• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROB HUGHES AKA WATERWALKER, NEW HEAD GRADER???

48 posts in this topic

Global grading service, owners used to work for PSA, were grading cards and now are moving into comics. Currently seeking or may have already gotten financing.

Tell us more???

guess I was lazy and should have checked Bobs website! Its a real Rant and Rave!! says so right at the top of the page. So is Borack OUT?......or does Bob just wish he will be? or is Rob Hughes just gonna be the top dog at PSA while Steve continues on sadly eclipsed in power at CGC? Im so confused tonight.

So is Borack OUT?......or does Bob just wish he will be?

He's out! I'm sure Bob would have checked with the official scorekeeper for who's in and who's out before he made such a claim on his web site. gossip.giftongue.gif

No no no...not "out" as in no longer working at CGC. "Out" as in he's no longer "fashionable." Bob's list is just the comic book equivalent of the goofy lists magazines like People run about "who's hot and who's not."

Were'nt the Hughes' (Robert and William...no relation), Greg Manning's purchasing and auction agents (employees).

Aren't they still JP_the Mint's employees (purchasing agents or something like that)?

Don't they still "work" in some capacity for Heritage?

And now R.Hughes is the head grader at CGC?

Am I right here or what? Now I'm confused. Anybody know for sure?

No, it looks like Hughes will be the head grader at PSA's new comic grading service. (GGS?)

I believe he's sarcastically suggesting that both CGC, PSA or "Global Grading" or whatever, Heritage, and Parrino are all in bed together since Hughes used to work for Manning and now works for Parrino. Hughes being a tie between PSA and the deepest pocket in comics does make you wonder.

Heritage, and Parrino are all in bed together since Hughes used to work for Manning and now works for Parrino. Hughes being a tie between PSA and the deepest pocket in comics does make you wonder.

The comic book world is such a small and insular one, that it is almost impossible for these kind of things NOT to happen. After all how many people out there are really qualified enough in terms of experience/standing/ respect in the comics field to head up a grading company?

Conections like this are bound to be made...at the end of the day it is the quality/reliability of the grading that is important.

If waterwalker Hughes grades like they used to at Executive Auctions, Long Beach, CA, I'll be shipping all my hi-grade to GGS for slabbing. His VF covers a multitude of sins. goodevil.gif

What exactly do you mean by that, "his VF covers a multitude of sins"?

If he's the one who did the grading on Manning's raw comic auctions a few years ago, I must say that he is a tight grader. I bought a few books that were dead-on or undergraded...got a Fantastic Four 29 they called 9.0 that looks 9.2 to me.