• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1, Truly what is the draw.

95 posts in this topic

...I do believe that there are potentially dozens of high grade Superman #1's in private collections that will surface within the next 10 years as those collectors attain retirement age or sadly pass on,...you have to step out of the tight constraints of "CGC Forum World" and realize that CGC does not represent comic collecting as a whole,..it's just a small sub culture....superman #1 if I remember correctly had close to a million copies printed and was released 3 times between the spring and summer of 1939....trust me,..there are more high grade copies out there waiting to pop...

Back in the 1980s, I met Siegel or Shuster (don't remember which one) and his wife was telling me how when Action #1 came out they had stacks of them all over the living room and were giving the books out to friends and family. I think she also said something like, "If we only knew..."

...I do believe that there are potentially dozens of high grade Superman #1's in private collections that will surface within the next 10 years as those collectors attain retirement age or sadly pass on,...you have to step out of the tight constraints of "CGC Forum World" and realize that CGC does not represent comic collecting as a whole,..it's just a small sub culture....superman #1 if I remember correctly had close to a million copies printed and was released 3 times between the spring and summer of 1939....trust me,..there are more high grade copies out there waiting to pop...

Back in the 1980s, I met Siegel or Shuster (don't remember which one) and his wife was telling me how when Action #1 came out they had stacks of them all over the living room and were giving the books out to friends and family. I think she also said something like, "If we only knew..."

Now that is a good story! thumbsup2.gif Wow. 893whatthe.gif

What grade is the Larson copy? Or the Windy City copy? Was there a Denver copy of Superman #1? Were there other pedigrees that contained a Superman #1 beside the Edgar Church copy?

as I said from talking to the "big guys", these Pedigrees either didnt have a Supes 1, or they were lower grade. But I did forget earlier that of course there IS one more HG copy ungraded: Dave Anderson's copy that he has, having passed on both the Church and the 7.5 that sold a few years ago for big bucks. Dave of course has the best of EACH of the DC Mega Keys. lucky bastisch!!

What grade is the Larson copy? Or the Windy City copy? Was there a Denver copy of Superman #1? Were there other pedigrees that contained a Superman #1 beside the Edgar Church copy?

as I said from talking to the "big guys", these Pedigrees either didnt have a Supes 1, or they were lower grade. But I did forget earlier that of course there IS one more HG copy ungraded: Dave Anderson's copy that he has, having passed on both the Church and the 7.5 that sold a few years ago for big bucks. Dave of course has the best of EACH of the DC Mega Keys. lucky bastisch!!

All of the pedigrees I listed (except Denver) has a confirmed Superman #1. The Larson copy is described as being a high grade copy. I don't know about the Windy City copy, but Gary Colabuono (Moondog) has seen it and could certainly tell us if it was high grade.

I thought I saw a SF copy of Supes #1 about 15 years ago... Maybe Allentown? I do know that there are fewer pedigree copies of this issue.

Thanks. I was wondering about whether there might be a San Francisco/Reilly copy of Superman #1, since the collection starts right around the time Superman #1 was released.

Does anyone know what the grade is? Maybe I'll PM Bob Beerbohm....

Scott PM'd me, i will chime in here with pointing out there was not Reilly copies of Superman #1 or #2 - the collection began with #3

The Action run began around #17

Marvel Mystery run began with #4

Tec 27 yes, no 28, 29 yes, no 30, 31 up complete thru summer of 1945

Whiz 2 (#1) up complete thru summer of 1945

I believe i posted a parameter list of what the Reilly collection contained on a CGC thread last year

I have to find it again in my computer

best

Robert Beerbohm

"The Larson copy is described as being a high grade copy."

Sorry Scott, the original Larson list states "Back cover missing" on the Supe # 1 Christo_pull_hair.gif

27_laughing.gif Well then that front cover must be reeeeeeeeeeally nice if it is still a "high grade" copy. stooges.gif

Seriously though, I got that from Matt Nelson's pedigree article. Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry Scott, the original Larson list states "Back cover missing" on the Supe # 1 Christo_pull_hair.gif

27_laughing.gif Well then that front cover must be reeeeeeeeeeally nice if it is still a "high grade" copy. stooges.gif

Seriously though, I got that from Matt Nelson's pedigree article. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe the list is wrong? Or it's been restored to high grade? I don't ever remember seeing the book...... confused-smiley-013.gif

The 100% exact reason why Superman #1 is so very expensive[besides the obvious historic reasons] is that it is RARE in unrestored condition over 6.0.

Listen to that very carefully because it is 100% ACCURATE...Superman #1 in unrestored 6.0 or higher IS NOT SCARCE... IT IS RARE! It is the exact reason I bought the 6.0. I knew this for a fact. This book attracted crayons like a magnet to metal.Most Superman 1s will come up restored.Didnt say all but most.

Maybe I'll email LuAnne and tell her to give her dad a hard time for clipping the back cover off.

The 100% exact reason why Superman #1 is so very expensive[besides the obvious historic reasons] is that it is RARE in unrestored condition over 6.0.

Listen to that very carefully because it is 100% ACCURATE...Superman #1 in unrestored 6.0 or higher IS NOT SCARCE... IT IS RARE! It is the exact reason I bought the 6.0. I knew this for a fact. This book attracted crayons like a magnet to metal.Most Superman 1s will come up restored.Didnt say all but most.

Post your copy again...I never get tired of seeing it and this threads deserves a prtty Supes #1 in it cloud9.gif