• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,075 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, IronMan_Cave said:

So I assume many of you long-time FF collectors already have a complete run of vol.1 ? ...or at least the silver/bronze age or just silver ones?

I used to collect Iron-Man and Avengers, ....just started collecting FF about 6 weeks ago, so I have a long way to go. I don't have many of the prized issues, only a 7.5 #52 and 7.5 #25 and a 9.4 #89, those are my three most prized issues. Other than that, I have 20 or so raws, late silver, grade 7-9. Then I have about 30 raw bronzes

Yes, I have a complete run of FF Volume one. And, in regard to having only a few FF books, remember that we all had to start somewhere.

1 hour ago, IronMan_Cave said:

So I assume many of you long-time FF collectors already have a complete run of vol.1 ? ...or at least the silver/bronze age or just silver ones?

Still need some early issues unfortunately as I began collecting FF a couple years after my main titles and today's prices and pressing habits make completion very difficult :frown:

41 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

but seems like a complete run is out of the question now to newcomers like us with prices for #1 and #5 skyrocketing

Well, if worse comes to worse, you can always replace with #1 and #5 with facsimile editions. Yes, they aren't the same as the real thing, but at least you have two books you can use as placeholders. Besides, you could win the lottery. That is if you ever  buy lottery tickets.

Edited by Math Teacher

9 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Still need some early issues unfortunately as I began collecting FF a couple years after my main titles and today's prices and pressing habits make completion very difficult :frown:

true.....of course we would like to have some nice copies for #1 and #5, not just some beat up 0.5 grade, at least I'd like to have a grade 4-5, and they are now out of my budget

17 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

true.....of course we would like to have some nice copies for #1 and #5, not just some beat up 0.5 grade, at least I'd like to have a grade 4-5, and they are now out of my budget

I have an FF #1 - 2.5, an FF #4 - 2.0 and an FF #5 - 2.5. Would I like to have nicer copies? You bet! However, there are other things that I want to add to my collection before I go about upgrading these books. I'm just happy that I have these issues in my collection.

If you are serious about pursuing this run, then it is important that you go after the biggest books first. I would purchase these keys in this order: #1, #5, #48, #52, #49, #12, and #13. I upgraded from an AF #15 0.5 to an AF #15 2.5. I had to sell some of my books (JiM #85: 4.5 - Ouch!) to make it happen, but I decided that having a nicer AF #15 was worth more to me than a JiM #85 4.5, an FF #13 7.5, a Batman #232 9.4, along with some lesser books. I will probably never be able to replace my JiM #85, unless I am willing to accept a grade from 1.5 - 2.5, but it was worth it to me.

Just now, Math Teacher said:
31 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's the current thinking, yes. 

I, for one, see what you did there. :golfclap: You can never have too many puns.

I like a good pun Math Teacher Singular. The trick is not to over-think them. 

23 hours ago, pickycollector said:

It would look gorgeous raw in a Mylar :preach:

That would also make it easier to flip through. :wink: