• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,461 posts in this topic

Here's an update:

Of course, I have the other approx 520 issues... :banana:

Nice to see such a nice set in my home town!! I have a very nice #4 but can't see selling it. Had it for 20 plus years.

By my count, there are four Edmontonians on the boards.

Here's an update:

Of course, I have the other approx 520 issues... :banana:

Nice to see such a nice set in my home town!! I have a very nice #4 but can't see selling it. Had it for 20 plus years.

By my count, there are four Edmontonians on the boards.

Yes, Mel (Silvermine) is on here but mostly to promote his Ebay auctions. I've never met a nicer guy. Apparently he sold most of his stock to Wizards and it will soon appear on their walls. Who is the fourth?

I have a collegue here in Irvine (we're owned by IBI GROUP in Toronto...also all other major Canadian cities) who was up to Edmonton several times around the first part of the year for a project...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :insane:

Signed

Southern-California Boy (:

I have a collegue here in Irvine (we're owned by IBI GROUP in Toronto...also all other major Canadian cities) who was up to Edmonton several times around the first part of the year for a project...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :insane:

Signed

Southern-California Boy (:

Come on up for a visit. Its spring time in Alberta. :banana:

Piper said if I ever showed my face up there he'd take me out back and beat me with my low grade comics. Why the special treatment for Tom? :(

lol

Dude, I can't believe you said that. It would be my pleasure to show any board member a little Northern hospitality, especially you!

Forrest had a great idea in General with the top 5 Batman stories thread. Let's take a crack at our favorite...

Top 5 Spidey stories!

Here are my picks, in chronological order:

1. Amazing Spiderman #10 -- Big Man and the Enforcers. It's difficult to choose between the classics of the first two years, but this is a great early issue driven by the mystery of the Big Man's identity and a definite standout for me. Tightly and beautifully plotted.

2. Amazing Spiderman #17-19 -- A gem of a storyline in which Spidey's personal problems threaten to overwhelm his career, until he finally comes out swinging (and Aunt May gives him a verbal smackdown!). Contains the classic #18, one of my favorite single issues, where Spidey doesn't appear in costume until the last panel. Definitely a storyline that brings out Spidey's uniqueness -- it couldn't have been told with any other superhero character.

3. Amazing Spiderman #30-33 -- Not much to say here. #33 will always be an all-time classic. Ditko at his absolute peak.

4. Amazing Spiderman #121-122 -- Absolutely shocking bronze age storyline -- a "Turning Point" indeed. Still packs a real punch.

5. Kraven's Last Hunt 6-parter -- the definitive "dark Spidey" copper age storyline... a tone rarely brought out in ASM stories. Beautifully written and drawn.

Let's hear your picks, guys! (thumbs u

Well, here's my stab at the Top 5 (also in chronological order)

Top 5 Spidey stories!

1. Amazing Spiderman #30-33 -- Ditko at his peak. Some people say there are only 38 issues of Amazing Spider-Man--and these are the best of 'em.

2. Amazing Spiderman #96-98 -- The famous drug issues that bucked the Comic Code and broke ground by demonstrating comic books as a means of social commentary.

3. Amazing Spiderman #121-122 -- Absolutely mind blowing pair from when a character's death actually meant something. Much like Death in the Family's importance to Batman, the death of Gwen Stacy would forever alter the life of our favorite wall crawler.

4. Kraven's Last Hunt 6-parter -- Probably one of the best Spidey stories going: excellent art combined with a dark, dramatic storyline.

5. Amazing Spiderman #298-300, 315-317 (The Birth of Venom) -- McFarlane Spidey is hard to beat, and combined with origin story of one of Spidey's most significant villains (love 'em or hate 'em). Todd really brought a breath of fresh air into ASM after the 80s with his overly dynamic style of art.

Piper said if I ever showed my face up there he'd take me out back and beat me with my low grade comics. Why the special treatment for Tom? :(

lol

Dude, I can't believe you said that. It would be my pleasure to show any board member a little Northern hospitality, especially you!

I second the motion. Any board member forced to visit our city will be welcomed with open arms. May even show you the world's biggest shopping mall. As a bonus, if you come in the winter and brave our lovely subzero weather we will go skiing to Banff or Jasper. World famous national parks and pretty good ski mountains.

Forrest had a great idea in General with the top 5 Batman stories thread. Let's take a crack at our favorite...

Top 5 Spidey stories!

1. Amazing Spiderman #10 -- Big Man and the Enforcers. It's difficult to choose between the classics of the first two years, but this is a great early issue driven by the mystery of the Big Man's identity and a definite standout for me. Tightly and beautifully plotted.

2. Amazing Spiderman #17-19 -- A gem of a storyline in which Spidey's personal problems threaten to overwhelm his career, until he finally comes out swinging (and Aunt May gives him a verbal smackdown!). Contains the classic #18, one of my favorite single issues, where Spidey doesn't appear in costume until the last panel. Definitely a storyline that brings out Spidey's uniqueness -- it couldn't have been told with any other superhero character.

3. Amazing Spiderman #30-33 -- Not much to say here. #33 will always be an all-time classic. Ditko at his absolute peak.

4. Amazing Spiderman #121-122 -- Absolutely shocking bronze age storyline -- a "Turning Point" indeed. Still packs a real punch.

5. Kraven's Last Hunt 6-parter -- the definitive "dark Spidey" copper age storyline... a tone rarely brought out in ASM stories. Beautifully written and drawn.

Need to think about this one a bit....Kraven's Last Hunt definitely makes my list.

Top 5 Spidey stories! In order of preference.

1. Amazing Spiderman #30-33 -- Great stories and classic cover of #33. Ditko was never better

2. Amazing Spiderman #121-122 -- Killing Gwen for good. No imaginary story, no bringing her back a year later. How many readers were shocked by this story?

3. Amazing Fantasy 15--pretty well written story and without it we would never have read the rest.

4. Amazing Spiderman #298-300--Was there ever a scarier villian than Venom?

5. Amazing Spiderman #248--The Kid Who Collects Spiderman. Touching story of a Spiderfan like us.

So many great Spiderman stories. Wanted to include AS#5, 50-51 but top five is a small list.

Top 5 Spidey stories!

Great picks. I'd have to add ASM #39-40- Romita's 1st and 2nd covers on the book and 2 of his absolute best. I believe he was quoted as saying that #40 was his personal favorite. #39 is mine. Unforgettable image that says it all: Spidey is screwed!! Hauntingly beautiful. AND the story: The Goblin and Spidey's secret identities revealed, the origin of the Goblin, Norman's contempt for Harry and 2 classic battles!! Definitely one of my all time favs!!!