• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do u tell the difference between 1st & 2nd Printing on older Comics?

7 posts in this topic

I've always read comics for years but I'm partially new to comic book collecting. Searching the internet it always confuses me of why a comic sells 100 one day and 20 the next. I seen it was differences between 1st and 2nd Printings. Is there anyway to find the difference between printings by looking at the cover? I just won a Ninja Turtles #2 comic, could somebody tell me if this is 1st or 2nd printing?

Heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

Edited by D@vid

There are often several ways. . .

Cover price... higher cover price can indicate later printings. Many underground comix or early alternative comics can be identified by cover price alone.

Printing stated in the indicia (E.g. "First printing Oct. 1944" or "Second printing" or "Printing No. 54321"=1st, "5432"=2nd, "543"=3rd, etc.). The indicia is usually in the inside front cover or early in the comic where the printing/publishing information is given... sometimes called the "frontispiece."

More subtle differences in printing techniques such as differences in cover stock, or cover colors, interior ads, or more recently... cover art.

Is there anyway to find the difference between printings by looking at the cover?

For the VAAAAAASSSSSTTTTTT majority of books it doesn't matter as there was only ever one printing. For the books that have had second printings there are no hard and fast rules and, on occasion, the differences between printings are esoteric.

I've always read comics for years but I'm partially new to comic book collecting. Searching the internet it always confuses me of why a comic sells 100 one day and 20 the next. I seen it was differences between 1st and 2nd Printings. Is there anyway to find the difference between printings by looking at the cover? I just won a Ninja Turtles #2 comic, could somebody tell me if this is 1st or 2nd printing?

Heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

On the inside of the front cover at the bottom left hand of the page it will tell you if it is a second print or not!! It is located in a bubble with TMNT beside it!!! If not seen, then it is first print!!