• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Shares... (aka: the top of the market is at hand)

52 posts in this topic

If you supply the money to buy all the shares we can do a leveraged buy out. Once we take posession of the book we will crack the book out of the slab, consider pressing, and ask CGC for a regrade. If this process results in no gain, the book should rise in value with the passage of time so we can sell the book for a profit and settle up. If this doesn't work, we will attempt to take the book public again as we try to induce new lemmings. If all else fails and we can't turn a profit you will own a nice Superman 1. How does it sound?

Closure of ComicShares.Com Market

At its sole discretion, ComicShares.Com may close down at any time. In this event, the Trading Floor will be closed. All items will be sold through a major CGC sales channel, such as ComicLink or Heritage Auction within 90 days of closure. As each item is sold and after payment has been received, the funds (minus any selling fees) will be distributed to the ComicShares.Com accounts of the item's shareholders in proportion to their ownership of the item.

Isn't this just how the NYSE works? screwy.gif

I think it makes sense and is not as looney as it is made out to be here. It all boils down to how much you trust the guy running the outfit.

When it comes down to it, it's not much different than Heritage. Don't they have a safe full of customer's books?

Myself and Comicdey tried to partner up on a book in the marketplace a while back.

Our plan was to each read it(send it from Manitoba to Alaska) then flip it on ebay.

We encountered into two problems

1st. We got outbid. tonofbricks.gif

2nd. Our marketing skills are both suspect. 27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

maybe next time. foreheadslap.gif

Hey, that's a comment worthy of JC! thumbsup2.gif

(i.e. completely off-base as we're talking about real keys, not speculative krap)

Buying shares in a comic = destined to fail (and probably spawn many lawsuits).

Uh, don't know if you saw it, but there's a Hulk #181 CGC 9.6, Ultimate Spidey #1 variant CGC 9.8 and a (Death of) Superman #75 (polybagged edition!) CGC 9.8 among the "investments" on the website's "Trading Floor". gossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gif

I'd say that the "speculative 893censored-thumb.gif" outnumbers your "real keys" by a wide margin. poke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gif

Hey, that's a comment worthy of JC! thumbsup2.gif

(i.e. completely off-base as we're talking about real keys, not speculative krap)

Buying shares in a comic = destined to fail (and probably spawn many lawsuits).

Uh, don't know if you saw it, but there's a Hulk #181 CGC 9.6, Ultimate Spidey #1 variant CGC 9.8 and a (Death of) Superman #75 (polybagged edition!) CGC 9.8 among the "investments" on the website's "Trading Floor". gossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gifgossip.gif

I'd say that the "speculative 893censored-thumb.gif" outnumbers your "real keys" by a wide margin. poke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gif

Hey, you can't quote me if I've already changed my post! makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

I didn't fully realize the extent of this calamity until I opened the link saw the "investments". tonofbricks.gif

But if I part of it...can someone else buy me out? Or get bought by Disney since they own everything?

I can see it now..."I'm going to do a hostile tender offer on your Hulk #181 CGC 9.6"!!! foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif No way, because if you do, I`m going to use my "poison hammer" defense and smash the hell out of the book!

This is just weird. Why would anyone want to own 1/16th of a book that they'll most likely never touch?

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart, Martin and Milhouse each pitched in to buy Radioactive Man #1 - good things did NOT ensue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is just weird. Why would anyone want to own 1/16th of a book that they'll most likely never touch?

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart, Martin and Milhouse each pitched in to buy Radioactive Man #1 - good things did NOT ensue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So you're saying we should just settle for the Carl Yaskremski with the long sideburns? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, people in the 17th century used to ask the same question about those new-fangled "limited companies".

They don't go far enough!

1368016-cbg2000.jpg

...manufactured collectible.

1368016-cbg2000.jpg.c959cf7b1483056daa2b54f42d1328b1.jpg

So you're saying we should just settle for the Carl Yaskremski with the long sideburns? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gifgrin.gif

You know, people in the 17th century used to ask the same question about those new-fangled "limited companies".

Not the same to me. There's a difference in owning something that is MEANT TO BE READ and or viewed by the owner.

This could just be me - I don't play the stock market because I can't handle the huge freakin' ups and downs. I KNOW that it's historically gained the best return by far from any other investment BUT

Just don't like IT or THIS. wink.gif

How did Joe C miss this thread?

If this isn't a harbinger of the end, I don't know what is.

Funds can be deposited into your account via PayPal (including credit card), check or money order. The preferred funding source is PayPal since this is the fastest way to get funds into your account.

Of course, we know that all legitimate stock trading outfits prefer Paypal. foreheadslap.gifinsane.gif

Here's a quick overview of how IPO Pre-Funding Works: First, ComicShares.Com identifies great collectibles that are currently for sale and targets it for purchase. Then, members are able to orders their IPO shares in advance through this pre-IPO funding page, just as they would a normal IPO. Once enough funds are available, ComicShares.Com negotiates with the seller and makes a bid for the item. Once the purchase is completed, the item is brought into the ComicShares.Com portfolio!

So what if it takes months to accumulate enough shares to purchase a ASM #1 or Superman #1?

Are my IPO shares held in escrow?

What if the purchase isn't successful? How and when do I get my money back? With interest?

Who in heaven is going to hand over their money to a total stranger -- possibly for months -- to make a [phantom?] purchase on an item [which hopefully exists] you have no control over?

tonofbricks.gif

Here's a quick overview of how IPO Pre-Funding Works: First, ComicShares.Com identifies great collectibles that are currently for sale and targets it for purchase. Then, members are able to orders their IPO shares in advance through this pre-IPO funding page, just as they would a normal IPO. Once enough funds are available, ComicShares.Com negotiates with the seller and makes a bid for the item. Once the purchase is completed, the item is brought into the ComicShares.Com portfolio!

So what if it takes months to accumulate enough shares to purchase a ASM #1 or Superman #1?

Are my IPO shares held in escrow?

What if the purchase isn't successful? How and when do I get my money back? With interest?

Who in heaven is going to hand over their money to a total stranger -- possibly for months -- to make a [phantom?] purchase on an item [which hopefully exists] you have no control over?

tonofbricks.gif

I'll sell you some partial interest in some of my better books. You'll have to fly up to alaska to view them, and only for a limited time, as I have to work during the week... poke2.gif Amazing if many people take this guy up on his purchasing approach. It smacks for the IRS guy that used other peoples money to make purchases.

Any books he owns can be sold off at auction as the "what was I thinking investing in this scheme collection". foreheadslap.gif