• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,791 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 5:42 AM, Kevin76 said:

Grader Notes 

Large spilt center of spine

Light spine stress lines

That sort of thing is tough. Because honestly it feels more like a Qualified 8.0 than a Blue 3.5.

Yeah if I was selling it raw in person, I’d probably have it priced like a 5.5-6.0. Clearly explain both the flaws and the eye appeal. And I doubt it would take more than three or four interested customers before someone went home with it. 

Fifty years ago the prices informed the grades. Books with these five different combinations of flaws all sell in the same price range therefore they are all the same grade. 

That process breaks down here. Because the person who buys that book likely chooses it over any similar priced 5.0 that was available. (Some folks would reject it outright because they hate that particular flaw.)

On 2/13/2022 at 11:17 PM, fantastic_four said:

I'm always puzzled about how to grade books that look like a 9.x but have a spine split.  Do you deduct based upon the length of the split or what?  How much for one inch, two, three, five, seven?

the larger the defect, the lower the grade