• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

13,957 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2022 at 1:17 PM, KirbyJack said:

A classic! 

My copy is my first CGC submission. I picked out my very best FF. 
62CD7167-D833-483D-B229-58E5EE55FC39.thumb.jpeg.c7f3dfb6c77d2faa4f2d7bcaaf344be0.jpeg

Love the placement on the date stamp there. I personally like having receiver dates on books. But it’s still nice when the dealer found a good spot for it.

Edited by lighthouse

On 3/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It seems odd to me that the cover design would be created in such a way that, even if it were printed exactly centered and straight, it would still run off the edge of the paper.

It seemed odd to them, too, because they fixed it within a year or two of the 1961/1962 issues where all of the cover graphics were too crowded.  They just decreased the size of everything a bit including the price box, the Comics Code box, the comic title, tag lines like "THE WORLD'S GREATEST COMIC MAGAZINE!" etc.  Seemed like Stan or one of the artists wanted to jazz up the covers when they did the Marvel switch, and then they realized it was too crowded so they just kept refining the design template used for all of the titles.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 4/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, MGsimba77 said:

I don't know how many people can claim to have flipped through a million dollar comic? That is quite mind blowing and congratulations on that!

Meanwhile my humble contribution 

20220404_121813.jpg

Always loved that cover. Sure it’s a tiny bit cheesy. But I picture myself at age 10 seeing that on the rack (I’m far too young but I picture it anyway), could I pass on that book? Nope. Nope. No way. That one is going home.

On 4/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, lighthouse said:

Always loved that cover. Sure it’s a tiny bit cheesy. But I picture myself at age 10 seeing that on the rack (I’m far too young but I picture it anyway), could I pass on that book? Nope. Nope. No way. That one is going home.

The splash page on that is my favorite splash ever with Sandman reaching over and that giant hand. Curious when you got ahold of your FF1 9.2? Love to read a little more about that...probably never thought it would be worth such an astronomical sum of money when you opened it?

On 4/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, MGsimba77 said:

The splash page on that is my favorite splash ever with Sandman reaching over and that giant hand. Curious when you got ahold of your FF1 9.2? Love to read a little more about that...probably never thought it would be worth such an astronomical sum of money when you opened it?

There’s more of the story in this thread (a ways down).

And while nothing else in the collection is going to top the 9.2 FF 1, there is a lot more to come. :)

Edited by lighthouse