• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

As a completist I collect the annuals but never cared for them. Always felt a chore having to buy and read them generally. The one I remember enjoying is 21,the wedding issue. 

Annual 2 always puzzled me. Dr Strange story and, typically, he's not on the cover. Just stock images of Spidey on a plain background. Feels like they didn't issue it with the cover they wanted for some reason. 

5 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

As a completist I collect the annuals but never cared for them. Always felt a chore having to buy and read them generally. The one I remember enjoying is 21,the wedding issue. 

Annual 2 always puzzled me. Dr Strange story and, typically, he's not on the cover. Just stock images of Spidey on a plain background. Feels like they didn't issue it with the cover they wanted for some reason. 

I get where you're coming from.  There's a lot of filler material in any long-format book, and the stories are generally weaker especially when they are (often) by a substitute creative team.

Also, good observation on the cover of Annual #2, and you may very well be right.  I wonder if someone on these boards knows the story there.

Also, since we're on Spidey #21 and it's a Torch issue .... AND we've been talking about annuals here lately, I present to you my copy of the first vintage annual I ever purchased (not this EXACT copy). I honestly couldn't believe how awesome it was and I read the snot outta that thing!!! The fact that I bought it VERY second hand and was in my mid 20s is irrelevant. It's no less awesome today! ;)  My copy is "slightly" different. So slightly that it didn't even merit a label notation!  (thumbsu

strange tales annual 2.JPG

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

present to you my copy of the first vintage annual I ever purchased

Nice stuff.  Strange Tales Annual #2 is the first ever annual featuring Marvel's Silver Age superheroes!  And one of Marvel's earliest annuals to boot (second only to Strange Tales Annual #1 the year before).  And Stan, Kirby and Ditko all collaborated on this one!   A cool book indeed.  

Edited by Pantodude

10 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Nice stuff.  Strange Annual #2 is the first ever annual featuring Marvel's Silver Age superheroes!  And one of Marvel's earliest annuals to boot (second only to Strange Tales Annual #1 the year before).  And Stan, Kirby and Ditko all collaborated on this one!   A cool book indeed.  

it was on the stands before ff ann. 1?  and millie ann. 1 was out with s.t. ann. 1--the "big" millie annual.

Edited by Straw-Man