• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,460 posts in this topic

Nice lists so far, guys! The drug/no-CCA trilogy is definitely a strong contender, ditto with ASM #50.

"Amazing Spiderman #248--The Kid Who Collects Spiderman." Thanks for the reminder...I still have to pick this one up.

I love ASM #39 and it's a definite close runner-up. After all the tension and menace of #39, though, I find #40 to be kind of a let-down.

A few more runners-up: ASM #20 (1st Scorpion), ASM #24 (great Mysterio & JJJ story, early fave of mine), and the Spiderman vs Wolverine one-shot from 1988.

very nice copy

Thank you sir!! With regards to #40 being a bit of a let down, I can see your point. I think that if one thinks long term though seeing #121-122 as the fruition of all that tension and menace, then it makes sense. And Norman should have stayed dead!! :sumo: Lousy modern hacks!! doh!

Yeah, I was primarily aiming to cover story arcs in my Top 5 Spideys--if I included individual issues, well, I think we'd have a different makeup. #39 would CERTAINLY be include if for no other reason than the introduction of Jazzy John to ASM, in addition to the classic cover and monumental storyline. ASM #50 would be another to add to the pile for the same reasons. Gosh, list could go on and on...

And Jon, you REALLY do need to give #248 a read. This is considered by many to be one of the most touching Spider-Man stories to date--hankies not included.

Forrest had a great idea in General with the top 5 Batman stories thread. Let's take a crack at our favorite...

Top 5 Spidey stories!

Here are my picks, in chronological order:

1. Amazing Spiderman #10 -- Big Man and the Enforcers. It's difficult to choose between the classics of the first two years, but this is a great early issue driven by the mystery of the Big Man's identity and a definite standout for me. Tightly and beautifully plotted.

2. Amazing Spiderman #17-19 -- A gem of a storyline in which Spidey's personal problems threaten to overwhelm his career, until he finally comes out swinging (and Aunt May gives him a verbal smackdown!). Contains the classic #18, one of my favorite single issues, where Spidey doesn't appear in costume until the last panel. Definitely a storyline that brings out Spidey's uniqueness -- it couldn't have been told with any other superhero character.

3. Amazing Spiderman #30-33 -- Not much to say here. #33 will always be an all-time classic. Ditko at his absolute peak.

4. Amazing Spiderman #121-122 -- Absolutely shocking bronze age storyline -- a "Turning Point" indeed. Still packs a real punch.

5. Kraven's Last Hunt 6-parter -- the definitive "dark Spidey" copper age storyline... a tone rarely brought out in ASM stories. Beautifully written and drawn.

Let's hear your picks, guys! (thumbs u

Good choices Jon! I would drop ASM 10 and replace it with ASM 39 and 40.

1. Kraven's Last Hunt, Who says copper age books suck?

2. ASM 121-122, I can only imagine what it would have been like to buy 121 off the newstands. Why couldn't they have killed someone else? :(

3. ASM 39-40, I can't believe this was the beginning of Romita's run.

4. ASM 30-33, These were the first Ditko back issues I picked up. After I read them, I was hooked.

5. ASM 17-19, I couldn't say it any better Jon.

Honourable mentions go to ASM 50 and the whole Ned Leeds/Rose/Hobgoblin/Gangwar storyline.

I'll think of my list a little later and post...definitely 30-33 would be in my TOP 5 as well...

And let's not forget issue 90...one of the Top 5 single-issue stories of all time...IMHO... :headbang:

I'll think of my list a little later and post...definitely 30-33 would be in my TOP 5 as well...

And let's not forget issue 90...one of the Top 5 single-issue stories of all time...IMHO... :headbang:

Funny you should mention that issue... This just arrived from Classics Inc. about two weeks back. My "birthday book". :cloud9:

Sorry about the scan - I keep getting some spotting off the slab.

ASM90CGC94FC.jpg

Another great story arc is in issues 53-55, where Doc Ock starts living at Aunt May's house and wins her affections, much to the agita of Peter.

And Jon, you REALLY do need to give #248 a read. This is considered by many to be one of the most touching Spider-Man stories to date--hankies not included.

I had this one in my collection for a while but I was waiting to read it until I had finished my run of 200 to 300. I read it last night and I must say I actually shed a tear. This is a touching story to say the least - very good story telling.

I think the best part was the fact that Spidey was illustrated in the "Ditko" style. Why don't more artists imitate his quirky style, I love it...

Forrest had a great idea in General with the top 5 Batman stories thread. Let's take a crack at our favorite...

