• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fables?

39 posts in this topic

So based on the word of mouth I've heard on this book, and on the strength of the first issue I read in one of the Vertigo Primers, I picked up the first Fables trade and I have to say I was underwhelmed.

Maybe I set my expectations so high, but I've seen alot of very tough comparisons that lead me to believe the book was REALLY good. I thought the concepts were interesting and the story was passable, but I wouldn't call it great and I don't understand were all the hype is coming from. Does it pick up more after the first 5 issues or am I just not getting it?

It's definitely a solid book. Other people are higher on it than me, but it's got several things going for it. Translating fairy tale characters into the real world is not an original idea, but the ideas in it are well-executed. There aren't many fine strokes of character, the book is event-driven, but there is a lot of introspection and time taken to get to know the major players. The politics of all these different characters, meshing various "cultures" of these characters together pretty seamlessly, is handled nicely. Willingham's interpretation of these characters and how they play out in "what-if" stories of the "real world" is always surprising, and he keeps things moving both in the foreground from issue to issue, but also in the background with the overarching story moving towards some kind of conclusion (why they are in the "real world" in the first place). You can count on some creativity each month, and there's usually at least one "Oh, yeah, I forgot about that fable/fairy tale/story" character every few months which gets things moving again. Plus, this may not matter to you if you're reading just the trades, but it comes out on time, which is very nice for a change.

I'll probably buy at least one more trade of it. Does the exile and the Adversary play a bigger role as it goes on, or that all just background?

Try picking up the "Last Castle" one-shot which covers the Exile. You find out who the adversary is around issue # 40.

I started reading from issue #6 and up. I'm glad that I did. When I finally read the first 5 issues, I was unimpressed myself. Not bad, just not great. I feel like the arc, starting in #6, really set the tone for the book. The series dips a little after the Adversary revelation. But overall, it is one of my favorites. Really fun.

What I have noticed is that, even for those of us who like series, we all tend to like didn't arcs more so than others. For instance, I liked the 2 parter about the wooden characters wanting to become Flesh. But a lot of LCS'ers here didn't. Just a matter of tastes and I think Willingham provides a good variety. Sometimes I'm just never sure where the book is going and I like that.

Pat

What I have noticed is that, even for those of us who like series, we all tend to like didn't arcs more so than others. For instance, I liked the 2 parter about the wooden characters wanting to become Flesh. But a lot of LCS'ers here didn't. Just a matter of tastes and I think Willingham provides a good variety. Sometimes I'm just never sure where the book is going and I like that.

Pat

Sure. I have read Fables from the beginning and while I enjoy reading over the first trade, I abhor the second trade which people here seem to like. For me the fun of the series gets started after that second trade.

No I didn't much care for the first trade, but I thought things got good starting with the second. The murder mystery just didn't do much for me. Right now I think it is one of the top 3 current comics.

I though the first one was pretty good (I had very few expectations going into it). The second trade was alright. I felt things picked up very well from there and I am now hooked.

No I didn't much care for the first trade, but I thought things got good starting with the second. The murder mystery just didn't do much for me. Right now I think it is one of the top 3 current comics.

See what I'm saying! frustrated.gif All in all after these fits and starts to find the soft spot, the book has been nicely consistent since. FWIW, I have enjoyed Mowgli's search for Bigby.

So based on the word of mouth I've heard on this book, and on the strength of the first issue I read in one of the Vertigo Primers, I picked up the first Fables trade and I have to say I was underwhelmed.

Maybe I set my expectations so high, but I've seen alot of very tough comparisons that lead me to believe the book was REALLY good. I thought the concepts were interesting and the story was passable, but I wouldn't call it great and I don't understand were all the hype is coming from. Does it pick up more after the first 5 issues or am I just not getting it?

I started picking up the book at Issue #6 (based on word-of-mouth). I grabbed the first trade when I bought #6 so I could start the series from the beginning. I understand where you're coming from. The first trade wasn't anything spectacular. But trust me, the series really picks up quickly.

IIRC the second arc is "Animal Farm", and I loved it. It's been one of my favorite series since then.

So what if the idea has been done before (as in LOEG), the execution is what really counts. Check out the second trade. If you don't like it by then, you probably won't like it at all. But, what? You'll be out $15 (and you can probably sell the trades here for 50% cover and recoup some of your losses).

It's worth it. Some really fun, interesting stuff going on in the book. Prince Charming is the man!!! Bigby (Big Bad Wolf) is a great character too. And you have to see Goldielocks! (Ask Steve B).

Since this is a pretty generically titled thread, let's play- favorite Fables arc...

Mine? March of the Wooden Soldiers.

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif Call me Tonto. My favorite arc as well.

After that, I'd say "Arabian Knights" was my next favorite, then "Animal Farm".

Really dug Issue #50 too; not a part of an arc, but a nice wrap-up of a few different ones. One of the best single issue books of the past few years (any series).

Pat

I'll have to second the vote for the story about the couple that wanted to become flesh. Made me all weepy inside gossip.gif . For some reason I like to shorter 'fill in' issues (same way with the Lucifer series). Possible cause could be my short attention span confused-smiley-013.gif

When FABLES wraps up (and I do hope they cancel it when Willingham is done and not try to milk it), it will go on the list of series I will continue to reccomend. Not every issue is 5star, but as a series it is a definite hit.

Mike

one of the best modern comics...go get these!!!

regards