dealer at that show. I thought I heard somewhere the price was going up as well(per table)(Just heresay on my part) Last year I brought all of my Slabs expecting big things. I think I sold 1 book. There weren't a lot of people at the show but there were a few good artists which makes it up for me.

-Chris

Which justifies the cost of admission, but not the cost of a dealer's table. 27_laughing.gif

Damn Right!

No, I meant Sac.

Damn Right!

No, I meant Sac.

My wife would kill me if I left her at home on Labor Day weekend to go to a comic show.

This is why you force her.. er.. I meant appoint her as the CFO of your comic selling enterprise...

Or as Will Ferrell says in Wedding Crashers, "You want to come WITH?"

Shin's got it figured out.

To which show? Hayward? Not unless I really have nothing better to do that weekend. It almost wasn't worth the gas money last year.

Come on, chance to have lunch with Pov? Priceless. cloud9.gif

As for promotion, he supposedly went all out with advertising at movie theaters for the 2003 Hayward show and it was steady. Slower in 2004. I skipped 2005 but attended. It's a decent show for selling dollar books. Wormboy was very happy with the show last year because he was dumping books. I should know, I went home with two short boxes. 27_laughing.gif

Marc

I think I am going to have an open house in Sept. followed by forum members going out to dinner.

Would love to see you, for sure. Might have a Detective for you (who knows) and tons of great moderns at a buck or sets at less than $1 each.

But here's the news on the show--there has always been a "Super-Con" put on by Steve Wyatt in Hayward in October (though last year it was something like Sept. 29). However, I get the feeling from the website that he's ditching that to focus on his big May show, which has taken the Super-Con name. I plan on finding out by the first week in September, if not earlier.

Marc

Marc,

If you have an open House, I will be there, but there better be a Detective for me!

Damn Right!

No, I meant Sac.

My wife would kill me if I left her at home on Labor Day weekend to go to a comic show.

Actually, Labor Day weekend is a perfect opportunity to ditch one's spouse on a Sunday. You can just make up for it by hanging out on Monday! yay.gif

I can sympathize though - Amy and I will have a ton of packing to do, and I don't know how happy she'll be if I take off for a day to go play comic book with my friends. Maybe if I take stuff to sell it will ease the pain... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif Melissa said "go ahead, I know you want to do the show." grin.gif That's why she's a keeper. Although, now that I think about it, it was also because I sold a bunch of stuff at the last Sacto show, and she took the money for a spa day. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif