• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

I posted this in the Registry forum, but thought I'd add it here, in case anyone has some insights:

----------

I just added the Avengers 1-503 CGC Registry set. It contains the exact same books as my Avengers 1-250 set, but my total score is different. (I don't have any books higher than issue #215, so there are no books in the 1-503 set that aren't in 1-250.)

My total score for the 1-250 set is 13,444, but for the 1-503 set it's 13,631.

I did a comparison, and for some reason, some books have different scores in each set.

Example:

Avengers #48 in 9.4 universal grade:

Avengers 1-250 set: 125 points

Avengers 1-503 set: 210 points

Others with the same problem: all of the Avengers Annuals and the Giant-Size Avengers.

TITLE Set 1-250 Set 1-503

Annual 2 78 50

Annual 6 70 75

Annual 10 220 250

GS 1 175 280

GS 2 85 75

In a couple cases, the score is LOWER in the 1-503 set, but for the most part the 1-503 set has higher scores.

Very odd.

Nice books Drew. I always loved the Avengers 87 cover and story. You must have quite a nice collection of Avengers by now.

Getting there. Still missing 25 books (I think) in my 1-100 set, and I would like to upgrade another 5 or 6.

It's a decent collection, but it pales next to sets like cheetah's. He's got two Avengers sets in the top 20: the #6 set AND the #17 set (with completely different copies in each set). :o

Thanks, Drew. I do have a passion for the Avengers and hope to be the first to get a 1-250 set 100% complete. I think I'll have everything between 130 and 250 secured before Christmas. But issues between 1 and 30 seem to be non-existent in high grade anymore. I shudder to think what #1 and #4 in 9.4 would go for nowadays.

Do you think that it's at least partially due to people hording books in anticipation of the movie?

I've wondered if there are more collectors and fewer speculators with Avengers books than there are with titles like FF or X-men. I think there are fewer HG copies for the early issues than there are for other main line titles.

Either that or I am just impatient.

I've wondered if there are more collectors and fewer speculators with Avengers books than there are with titles like FF or X-men. I think there are fewer HG copies for the early issues than there are for other main line titles.

hm I tend to agree.

I wonder how many HG copies of early Avengers actually exist as compared to X-Men. I would guess that there's got to be more since X-Men wasn't a particularly popular title during it's original run.

hm I tend to agree.

I wonder how many HG copies of early Avengers actually exist as compared to X-Men. I would guess that there's got to be more since X-Men wasn't a particularly popular title during it's original run.

A quick look at the census for the first four issues of Avengers, X-Men, FF and Daredevil:

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

For the first four issues, at least, the number of Avengers and X-men copies in very high grade are quite similar (except for the abundance of 9.0 and 9.2 copies of Avengers #4).

There are FAR fewer high grade copies of the first four issue of FF - which is to be expected, since it was the first book out of the gate = lower sales = fewer high grade copies in 2008.

But I'm surprised that the numbers for DD aren't really much different than Avengers and X-Men, considering it launched a good six months after X-Men and Avengers. There are quite a few more DD #1 in 9.0-9.4 grade, but the numbers don't hold up for issues 2-4.

Edited by drewincanada

Good research Andrew, interesting info. (thumbs u I never get around to looking through stuff in depth very often.

Interesting to see that the paterns between Avengers, X Men & DD are very similar.

Now how about updating your post with the GPA average prices of each one. :baiting:

:jokealert:

Now how about updating your post with the GPA average prices of each one. :baiting:

Maybe I can become a GPA reseller. If I pay $9.95/month for my subscription, and I resell a minimum of 10 "lookups" for $1 each...

hm

hm I tend to agree.

A quick look at the census for the first four issues of Avengers, X-Men, FF and Daredevil:

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

For the first four issues, at least, the number of Avengers and X-men copies in very high grade are quite similar (except for the abundance of 9.0 and 9.2 copies of Avengers #4).

There are FAR fewer high grade copies of the first four issue of FF - which is to be expected, since it was the first book out of the gate = lower sales = fewer high grade copies in 2008.

But I'm surprised that the numbers for DD aren't really much different than Avengers and X-Men, considering it launched a good six months after X-Men and Avengers. There are quite a few more DD #1 in 9.0-9.4 grade, but the numbers don't hold up for issues 2-4.

hm Very interesting.

I didn't realize that FF #3 was that scarce, but it makes sense since it's the first issue with costumes. This seems like a classic example of hording.

The numbers for Avengers #2, #4, and X-Men #1 (29 HG, w/ 2 9.8's vs. 23 for Avengers #1) lead me to believe that there are probably many more HG copies of Avengers #1 around.

GPA's for Avengers #1 have been historically low as compared to other Marvel #1's and first issues (TOS #39, JIM #83). That's been changing the past 2-3 years, so maybe the higher GPA's will flush out some additional HG copies.

Great research, Andrew. I'm going to have to look at the numbers beyond the first 4 and see if the trend continues.

Good research Andrew, interesting info. (thumbs u I never get around to looking through stuff in depth very often.

Interesting to see that the paterns between Avengers, X Men & DD are very similar.

Good request on some good data. I'd never looked at the other titles so was just going n my own perceptions. I'd love to some some HG copies get flushed out as the best ones seem to be all locked up.

Nice work, Drew.

Such a classic issue! I love the combo of the purple, red and yellow - plus the blue in Cap's suit.

I never understood the logic behind it, though. What's with the posters of the various Avengers and villains stuck on the brick wall? It makes no sense, and it always struck me as a fairly convenient (e.g. lazy) way of composing a shot with numerous characters. Kirby had done plenty of "group" covers prior to this, so I think he was either rushed for time, or he was trying a less literal, more graphic/pop art design style.

Such a classic issue! I love the combo of the purple, red and yellow - plus the blue in Cap's suit.

I never understood the logic behind it, though. What's with the posters of the various Avengers and villains stuck on the brick wall? It makes no sense, and it always struck me as a fairly convenient (e.g. lazy) way of composing a shot with numerous characters. Kirby had done plenty of "group" covers prior to this, so I think he was either rushed for time, or he was trying a less literal, more graphic/pop art design style.

Rushed for time would be my guess. The cover essentially consists of one figure, a large but not too detailed background, and a bunch of paste ups. Still a classic, though.

Just came in yesterday from The Resurrection! Now, I can finally replace the copy I sold to Karma23 this past winter!

CGC009.jpg

CGC010.jpg

I also added a copy of Avengers #1 to my collection right before I left for vacation...

gfarres6.jpg

scan0001.jpg

While I might not be a huge Avengers fan, these were two keys that I really wanted to get into the collection! :headbang:

It was one way of fitting all those characters that he wanted to put on the cover in for the landmark issue, with out making the cover seem too busy and overcrowded.

Just came in yesterday from The Resurrection! Now, I can finally replace the copy I sold to Karma23 this past winter!

CGC009.jpg

CGC010.jpg

I also added a copy of Avengers #1 to my collection right before I left for vacation...

gfarres6.jpg

scan0001.jpg

While I might not be a huge Avengers fan, these were two keys that I really wanted to get into the collection! :headbang:

Hey Hey Hey Forrest! Glad you were finally able to replace that #4, AND add a #1 :applause:

We'll make you a full on Avengers fan before ya know it. ^^

Thanks Larry! Only Avengers left on my list is a copy of 57... and that won't be for some time as there is a veritable boatload of books ahead of it on the list. Still, very happy to get copies of these before the movies came out--if they turn out half as good as Iron Man then prices will keep creeping up.