• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help on new Timely/Captain America #52 purchase...trimmed????

26 posts in this topic

Hey guys...I just bought a copy of Captain America Comics #52 off eBay for a ridiculous price. I'm a Silver/Bronze type-guy and know nothing about Golden Age books, but this was so cheap I just had to give it a shot and figured I had nothing to lose (only $50!).

Anyway, it arrived today and I have a bunch of questions about it. First, it is WAY too narrow for a Golden Age comic (I think)...I only have one other GA book (Whiz Comics #89) and this Cap is a good 1/4" narrower. I'm absolutely sure it has been trimmed...probably on all 3 sides. Can the experts please take a look and verify? It measures just 6 and 3/4" wide by 10 3/8" deep. Also, it only has ONE staple...right in the center of the spine. I don't see any other staple holes and it appears as if it was manufactured this way. Is that common? And finally...how many pages should it have? Thanks in advance...! flowerred.gif

Cap52.jpg

Cap52B.jpg

One staple is common for war era books.

Other than the chips, the edges do look un-naturally clean, so it probably is trimmed. However, it doesn't look like a hatchet job... the book is still very presentable, and for $50 I'd be happy with it.

Really appreciate all the input. Wow, after seeing Skybolt's copy I guess it might not be trimmed since the size looks identical. I sure wish it didn't have the missing edge pieces but at least it has really bright, glossy colors. I guess for $50 it is a bargain! yay.gif

Take a look at the book from the bottom as if it were laying on a table. Are the pages beveled or are they square cut? If beveled, then probably no trim. If square cut, then possible trim.

Also, is the book square or is it some weird trapezoid? If square, possibly not trimmed. If trapezoid, possibly trimmed, but GA books are notorious for being badly cut. (Check out Jumbo Comics 100 for a prime example. Most I've seen are trapezoid.)

Check out the restoration threads if you haven't already.

For true trimming/restoration detection, someone knowlegable needs to see the book in person.

But for $50, you got a good deal, trimmed or not.

Doesn't look trimmed - mid 1940s Timelys usually only had 1 staple and are often "skinny" in relation to other GA books, and sometimes look as if pages have been razored out resulting in oddball page counts, but not missing pages (to compy with war era paper quotas). Also GA quality control was not that great, so sometimes 2 copies of the same book can have different dimensions without post printer trimming.

How did that book slip by on ebay for only $50? Was it not listed in Golden Age? Bargains on ebay happen all the time, but not like that on GA Caps. 893whatthe.gif

Doesn't look trimmed - mid 1940s Timelys usually only had 1 staple and are often "skinny" in relation to other GA books, and sometimes look as if pages have been razored out resulting in oddball page counts, but not missing pages (to compy with war era paper quotas). Also GA quality control was not that great, so sometimes 2 copies of the same book can have different dimensions without post printer trimming.

How did that book slip by on ebay for only $50? Was it not listed in Golden Age? Bargains on ebay happen all the time, but not like that on GA Caps. 893whatthe.gif

yeah, how'd you get that one.... Christo_pull_hair.gifsumo.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

I guess I was very, very lucky! The auction did end early in the morning and was listed in the wrong category, but I'm still amazed it slipped by...I was the ONLY bidder! 893whatthe.gif I have almost zero knowledge of Golden Age but I figured for $50 I was practically stealing the book regardless of any restoration. Any idea how much something like this normally sells for in this condition? (probably only a 2.0 because of the big piece missing on the LBC)

Only my second GA book and my first Timely... cloud9.gif

Often Caps sell for over guide, especially in lower and therefore more affordable grades, though that may not be the case for the immediate post-war issues. The earlier War covers, and the scarcer later issues seem to have higher demand (48-58,60 having the lowest guide values). Still, Overstreet values that issue at $144 in 2.0, and under normal circumstances I doubt it would sell for less than $120 on ebay.

I remember that cover - the first Timelys I ever bought back in 1972 - included that issue, All-Select #10, and Sub-Mariner #20, All three for $50 (serious paper route money), and they were all in FN or better.

Even in inflation adjusted dollars, I'd take that deal again.