• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for DC collectors

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,I'm mainly a Timely/Atlas collector and think I have a pretty good read on that market but I'm pretty clueless on the pricing of golden age DC superhero comics. That said, over the last few years I've acquired about 10 to 15 DC issues from my LCS and was wondering on what is the best way to sell them. Should I get them slabbed or not? Is ebay better than the CL, etc. The issues are generally from the mid to late 1940's and in grades from 6 to 8 range. I've attached some indicative scans. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ww21.jpg

sup39.jpg

sensation57.jpg

det127.jpg

bat55.jpg

adv93.jpg

Unless there is something special about a particular issue (key appearance, rarity, etc), I usually recommend refraining from submitting a book to CGC unless it will grade out at least an 8.0 (or maybe a 7.5) or is worth more than $750.

E-bay can work, but it is more of a buyer's market than sellers. I have had some good fortune through my e-bay store but, of course, that means you have to wait until the buyer comes to you. I highly recommend exploring different methods of sales and not place your apples in one basket.

sensation57.jpg

PM Buck Biggins about this one.

Sargon the Sorcerer by Joe Kubert. cloud9.gif

I disagree with Mark, but only in scale. Without having a pretty decent list of buyeres who trust that you sell unrestored, you are pretty much are going to have to CGC the books to sell them at near guide. I would lower the standard to VG/F and or $300. You'll still only get guide for 7.0 or less but without CGC most of the time you can only get 70% to 80% of guide on a $300 book that makes out to $60 to $90 and economy grading is about $30 per book all in. If a book is $500 or less CGC won't ding you if you go with Economy.

Plus w CGC there is huge liquidity that raw simply won't give you. Outside of ebay there really is nowhere to sell raw books. It can be done but its very difficult, unless you already have something established. It may seem like spending $30 to get guide on a $250 book isn't worth it but whats the alternative, getting $160 off ebay? Letting it sit on a website for 6 months st $220 or paying $200 and a Saturday to do a show?

That said, I don't know how many of the above books would garner more than $250? The WW, Adv, and Sup 39 probably won't but the 2 Batmans and Sensation might if they are around Fines.

Ed

I agree with ft88. GA ebay buyers do not trust seller's grading, which is fine if you are talking about G-VG books. Once you go higher, I think you need to CGC for eBay to get close to full guide.

I also agree with ft88. Some raw books do sell higher on Ebay, but that's because the owner has exaggerated the grade. The seller will list the GA book as VF/NM, the bidding goes up to VF guide value, but the book is really a FN. I've seen this happen on many occassions. I'd rather send the book to CGC and get the maximum price for the FN grade, than take a loss on selling it raw or lying about the grade. I would hate for someone lose $100 on their purchase because my grading was not conservative enough per CGC standards.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'll probaby try the Boards first and if that doesn't work I'll send a couple to CGC. Thanks again and by request here is the back cover of the Batman 55.

bat55bc.jpg

I've paid over guide for accurately graded Golden Age on the boards.

I've also paid 40-70% on lower to mid grade books, and higher on key covers.

You'll do well just selling here and would likely do fine on ebay but the additional fees need to be taken into account as well.

ps I had a copy of that beautiful black ww cover that had some water damage, not bad, but I recall selling it very cheap. Otherwise it would have been a VF. I should have kept it.

Good luck.

I disagree with Mark, but only in scale. Without having a pretty decent list of buyeres who trust that you sell unrestored, you are pretty much are going to have to CGC the books to sell them at near guide. I would lower the standard to VG/F and or $300. You'll still only get guide for 7.0 or less but without CGC most of the time you can only get 70% to 80% of guide on a $300 book that makes out to $60 to $90 and economy grading is about $30 per book all in. If a book is $500 or less CGC won't ding you if you go with Economy.

Plus w CGC there is huge liquidity that raw simply won't give you. Outside of ebay there really is nowhere to sell raw books. It can be done but its very difficult, unless you already have something established. It may seem like spending $30 to get guide on a $250 book isn't worth it but whats the alternative, getting $160 off ebay? Letting it sit on a website for 6 months st $220 or paying $200 and a Saturday to do a show?

That said, I don't know how many of the above books would garner more than $250? The WW, Adv, and Sup 39 probably won't but the 2 Batmans and Sensation might if they are around Fines.

Ed

I agree with you guys about the ebay concerns for non-CGC books and I share the same attitude.

With respect to the $$$ value, geez guys, I don't have time to deal with books at only $300! poke2.gif

I agree with you guys about the ebay concerns for non-CGC books and I share the same attitude.

With respect to the $$$ value, geez guys, I don't have time to deal with books at only $300! poke2.gif

Feel free to send any sub-$300 books my way. I'd be happy to help you keep them from cluttering up your house... . cool.gif

The members who said slabbing will probably help maximize your return are probably correct, but I hate to think of mid grade, mid-run, non-key golden age getting slabbed.

Wouldn't you rather sell them to a collector, like me for instance, who will leave them raw, read them and treasure them?

Any books I buy slabbed that are less than 9.0 get removed from their prisons the day I receive them.

And by the way I bought a slabbed Flash 57 on eBay the other day for around 85% of guide. It is now free!