Top 5 Spidey stories!

Here are my picks, in chronological order:

1. Amazing Spiderman #10 -- Big Man and the Enforcers. It's difficult to choose between the classics of the first two years, but this is a great early issue driven by the mystery of the Big Man's identity and a definite standout for me. Tightly and beautifully plotted.

2. Amazing Spiderman #17-19 -- A gem of a storyline in which Spidey's personal problems threaten to overwhelm his career, until he finally comes out swinging (and Aunt May gives him a verbal smackdown!). Contains the classic #18, one of my favorite single issues, where Spidey doesn't appear in costume until the last panel. Definitely a storyline that brings out Spidey's uniqueness -- it couldn't have been told with any other superhero character.

3. Amazing Spiderman #30-33 -- Not much to say here. #33 will always be an all-time classic. Ditko at his absolute peak.

4. Amazing Spiderman #121-122 -- Absolutely shocking bronze age storyline -- a "Turning Point" indeed. Still packs a real punch.

5. Kraven's Last Hunt 6-parter -- the definitive "dark Spidey" copper age storyline... a tone rarely brought out in ASM stories. Beautifully written and drawn.

Let's hear your picks, guys! (thumbs u

2. ASM 121-122, I can only imagine what it would have been like to buy 121 off the newstands. Why couldn't they have killed someone else? :(

#121-122: as someone who bought these off the newstand, this is the pinnacle. i can vividly recall the moment my friend peeked and blurted out the ending.

Edited by frankiecastle

I had this one in my collection for a while but I was waiting to read it until I had finished my run of 200 to 300. I read it last night and I must say I actually shed a tear. This is a touching story to say the least - very good story telling.

Point Five had asked the question 'Top Five Stories', thats why I included issue 248. Issue 248 had one of the great Spidey stories of all time. It didn't introduce an earth shaking villian or change the direction of Spiderman's life, it just made us tough, uber macho comic collectors shed a tear.

Big cry baby Fedoraman. Just kidding mate.

#121-122: as someone who bought these off the newstand, this is the pinnacle. i can vividly recall the moment my friend peeked and blurted out the ending.

I hope you kicked his arse? He had it coming. I remember when my friend read the Return of the Jedi comic before the movie came out. I threatened to never speak to him again if he told me anything.

And Spidey 10 in the top 5 stories? I really liked the issue when Capt Stacy died.

I hope you kicked his arse? He had it coming. I remember when my friend read the Return of the Jedi comic before the movie came out. I threatened to never speak to him again if he told me anything.

And Spidey 10 in the top 5 stories? I really liked the issue when Capt Stacy died.

It was so sad. He was my favorite supporting character in the Marvel U.

Point Five had asked the question 'Top Five Stories', thats why I included issue 248. Issue 248 had one of the great Spidey stories of all time. It didn't introduce an earth shaking villian or change the direction of Spiderman's life, it just made us tough, uber macho comic collectors shed a tear.

Big cry baby Fedoraman. Just kidding mate.

:cry:

lol

And Spidey 10 in the top 5 stories?...

Yeah, I can see your point. But it's really hard to choose just one book from the early run!

In retrospect, I might nudge ASM #20 into the top five in place of #10. Awesome key book with the 1st Scorpion, and an equally intricate plot -- I love the use of JJJ as the Scorpion's creator (a type of plot done to death in later years, but never better than in #20).

Yeah... there are a handful of single issues well worth some love. On the flipside, there are some books where the storyline is fairly mediocre but the is a true classic (a la Spidey 100). ASM 252 isn't a bad comic, but certainly doesn't match up with the quality of the cover.

One story arc that I think just fell outside of my Top 5 was the Harry/Green Goblin II storyline from ASM 135-137 (is that the right set or did I leave one out?). The cover on 136 is ... well, it's absolutely classic BUT it has a storyline to match. (And I "think" a board member here actually owns that cover :o )

Yeah... there are a handful of single issues well worth some love. On the flipside, there are some books where the storyline is fairly mediocre but the is a true classic (a la Spidey 100). ASM 252 isn't a bad comic, but certainly doesn't match up with the quality of the cover.

One story arc that I think just fell outside of my Top 5 was the Harry/Green Goblin II storyline from ASM 135-137 (is that the right set or did I leave one out?). The cover on 136 is ... well, it's absolutely classic BUT it has a storyline to match. (And I "think" a board member here actually owns that cover :o )

:gossip: cgcworld is the happy owner!! (thumbs u