• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

So ... can we talk about Amazing Spider-Man #28?

I've never owned a copy and it's sitting on my want list.  In theory, I'm trying to put together a run that would include 9.4 copies of all issues from #16 up, and when I first set about doing this I glanced at GPA and saw $7,450 as the amount of the last sale.  Sure, that last sale was in 2014, but I figured that couldn't be too far off from where the market is today, given that the Molten Man isn't a top-tier villain in Spidey's rogues gallery.

Over the past year I hadn't seen any 9.4 copies surface online, but then a dealer I trust put one up at the whopping asking price of $22,000.  More recently, another highly respected dealer listed one for $20,000.  I have no idea if this book has ever actually sold anywhere in this ballpark, but these are very knowledgeable guys who wouldn't be pricing the book like this if they didn't believe in their prices.

And yet, the fact remains that $20,000+ for a 9.4 would (I think -- someone correct me if I'm wrong) make #28 the most valuable issue in the entire ASM run, with the obvious exception of #1 and possibly #2.  I don't believe any of the other big keys (#3, 4, 6, 9, 14, 31, 50 ...) come anywhere close to $20,000 for a 9.4.  And while this book is scarce in high grade (15 in 9.4 and 7 in 9.6), other books in the run are even more scarce.

So my first reaction is, I'd better start looking for 9.0 copies of this book because I can't justify paying that kind of money for this issue.  (By which I don't mean to question the validity of the price ... I simply mean that I can think of lots better ways to spend $20,000 on a real key.)

And my second reaction is, we all know that GPA data is incomplete but this seems like a potentially egregious example.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any recent sales of high-grade copies of ASM #28 (9.0+) that would help paint a picture of where the market is on this book and how that may have changed in recent years.

Is issue #28 really the second- or third-most valuable book in the entire ASM run?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I've never owned a copy and it's sitting on my want list.  In theory, I'm trying to put together a run that would include 9.4 copies of all issues from #16 up, and when I first set about doing this I glanced at GPA and saw $7,450 as the amount of the last sale.  Sure, that last sale was in 2014, but I figured that couldn't be too far off from where the market is today, given that the Molten Man isn't a top-tier villain in Spidey's rogues gallery.

Over the past year I hadn't seen any 9.4 copies surface online, but then a dealer I trust put one up at the whopping asking price of $22,000.  More recently, another highly respected dealer listed one for $20,000.  I have no idea if this book has ever actually sold anywhere in this ballpark, but these are very knowledgeable guys who wouldn't be pricing the book like this if they didn't believe in their prices.

And yet, the fact remains that $20,000+ for a 9.4 would (I think -- someone correct me if I'm wrong) make #28 the most valuable issue in the entire ASM run, with the obvious exception of #1 and possibly #2.  I don't believe any of the other big keys (#3, 4, 6, 9, 14, 31, 50 ...) come anywhere close to $20,000 for a 9.4.  And while this book is scarce in high grade (15 in 9.4 and 7 in 9.6), other books in the run are even more scarce.

So my first reaction is, I'd better start looking for 9.0 copies of this book because I can't justify paying that kind of money for this issue.  (By which I don't mean to question the validity of the price ... I simply mean that I can think of lots better ways to spend $20,000 on a real key.)

And my second reaction is, we all know that GPA data is incomplete but this seems like a potentially egregious example.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any recent sales of high-grade copies of ASM #28 (9.0+) that would help paint a picture of where the market is on this book and how that may have changed in recent years.

Is issue #28 really the second- or third-most valuable book in the entire ASM run?

#3 sold highest for 17.5k in '04 & #4 for ~ 29k in 2015 but it was an outlier per GPA 

That price is a joke for a 28. It's wildly off base In my view! If #14 isn't anywhere near that then there's no justification for a 28 being 20k. I'd just sit tight & keep my powder dry. I had given up on searching for that #55 until out of the blue it popped up for auction. I found it while searching for something else. 

