• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,080 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2024 at 10:15 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Don’t think I have read or owned a copy of issue #53 before.

You should. You owe it to yourself. 

On 5/23/2024 at 2:17 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Probably should at least get around to reading a reprint. I always felt that the cover was meh so I never had a desire to own a copy. 

I'm not a huge fan of that cover myself and Shocked Robin Sue doesn't help, but the interior art is top shelf. Don't read a reprint, the reproduction quality will blow, just pick up a beater copy.

On 5/24/2024 at 8:32 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

This "crooked" book is a good example of what happens when there's only one picture in the listing, you don't look at it carefully and then you jump in to bid at the last second based on the grade...ha, ha. I need to establish an island of misfit books in my collection for the poor miswrapped ones. I've been surprised over the years to see so many miswrapped comics in 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 holders. I guess it's technically a condition over printing defect/eye appeal issue. 

image.png.23a06a27130f57e57cff79558242bb2b.png

I get it.
I’m super comfortable with low grade comics, but this particular issue really needs a squared up cover. 

On 5/24/2024 at 7:22 AM, Straw-Man said:

the golden age torch was always burning thru things on the schomburg covers, and alex was so very good at that.   there are only a couple silver covers where johnny is burning thru an object; 54 and this one come to mind.

GetImage.aspx?c=3715748&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=NS8yNC8yMDI0IDEwOjIyOjAyIEFN

I’m surprised that there wasn’t more of this, kind of an homage to MC#1.

On 5/24/2024 at 10:58 AM, KirbyJack said:

I get it.
I’m super comfortable with low grade comics, but this particular issue really needs a squared up cover. 

I agree. I should have written: From CGC's perspective, I guess it's technically a condition over printing defect/eye appeal issue. I've tried to be more particular with centering/registration (except when I don't examine a book carefully enough, like this one) once I realized that I'll likely see the same issue down the road at some point if I'm just patient. 

On 5/24/2024 at 6:32 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

This "crooked" book is a good example of what happens when there's only one picture in the listing, you don't look at it carefully and then you jump in to bid at the last second based on the grade...ha, ha. I need to establish an island of misfit books in my collection for the poor miswrapped ones. I've been surprised over the years to see so many miswrapped comics in 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 holders. I guess it's technically a condition over printing defect/eye appeal issue. 

image.png.23a06a27130f57e57cff79558242bb2b.png

There is nothing wrong with that beautiful book.