• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade My Detective #73

37 posts in this topic

Even if you want to keep the book (and it is gorgeous), I would think at least a token partial refund is still in order. In fairness, and however unknowing it was on Metro's part, it sounds like your book had a flaw that was bound to get worse (and conceivably could continue to get worse).

Never heard of color touch adhering to a Mylar...I assume that means it was applied very heavily in those areas? Anyone else ever experienced this? confused-smiley-013.gif

In Metropolis grading section, there is a key to what the abbriations mean. They do this to save space.

Also, several dealers use "mr" for moderate restoration. It is not a new thing.

It comes down to this, people have to do their homework before making a purchase. Especially when from a website or eBay.

"They do this to save space."

No offense TDK, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard . . . and if you believe this than I have a bridge to sell you. insane.gif

i'm thinking around a 7.5, as well..........

also agree that a phone call would be in order based on the color touched pieces sticking to the mylar...................... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The ink wasn't even dry yet . . . 27_laughing.gif

Is this book really that hard to find around this grade unrestroed? I remember PGCMint had a 7.0 about 2 or 3 years ago that sat on their site for a long time. I almost bought it because I was collecting Detective's from that time period but decided to keep focusing on the Joker issues( except for the 66 I purchased).

None taken.

I'l explain slowly and try to use small words. "MR" takes up less space on the screen than "moderate restoration."

It's like using TDK instead of The Dark Knight.

If you do not know what something means on their site. Don't buy until you have found out. If you buy it without doing so, it's you own fault.

None taken.

I'l explain slowly and try to use small words. "MR" takes up less space on the screen than "moderate restoration."

It's like using TDK instead of The Dark Knight.

If you do not know what something means on their site. Don't buy until you have found out. If you buy it without doing so, it's you own fault.

I used TDK because I'm keyboard lazy. I'm not describing a book for sale for hundreds of dollars, if not more. Screen "space" ? Yep, it's definitely in short supply . . . yeahok.gif

I don't disagree with your point about education, but your defense of the seller in such cases is just ludicrous, as this case itself shows. Wooed by a 50% off sale, the buyer failed to take the time to investigate, and hit the BIN. At best it's contributory on the seller's part, and certainly not full disclosure . . .

But then, I don't say things like "it's your own fault" . . . I try not to blame victims for their ills grin.gif

I don't normally defend sellers, but I've dealt with Metropolis for almost a decade.

Also, I say things like "it's your own fault" because everyone is a victim these days. People need to take responsibility for their lives and stop blaming others for their mistakes.

This guy admited it and that I commend.

Not reading all the information is something we've all done. I've been burned by it before, like everyone else, but I accept that it was my fault for not checking everything first.

I know that I am blunt, and it can offend some. For that I'll apologize, but it doesn't change my opinion.

In Metropolis grading section, there is a key to what the abbriations mean. They do this to save space.

Also, several dealers use "mr" for moderate restoration. It is not a new thing.

It comes down to this, people have to do their homework before making a purchase. Especially when from a website or eBay.

"They do this to save space."

No offense TDK, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard . . . and if you believe this than I have a bridge to sell you. insane.gif

Reminds me of an old Monty Python sketch, John Cleese or someone was arguing with a store owner over the phrase 'contains lark's vomit' and how small it was written on the label where he felt it should have been in huge bold letters.

I agree, if 'mr' was the only notation on the listing that referenced the restoration, that's lame at best.

I don't normally defend sellers, but I've dealt with Metropolis for almost a decade.

Also, I say things like "it's your own fault" because everyone is a victim these days. People need to take responsibility for their lives and stop blaming others for their mistakes.

This guy admited it and that I commend.

Not reading all the information is something we've all done. I've been burned by it before, like everyone else, but I accept that it was my fault for not checking everything first.

I know that I am blunt, and it can offend some. For that I'll apologize, but it doesn't change my opinion.

I appreciate your candidness - no need to apologize for anything. Nor am I seeking to change your opinion . . . grin.gif

As to people "taking responsibility", perhaps you could use a little "compassion" in your thoughts . . . otherwise, it's just a world of 'bigger fishes" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just checked Metropolis' list of abbreviations, and mr is not listed. I thought mr stood for "minor restoration", and I e-mailed them to ask what the restoration was. They responded that they had bought the book restored, weren't sure what was done, and they thought it had been "cleaned, tear seals and staple reinforecment." They mentioned nothing about color touch. Of the over 50 abbreviations they do list, I could see someone being confused - e.g. r = restored, rstd = rusted, and mnr = minor. I have also had good experience with Metropolis, and I am fairly certain the buyer will be happy whatever the outcome is.

They responded that they had bought the book restored, weren't sure what was done, and they thought it had been "cleaned, tear seals and staple reinforecment." They mentioned nothing about color touch. Of the over 50 abbreviations they do list, I could see someone being confused - e.g. r = restored, rstd = rusted, and mnr = minor

Does it really save space to list "minor" instead of "mnr". Also, "mr" could mean several things especially if they are using abreviations that aren't even listed in their abreviation guide!

The idea that they weren't even sure what resto was done on the book is a little concerning as well.

I am very compassionate when I sell books. But not all people are. Of course I feel for these people. I've done it myself. We all have. But don't blame others for your own mistakes.

Not talkin' about books . . talkin' about life. I never blame others for my mistakes sumo.gif