• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INFINITE DC GA Humor Thread

96 posts in this topic

I like it! Sputnik sparked a number of rocket-themed covers in kiddie comics. I have been trying to collect them in high grade but it's darn near impossible. Don't even bother asking me how many I've found.

I finally got one of these in today, and managed to pay under $30 shipped because it was mislisted. grin.gif What now has my interest peaked, is this may very well be the 1st app. of Dodo & the Frog, Not Funny Stuff #18 as is coomonly held. I always wondered why Overstreet has FS #18 as their intro with a Question mark, maybe its because this book can't be figured out exactly. Here is what I know...

Dodo & The Frog appeared in FS#18, on the stands on Dec. 11th 1946

This Wheaties giveaway is Copyrighted 1946, with offers that expire inside December 1, 1947. It also has a winter cover, so it was probably made at right about the same time. The story is original, not a reprint. My guess is it was released also around Christmas of 1946, so which actually came out first? frustrated.gif Does anyone care but me? 27_laughing.gif If anyone knows more about the release date on this, please tell me!

1485676-fswheaties.jpg

1485676-fswheaties.jpg.9d6680d050ee1702d4346ffaa27de406.jpg

This was the number one book on my Funny Stuff run hit list. Not only could I not find a copy for sale, I couldn't even find a picture of it any better then this...

fs30.jpg

Today in the mailbox I got this Beauty! Which brings me to a main point I have since I switched collecting Pre-code horror era GA for 40's era, the Paper quality is so much better! I have many GA 40's books with whites this nice on bouncy fresh paper, but try finding any 1950's books with similar qualities, its a nightmare! Comics really took a dive when they started using cheaper paper

sumo.gif

1485697-fs30.jpg

As a side note, this is one of 12 FS issues that have had zero to 1 copy come up for sale since last January. Still 2 I have NEVER Seen offered for sale. Its a tough run! Ian managed to do it though.....

1485697-fs30.jpg.02f182e8e19660f599aa684d0ef40377.jpg

Great catch! I love obscure giveaways like this, and the mystery of the first Dodo & Frog appearance makes it even better. At least you had the confidence to put it here, not on the Short Bus like my Wonder Book of Rubber series. I wish I could help with some info.

People following their own muse is what makes the hobby interesting to me, not whether a slabbed copy of a 5-year-old X-Men book is 9.8 or 9.9, but to each his own.

I wonder why #30 is so scarce. Christmas cover collectors competing for it?

Jack

(Did you have to buy two boxes of Wheaties too?)

I finally got one of these in today, and managed to pay under $30 shipped because it was mislisted. grin.gif What now has my interest peaked, is this may very well be the 1st app. of Dodo & the Frog, Not Funny Stuff #18 as is coomonly held. I always wondered why Overstreet has FS #18 as their intro with a Question mark, maybe its because this book can't be figured out exactly. Here is what I know...

Dodo & The Frog appeared in FS#18, on the stands on Dec. 11th 1946

This Wheaties giveaway is Copyrighted 1946, with offers that expire inside December 1, 1947. It also has a winter cover, so it was probably made at right about the same time. The story is original, not a reprint. My guess is it was released also around Christmas of 1946, so which actually came out first? frustrated.gif Does anyone care but me? 27_laughing.gif If anyone knows more about the release date on this, please tell me!

1485676-fswheaties.jpg

I was impressed by how nice the Wheaties giveaway was. Really like a slightly smaller comic with newspaper covers. Not skimpy in page count or content at all.

Hahaha! Those rubber books cracked me up too... foreheadslap.gif

As for the #30 I don't think its tough because of Christmas cover collectors, I doubt many even know about it since its not in Gerber or in Overstreets or websites except for Mike's Amazing World of DC comics (Where the written on scan is from). I think its more that almost all the really tough issues are clumped between #25-36. Out of those #26, 29 & 32 are among the easiest of the run, but the rest not so.

Ian's Last 100 still had these missing

27, 28, 31, 34, 36, 37, 39, with the #37 being in the last 13. Of those I still need 34 & 39 but got the rest.

Its weird for me, I have had 2 37's and seen 3 others, so I am not sure why it was so tough for Ian. I have never seen 33 or 34 for sale. I think it really boils down to dealers really just not offering the books thinking there is no demand. VGs of those books only guide at $20, and often sell for $10 on ebay, so ther eisn't much incentive to offer them. Of course, with all non superhero Genre's, ESPECIALLY funny animal, no one cared for decades so the attrition is bad.

Thanks for posting the back cover. thumbsup2.gif Interesting how those two elves standing at point blank range can't hit the broad side of a barn.

And what an odd looking cow eating Ice Cream, which may or may not have come from the milk that might have come from.............

two More Rudolphs.... I really like the subtle coloring on the 1951 on the wreath & bow

1488837-rud51.jpg

That's a darn nice looking comic book! 893applaud-thumb.gif