• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first ASM Cover and my absolute grail !!!

36 posts in this topic

After a month of serious negotiations, I was finally able to acquire my absolute grail today. A Romita Goblin cover, and my favourite ASM cover ever! I am totally in love with this piece and am so happy I managed to acquire it. I love it for what it is, and is the best rendition of Gobby vs Spidey ever!!! Yes it is vellum and partially recreated, and that is frowned upon by some collectors, but I managed to pick it up for what I think is a steal and my wife is so happy for me as I've been walking on air since this afternoon when I picked it up. It represents everything that I love about the Green Goblin/Spider-Man and comic books in general. I'm going to have to sell my run of Green Goblin graded books that I've been working so hard to put together to finance it but in the end I think it is totally worth it. I'm just beaming smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Thanks for sharing in my little piece of heaven.

meand136.jpg

Jim

Jim,

893applaud-thumb.gifThat's absolutely great! ! CONGTRATULATIONS ! ! ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The books can be replaced at a later date if that is what you choose to do, and it may be hard to let them go. But if you passed on this cover and were unable to get it later you'd never forget it. Good luck selling you books and may you get top dollar so you don't have to sell as many grin.gif

Mike

I believe this rebuilt cover was originally consigned to J Parrino the Mint catalog by the Donellys. I am glad u are happy with the art. Some art collectors questioned who recreated the entire background as it was not detailed in the solication.

This does NOT disparage your choice of cover art, just curiousity. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From my understanding John Romita did this cover in two pieces. He drew the Goblin vs Spidey half on two up size vellum. He then did the Harry vs Peter and the backgrounds on standard size art board. So if you ever combined both halves of the cover, they wouldn't fit together or be proportionate to each other. I was told (which may be wrong) that when Heritage sold this piece in 2004 they commisioned an artist to recreate the backgrounds, Harry vs Peter, as well as the titles to make it more esthetically pleasing. The Goblin vs Spidey half/image (which is what I have) is about 14 inches tall. Almost the size of a regular cover. It allowed me to buy a Spidey vs Gobby cover that I didn't have to pay six figures for, so I am definitely one happy camper smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

All I collect is original art that features the Goblin, and when there is only 5 Romita ASM covers in existence, you take what you can get smile.gif

For anyone scratching their heads...they are ASM # 39, 40, 97, 122 and 136

Jim

Sold in Feb. '04 for 11,212 on Heritage - just the Spidey v. Goblin is Romita - the rest was recreated by "an artist" -- regardless, that is an AWESOME cover to have...wonder who has the other piece of the two pieces, of which, you currently own one. It would be "amazing" to bring those two back together!

Jimbo, I didn't check in the middle of the night, it took me til about 4 in the morning to fall asleep though. I did run and check when I got home from work though smile.gif

Dem...that was the closing price...what would the juice have been on that?

I do know where the other "half" of the cover is and once I get this paid off, I will look into the other half. I do know already that it is available but for a lot more than I paid for this part of the cover, that will probably be a stumbling block smile.gif

I'd love to think Andru did the recreation part but he died in 1991 and I don't think this piece dates that far back.

Jim

After a month of serious negotiations, I was finally able to acquire my absolute grail today. A Romita Goblin cover, and my favourite ASM cover ever! I am totally in love with this piece and am so happy I managed to acquire it. I love it for what it is, and is the best rendition of Gobby vs Spidey ever!!! Yes it is vellum and partially recreated, and that is frowned upon by some collectors, but I managed to pick it up for what I think is a steal and my wife is so happy for me as I've been walking on air since this afternoon when I picked it up. It represents everything that I love about the Green Goblin/Spider-Man and comic books in general. I'm going to have to sell my run of Green Goblin graded books that I've been working so hard to put together to finance it but in the end I think it is totally worth it. I'm just beaming smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Thanks for sharing in my little piece of heaven.

meand136.jpg

Jim

Jim,

That is just flat out cool! I am really happy you got a grail page! It is just plain great to see people get something that is so dear to their hearts!

Greg