• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

So..... I went to South Carolina Comic Con a few weeks back. Couldn't find much I wanted after a few hours of directionless searching, managed to pick up some FF 48-50 reprints for $10, just kinda drifted around otherwise. Towards the end of the show, I make it by one booth that had a Voldy ASM 121 9.4. I looked it over, but had a bid in on one on the 'Bay (which I won and posted in the Bronze Spidey thread), so I was lukewarm on this copy as I knew it would just be going over to the CGC booth for a regrade. So the guy I'm talking to asks if I like Spider-Man and I'm like "Yeah, kinda getting back into him after focusing on Bats for awhile." and he pulls out some nice raw books. OO collection that he just picked up, really minty, great preservation, but he only had a few of the books on-hand that he brought for another guy to take a look at. So he lays them out and I'm like goo-goo-eyed over this one issue. I mean, can a 50-year-old comic be sexy? YES! I had to walk away 'cause all of the sudden I was ready to fork over wads of cash on love at first sight. So I walk away, look around some more, stopped by to say hey to a boardie at his booth, and I say to myself, "self, that's too much, just get out, drive back home and get some perspective before you do something crazy." The 2-hour drive home, though, I'm thinking about this book. It was so clean, so flat, so crisp, not a freaking wrinkle anywhere, strong colors, gloss, etc. I was still just awe-struck at how immediately gorgeous it was and I started to doubt if I'd ever see another raw that nice again. It was too late to turn around at that point, but there was still Sunday.... I could drive back Sunday and.... no, get some perspective.... let it go. 

But I couldn't. After a few days, I checked the Vendor list in the program, found the guy on the map (turns out I actually knew him and had a mutual friend who had his contact info), by the end of the week we'd closed the deal and so today in my mailbox......

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Beautiful book!  What's your best guess on the grade?  Are you submitting it, or keeping it raw?

Dealer's guess was a solid 8.5, maybe 9.0 (the other guy was thinking it might have potential with a press). Seems harsh to keep it at an 8.5 as it's much nicer than most 8.5's I've seen/owned, but my Bats 181 9.0 looks like a 9.4 to me, yet they hammered it for some very small flaws, so maybe it is just an 8.5. Either way, I don't plan on smooshing it or slabbing it, I enjoy seeing it in the buff too much.

8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Dealer's guess was a solid 8.5, maybe 9.0 (the other guy was thinking it might have potential with a press). Seems harsh to keep it at an 8.5 as it's much nicer than most 8.5's I've seen/owned, but my Bats 181 9.0 looks like a 9.4 to me, yet they hammered it for some very small flaws, so maybe it is just an 8.5. Either way, I don't plan on smooshing it or slabbing it, I enjoy seeing it in the buff too much.

(thumbsu

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The colors on those two images of #20 look wildly different -- is that a scanner / camera setting, or a lighting issue, or ... ?  And which do you believe gives the truer view of the book's actual color?

Not exactly sure why it looks different.  I think it may be a lighting issue with my scanner as the settings are the same for both images.  My scanner bed may also be too small for these slabs and maybe that's affecting the image hm  I unchecked the Backlight Correction button and tried a new scan...

aaasm #20 frt #2552.jpg

Edited by mosconi