• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Thomas?

24 posts in this topic

My wife Jesse and I are in the recent issue!

So why are you in the issue? Spill it smile.gif

I actually was just talking with Roy the other day about writing an article for AE. Seems like the magazine touches on those topics everyone is interested in, yet no one takes the time to address...

I do wish though that I could afford a regular subscription...

Yes, that issue has been out for a while.

Aside for his AE work, actual comic book work from Roy recently span:

1) Stoker's Dracula

2) Giant-Size Invaders # 2

3) a failed attempt at a limited JSA series; failed because of the control DC wanted to have over Roy's story

4) his Anthem series for Heroic Publishing - Issue # 4

5) several upcoming books including: Stan Lee's Amazing Marvel Universe by Roy (with Stan), All-Star Companion Vol. 2, ...

He's keeping busy.

I actually was just talking with Roy the other day about writing an article for AE. Seems like the magazine touches on those topics everyone is interested in, yet no one takes the time to address...

I do wish though that I could afford a regular subscription...

If I remember correctly which dealer it was, Dale Roberts had a short box of Alter Ego at the Chicago show with a price tag of $3 a piece. You should try to contact him and see if he'll sell them to you for cheap. He was probably trying to move them anyway. His ebay story is here.

It seems to me that we have lost a great host of good writers from the 70s that aren't getting their props: Roy Thomas, Steve Gerber, Gerry Conaway, Bill Mantlo (lost to injury), Archie Goodwin (lost to death), David Anthony Kraft, Marv Wolfman, and Don McGregor.

Maybe it is just that they couldn't adapt to changes in the industry. Maybe they couldn't adapt to the illegalization of thought ballons. But I feel that the contribution that these people made to comics are being underappreciated.

If I remember correctly which dealer it was, Dale Roberts had a short box of Alter Ego at the Chicago show with a price tag of $3 a piece. You should try to contact him and see if he'll sell them to you for cheap. He was probably trying to move them anyway. His ebay story is here.

Thanks, I just found a lot of the past 15 issues on ebay for around that price smile.gif Can't wait to read them finally!

Thanks, I just found a lot of the past 15 issues on ebay for around that price smile.gif Can't wait to read them finally!

Good! I saw that lot last night as well but didn't know what your budget was. Plenty of cool reading in there. thumbsup2.gif

Can someone explain this to me: confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe they couldn't adapt to the illegalization of thought ballons

Check a BA and Modern book and you'll notice that thought balloons are going the way of the dodo. That's what the poster is saying: writing styles have evolved. Less thought balloons, no more omniscient caption, disappearing footnotes and path arrows and the pity of disappearing single-issue stories (Thank G. for Jonah Hex).

Can someone explain this to me: confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe they couldn't adapt to the illegalization of thought ballons

Check a BA and Modern book and you'll notice that thought balloons are going the way of the dodo. That's what the poster is saying: writing styles have evolved. Less thought balloons, no more omniscient caption, disappearing footnotes and path arrows and the pity of disappearing single-issue stories (Thank G. for Jonah Hex).

thumbsup2.gif

I thought someone actually made thought balloons illegal. Now a days you never know.... 27_laughing.gif

Good! I saw that lot last night as well but didn't know what your budget was. Plenty of cool reading in there. thumbsup2.gif

Yea, I justified it to my wife as "research".....