Maybe attempting to reach out to these sellers for a price adjustment? Otherwise patience is probably the answer

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I would suggest to wait until one comes up to an auction and go for it in its real market value. Yes, its a tough book in high grades because of the black cover, but is really a black cover worth THAT much money when you can purchase so many other big keys for that? In my opinion no, but then again there may probably be others out there that would think so.

4 hours ago, SECollector said:
8 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I would suggest to wait until one comes up to an auction and go for it in its real market value. Yes, its a tough book in high grades because of the black cover, but is really a black cover worth THAT much money when you can purchase so many other big keys for that? In my opinion no, b

ASM 28 is one of those books whose value is skewed due to the OPG " Rare in High Grade" designation. Overstreet keeps the values proportionate through all grades, but there's only one problem, the book is not at all scarce below 9.4 and shouldn't guide higher across the board.....which in the real world it doesn't. If I were you, I'd follow your gut and go for the 9.0.... possibly one with exceptional eye appeal that was downgraded for some defect you don't really care about. If circumstances change for the better and 20K is no longer such an onerous sum, you can always upgrade.... just be careful not to get an overgraded 9.4 that's really just a 9.2... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

14 hours ago, SECollector said:

I would suggest to wait until one comes up to an auction and go for it in its real market value. Yes, its a tough book in high grades because of the black cover, but is really a black cover worth THAT much money when you can purchase so many other big keys for that? In my opinion no, but then again there may probably be others out there that would think so.

Yeah if you're prepared to spend that kind of money you can find a #129 9.8 for much less. Heck even an IH 181 9.8 for somewhere between 20 - 28k

On 3/25/2018 at 10:03 PM, MGsimba77 said:

#3 sold highest for 17.5k in '04 & #4 for ~ 29k in 2015 but it was an outlier per GPA 

That price is a joke for a 28. It's wildly off base In my view! If #14 isn't anywhere near that then there's no justification for a 28 being 20k. I'd just sit tight & keep my powder dry. I had given up on searching for that #55 until out of the blue it popped up for auction. I found it while searching for something else. 

Maybe attempting to reach out to these sellers for a price adjustment? Otherwise patience is probably the answer

How many 9.4's/9.6's have you seen sell of 28? I would wager that you have seen many more 14's sell in that grade.  And 9.4 14's are rising , last copy sold for $15k."Key" yes...Rare no. #14 is the most overvalued ASM imho. When it hits 20k , 28 will be 25k. High grade early ASM'S are never priced justly, are they? 

Lou if you are looking for current price points I think these are fair

9.0 $2000

9.2 $4500

Prettttty big jump going upward from here. And as JimJum stated , be cautious about an over graded 9.4. I would look out for an under graded 9.2 

ASM like many titles has a few issues that you can throw the guide out on, 28 is one of them. Along with 2,4,11,13,20,31...........I think you get my point :p 

Edited by amazingspiderfan

3 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

How many 9.4's/9.6's have you seen sell of 28? I would wager that you have seen many more 14's sell in that grade.  And 9.4 14's are rising , last copy sold for $15k."Key" yes...Rare no. #14 is the most overvalued ASM imho. When it hits 20k , 28 will be 25k. High grade early ASM'S are never priced justly, are they? 

9.0 $2000

9.2 $4500

Prettttty big jump going upward from here. And as JimJum stated , be cautious about an over graded 9.4. I would look out for an under graded 9.2 

ASM like many titles has a few issues that you can throw the guide out on, 28 is one of them. Along with 2,4,11,13,20,31...........I think you get my point :p 

Thanks very much for that info ... I guess I should be thankful to have a #4 in 9.0 and #31 in 9.4, but somewhat daunted by the fact that I would like to get #2 in 9.0 and #11, 13, and 20 in 9.4.  :whatthe:

The prices you've given for #28 in 9.0 and 9.2 at least seem reasonable (to the extent that the prices of any collectibles are "reasonable!") ... I think it may be a while before I could contemplate a 9.4, again primarily because it's not even in the top 10 books I would spend $20K on if given the chance.

12 hours ago, amazingspiderfan said:

9.0 $2000

9.2 $4500

I believe you are forgetting #3 as well :baiting: