• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Finally bought a book older than me.

24 posts in this topic

That's right. Now I bet a lot of people here may remember when this comic came out but I finally got it and love it. The comic I'm referring to is Daredevil #111, the first appearance of the Silver Samurai, which came out in 1974 I think. A full 7 years before I was born. Only paid $2 for it too. Strange that he looks so different than he does now. Anyway, It's a great comic and the cover looks so good behind the mylar. It feels so weird, this is the only thing I own right now that is older than I am.

What is the oldest comic you guys own? And how many years between the oldest one you own and your birth?

I dont collect Golden Age yet..I collect Silver Age and up but I have a golden age crime comic from the early 1950s cant remember the name..(its busted up) 27_laughing.gif..besides that it would be 1963

It feels so weird, this is the only thing I own right now that is older than I am.

You definitely deserve some congratulations on your purchase! I am really into history and antiques and old things so it's not weird to me to have things like that. However, I wonder how much I have that is older than me besides books, comics, and magazines? Probably not much. Even if I have things from my childhood they wouldn't be older, by definition. I suppose I have my dad's baseball cards from the 1950s and those are paper too. Hmm, you're really making me think about this here! smile.gif When my parents die I will inherit a lot of minor antiques and old photos and possessions (everything from victrolas to vintage tennis racquets) which I guess happens to most of us.

Of course I have mountains of comics older than me. Essentially everything 10-cent or 12-cent fits the bill. Oldest comic-related is an issue of Comic Monthly from 1922. Oldest comic right now is Popular Comics #4 from 1936 which is 32 years older than I am. Got Borock beat! yay.gifflowerred.gif

MN1224.gif

That's right. Now I bet a lot of people here may remember when this comic came out but I finally got it and love it. The comic I'm referring to is Daredevil #111, the first appearance of the Silver Samurai, which came out in 1974 I think. A full 7 years before I was born. Only paid $2 for it too. Strange that he looks so different than he does now. Anyway, It's a great comic and the cover looks so good behind the mylar. It feels so weird, this is the only thing I own right now that is older than I am.

What is the oldest comic you guys own? And how many years between the oldest one you own and your birth?

Great post, Justin, and welcome to the collecting madness.... thumbsup2.gif

I have always loved collecting comics that are (much) older than me. I was born in '72, and as a kid in the late '70s/early '80s, I would often take my meager allowance, go to the comic store and buy the oldest beat-up 1960s comic I could afford. Of course, it's much easier to find & afford them today, but I just thought it was so amazingly cool, to own something that old in any condition.

In a sense, I've never lost that mentality...in the last 5-6 years, I've gravitated to collecting comics from the 1939-1941 era. They are amazing time capsules of an earlier era, and I still get that same sense of awe from them. So to answer, my earliest comics are from 1939, 33 years before my birth.

Geez Justin, wasn't difficult to find a book older than you! I have clothing older than you! poke2.gif And Borock has clothing MUCH, MUCH older than me!! gossip.gif

Just kidding with you, 27_laughing.gif, it is a great feeling to have. One I still get whenever I buy a book significantly older than me.

For me to answer your question directly would be to start a flame war among certain people who hold different opinions of what is or is not a comic book.

For those those accept victorian/platinum age books as comics, then my oldest would be this from 1882:

Brownies.jpg

The unquestionable oldest comic book, at least one that clearly fits within our accepted understanding of the modern day book, would be this from 1933 which is recognized as the second comic book by the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide:

FamousFunnies.jpg

Now since the above book was a giveaway, if you want to only refer to books that were sold to the public, then it would be this issue from 1935:

NewFun2.jpg

Keep buying older books. There are a tremendous amount of Golden Age books from the 1940s that remain inexpensive, and they are simply GREAT to own! thumbsup2.gif

My oldest comic is Warrior Comics #1 from 1945. That would make it 37 years older than I am.

And, a very beautiful book it is. I bet a great guy sold it to you to. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Eh, I have seen pictures of him and he looks a little sketchy.

This is great seeing all these great comics. I must say though, for me now, part of the excitement is checking out all the old advertisements in the old comics. lot of mail away stuff and things, it's really neat seeing what was hot back then. Not a http://www. anywhere. HA!

Congrats! The oldest book I own is Brave & Bold #12 from 1957, 15 years older than I am. There's a great line in one of the educational cartoon pages, "By the end of the year, NASA will have launched the world's first artificial satellite into orbit..."

I often wish I had money so I could scratch my antiquarian itch more often. I stopped in an antique store during my honeymoon and came across a broadsheet newspaper from 1829. The lead story kept referring to "President Adams". How cool would that have been to own? At $90, though, after all the wedding expenses, it wasn't happening...maybe someday.

This is great seeing all these great comics. I must say though, for me now, part of the excitement is checking out all the old advertisements in the old comics. lot of mail away stuff and things, it's really neat seeing what was hot back then. Not a http://www. anywhere. HA!

Justin, you might find this thread of interest from the GA section where we posted ads in our books of those books we wished we owned!

GA Advertisements

Geez Justin, wasn't difficult to find a book older than you! I have clothing older than you! poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif I have a University of Michigan wastebasket (a nice tall steel one) that is older than him! smile.gif

Nice books Mark!

I agree with you about cheap GA. Tons of great $7 to $25 books out there.

Marc