• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America 74

25 posts in this topic

I think there's a good chance that Marty Nodell penciled it. He was in the bullpen at the time this book came out. It's very much in his style. Recently I saw a Subby cover rough and a photostat of the Cap 75 cover...

I wonder what role Dr. Jean Thompson, MD, psychiatrist played? confused-smiley-013.gif

Probably very little, other than having her (his?) name attached to it as a bit of CYA. This would have come out about a year after Wertham's "Horror in the Nursery" article. There is an anti-Wertham editorial in CA 71, but I've never seen it. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a line in it about how all their comics are approved by their staff psychiatrist (who had probably just been hired). I knew that DC did something like this, but I didn't realize Timely/Atlas did as well. Cool stuff.

Wow I've never seen the inside. Now I have to get a copy! grin.gif

Yeah, it's pretty off beat for a cap. story. I would love a copy as well, but it's a little out of my price range. I'll just have to settle for my digital representation.

-Chris

I think there's a good chance that Marty Nodell penciled it. He was in the bullpen at the time this book came out. It's very much in his style. Recently I saw a Subby cover rough and a photostat of the Cap 75 cover...

Cap 74 cover is Nodell, while Cap 75 cover is Gene Colan. Not sure about who drew the cap story but Nodell is certainly a possibility.