• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1, Truly what is the draw.

95 posts in this topic

Superman 1. Basically a repeat except for a few pages. The prices in my opinion are out of whack. Yes I know there is not a lot of high grade copies CGC'd, but there is high grade copies out there that have not been graded yet. Why are the prices so high, and no I am not in the market for a copy boo.gif

Superman 1. Basically a repeat except for a few pages. The prices in my opinion are out of whack. Yes I know there is not a lot of high grade copies CGC'd, but there is high grade copies out there that have not been graded yet. Why are the prices so high, and no I am not in the market for a copy boo.gif

Because its Superman, It's a VERY tough book to get with decent eye appeal. Great looking cover cool.gif

...yeah I don't get it either,... confused-smiley-013.gif,...why so much for an obscure golden age super hero?....

Yeah, particularly for some non-event like the first time a super hero got his own title. What a temporary fad that was! I mean, if it had run for another 1000 issues, then maybe it'd be worth noting, but it just ran another measly 423 issues, a mere 47 years! Christo_pull_hair.gif

...yeah I don't get it either,... confused-smiley-013.gif,...why so much for an obscure golden age super hero?....

Yeah, particularly for some non-event like the first time a super hero got his own title. What a temporary fad that was! I mean, if it had run for another 1000 issues, then maybe it'd be worth noting, but it just ran another measly 423 issues, a mere 47 years! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Too bad the first 422 issues suked. poke2.gif

I'm willing to cut you a little slack and say there is a kernal of truth in what you say, in that #1 issues tend to get more of a bump than they should when they are not the true first appearance. Although Supes 1 has a lot going for it, the prices realized for it may be just a touch high given the supply may be slightly greater than perceived. Personally, i think the nature of your argument tends to apply more to ASM 1. AF 15 seems to be undervalued relative to ASM 1, perhaps meaning ASM 1 is overpriced.

Superman #1 in any grade is a scarcer book than almost any other super hero first out there. Batman #1 exist in much greater number and come up for sale much more than Superman #1. Without a doubt Captain America #1, Wonder Woman #1, Flash #1... are any of them as important or in shorther supply than Superman #1?

It has a classic cover, it is the first comic dedicated solely to one superhero character, and it is perceived as a generally scarce book. All of that leads up to a solid demand for the book in any grade, and a good investment too.

One last thing...Superman has stayed in the media through each generation. Even today if a kid has never read a comic book ever, he has seen Superman movies, video games, Smallville TV show, toys, ad merchandise, cartoons....etc, etc.

Superman #1 in any grade is a scarcer book than almost any other super hero first out there. Batman #1 exist in much greater number and come up for sale much more than Superman #1.

So then why is Batman #1 so #%^&@#@ expensive given its common nature (in relation to other like books of course). Christo_pull_hair.gif

It is interesting to look at some of the other superhero books of the day and compare the first appearance to the first actual issue.

For example, All American #16 is FAR more sought after and valuable than Green Lantern #1, and the same is very clearly true for Flash #1 and All Flash #1.

Obviously not as distinct a difference between Detective #27 and Batman #1, both of which are always highly sought after.

Superman #1 in any grade is a scarcer book than almost any other super hero first out there. Batman #1 exist in much greater number and come up for sale much more than Superman #1.

So then why is Batman #1 so #%^&@#@ expensive given its common nature (in relation to other like books of course). Christo_pull_hair.gif

Just because Batman #1 is more common than Superman #1 doesn't mean it will be cheap...look at GPAnalysys between the two in mid grade (there are no blue label high grade Superman #1's in their database):

Batman #1 5.0 AVG is 27,000 with the last recorded sale being July 2006

Superman #1 5.0 AVG is 41,400 last recorded sale being Oct 2002

and look at the CGC census of Batman #1:

cgcbm1.jpg

and Superman #1:

cgcsm1.jpg

There really isn't a comparison. Although Batman #1 is not a reprint, it is not as desired, scarce, or historically important as Superman #1 :

With that being said...I wouldn't expect one to be cheap...it's probably one of the top 10 most important and desired books out there, it's just not at the same level as Superman #1 shy.gif

...I do believe that there are potentially dozens of high grade Superman #1's in private collections that will surface within the next 10 years as those collectors attain retirement age or sadly pass on,...you have to step out of the tight constraints of "CGC Forum World" and realize that CGC does not represent comic collecting as a whole,..it's just a small sub culture....superman #1 if I remember correctly had close to a million copies printed and was released 3 times between the spring and summer of 1939....trust me,..there are more high grade copies out there waiting to pop...