• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1, Truly what is the draw.

95 posts in this topic

You know, I might not be aware of every GA Cover but at the time, it seems like the cover to Superman #1 is the first time that a "picture frame" style was used on a cover. Very unusual, which is to me makes it desirable.

The 100% exact reason why Superman #1 is so very expensive[besides the obvious historic reasons] is that it is RARE in unrestored condition over 6.0.

Listen to that very carefully because it is 100% ACCURATE...Superman #1 in unrestored 6.0 or higher IS NOT SCARCE... IT IS RARE! It is the exact reason I bought the 6.0. I knew this for a fact. This book attracted crayons like a magnet to metal.Most Superman 1s will come up restored.Didnt say all but most.

thumbsup2.gif

Scott asked me to describe the Windy City Superman 1. I remembered one particular flaw - I'll never forget it actually since this is the first book that the Windy City seller showed me in September 1978 - that someone had set a wet glass or bottle on the front cover causing a round stain.

My grading notes say the following: FAIR - Spine split 1/3 of book; Water damage on cover and 4 pages.

I've only owned 3 copies in my career. The Windy City, a coverless copy that was stolen in a break-in of my shop in 1981, and a copy that was removed from a bound volume with the corresponding spine damage.

--Gary

The 100% exact reason why Superman #1 is so very expensive[besides the obvious historic reasons] is that it is RARE in unrestored condition over 6.0.

Listen to that very carefully because it is 100% ACCURATE...Superman #1 in unrestored 6.0 or higher IS NOT SCARCE... IT IS RARE! It is the exact reason I bought the 6.0. I knew this for a fact. This book attracted crayons like a magnet to metal.Most Superman 1s will come up restored.Didnt say all but most.

so do you think that there will always be the four known best copies?

Dave's no-pedigree copy

Church restored/unrestored copy

7.5 copy

and your sweet 6.0 copy?

or is there yet another known raw copy in a collection someone knows about?

If this is it, maybe the 250K for the 7.5 wasnt as bad a deal as I thought...

I don't own a Superman #1 but I have been collecting a long time and have always been interested in this book as an "unatainable holy grail" for me.

There are not thousands of copies out there.

It's rare and it's a cool, it's the real deal. yay.gif

Who knows Amano?

There are indeed lots of Superman 1s out there.I am not denying that.The very beauty of that cover is just a natural crayon attracter to me.Its going to be very tuff to find that book untouched....

There are enough of them out there that there has to be at least 1 or 2 untoched ungraded beauties out there some where.but I think thats about it...

The book was made to be disected and posted on a wall[pin ups] like the back cover.....for this book to survive unrestored? Man thats tuff.

Sorry to disagree with the board but the 7.5 for 250k was right on the mark.That would be its value today. There are unpublished and published sales that you may not know about that solidify that price....7.5 will get 250k today in a wink!

Sorry to disagree with the board but the 7.5 for 250k was right on the mark.That would be its value today. There are unpublished and published sales that you may not know about that solidify that price....7.5 will get 250k today in a wink!

Peter, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the value in the marketplace of Anderson's copy, assuming it's the best existing copy and is around VF/NM.

Who knows Amano?

There are indeed lots of Superman 1s out there.I am not denying that.The very beauty of that cover is just a natural crayon attracter to me.Its going to be very tuff to find that book untouched....

There are enough of them out there that there has to be at least 1 or 2 untoched ungraded beauties out there some where.but I think thats about it...

The book was made to be disected and posted on a wall[pin ups] like the back cover.....for this book to survive unrestored? Man thats tuff.

I have never seen a copy with crayons all over it. Is that something you have seen alot of?

Being that Dave sold the Mile High and the 7.5 I would think that is a pretty good indication that he has a better copy.

Its certainly better than a 7.5 but how high I dont know.

I think realistically a 9.0 would get 450k. At that price you are really in the realm of a very few buyers but they are there, so I dont want to go crazy with the upper limits on this price.If the 9.0 is really the highest grade than we are in a realm of price that has never been dealt with before so predicting its upper limits is very difficult

Being that Dave sold the Mile High and the 7.5 I would think that is a pretty good indication that he has a better copy.

Its certainly better than a 7.5 but how high I dont know.

I think realistically a 9.0 would get 450k. At that price you are really in the realm of a very few buyers but they are there, so I dont want to go crazy with the upper limits on this price.If the 9.0 is really the highest grade than we are in a realm of price that has never been dealt with before so predicting its upper limits is very difficult

I agree with that. If its the best copy, we can only speculate on its 'value' and what a buyer would pay. So Dave has the best Action 1/Superman 1/Tec 27. gee. how's his Batman 1 ?? All American 16 ? and More Fun 52?? This guy is amazing!