• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,207 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2024 at 9:32 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

This "crooked" book is a good example of what happens when there's only one picture in the listing, you don't look at it carefully and then you jump in to bid at the last second based on the grade...ha, ha. I need to establish an island of misfit books in my collection for the poor miswrapped ones. I've been surprised over the years to see so many miswrapped comics in 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 holders. I guess it's technically a condition over printing defect/eye appeal issue. 

image.png.23a06a27130f57e57cff79558242bb2b.png

Is it just the scan or is the cover on this book multiple degrees whiter than all the others?

On 5/25/2024 at 10:39 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

It's the scan. The light blue on the CGC label is washed out because of the bright light and it made the cover look whiter. The second picture shows the cover is actually a little more off-white, but even in the more natural light I would say the cover is still pretty white. Overall, I think I just posted a horrible picture the first time (which I didn't take as this book is imaged and stored in my PWCC Vault account). :tonofbricks: I'll have to ask them to take another picture of this one because usually their image quality is great.

This also illustrates how different scans can affect our perception of what we're buying...an interesting case study. 

Thanks for replying and sharing the other picture. I figured it was the scan because the red in the Fantastic Four logo didn't look quite right, either, but thought maybe for some reason the cover to this issue is prone to browning due to a shockingly white cover. I don't think I've ever seen a Silver Age Marvel comic with a pure white cover.

On 5/25/2024 at 4:29 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

Thanks for replying and sharing the other picture. I figured it was the scan because the red in the Fantastic Four logo didn't look quite right, either, but thought maybe for some reason the cover to this issue is prone to browning due to a shockingly white cover. I don't think I've ever seen a Silver Age Marvel comic with a pure white cover.

Scroll back a page or two and check out the Curator FF 24 that Straw-Man posted. I’m prepared to call it pure white. 

On 5/25/2024 at 6:55 PM, KirbyJack said:

Scroll back a page or two and check out the Curator FF 24 that Straw-Man posted. I’m prepared to call it pure white. 

You're not wrong, that #24 is pretty darn white. Not quite as bright as the #54 with the washed out scan but probably the closest to pure white I've seen.