• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

Can't recall if I've ever posted this one here, but it's the jewel in my Avengers collection -- and since we seem to be on a jewel-posting trend lately, I thought I'd join in on the fun:

avengers47.jpg

That's a beautiful book, love the yellow cover.

:cloud9:

Can't recall if I've ever posted this one here, but it's the jewel in my Avengers collection -- and since we seem to be on a jewel-posting trend lately, I thought I'd join in on the fun:

avengers47.jpg

I never thought I'd say THIS....but why is that book ONLY a 9.8. :o .GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I never thought I'd say THIS....but why is that book ONLY a 9.8. :o .GOD BLESS...

There's the tiniest of flaws in the bottom left corner. It's barely discernable in the scan, and I think it's a bindery flaw - not subsequent damage. It's also sightly mis-folded. But I'm not complaining.

I picked it up last summer on Ebay. I put in a snipe bid on it. My snipe was about half what another 9.8 copy had sold for on Ebay a few weeks earlier, so I thought I had no chance of winning it... but I did. I felt a little sick at the time, because it was by far and away the most I'd ever spent on a comic. In retrospect, though, I realize it was a total bargain and I couldn't be happier.

Another 9.8 sold on CLink recently for 220% of what I paid. Don't get me wrong: it's not all about the money, and I have no intention of selling the book. But it makes it even sweeter to get a great book AND to get it at a great price.

avengers47.jpg

:o(worship):cloud9:

Wow, that's an absolute killer! It looks like it's fresh off a spinner rack!

:o(worship):cloud9:

Wow, that's an absolute killer! It looks like it's fresh off a spinner rack!

Fresh off the rack? Probably only 1 in a 100 looked this good brand new on the rack. A beaut.

:cloud9::cloud9: Always LOVE that cover....who could argue with a Kirby sci-fi city on a purple background.? It would definitely make my top 10 list of Avengers covers....maybe top 5.GOD BLESS...

I miss the dynamic of having a giant on the cover. Giant Man/Goliath towering over the other Avengers always gave a dramatic edge.

This just in... :cloud9:

Avengers1796PC.jpg

Yikes! That is absolutely fantastic!

I looked it up in the Heritage archive, but that sale was a few years back. Who was the owner in the interim, and who did you buy it from? I'm always amazed when books of this caliber and scarcity come up for sale, and I always wonder what prompted the seller to let it go.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Don't know if the previous owner wants to be known or not...suffice it to say, I had heard that he had it and inquired as the the availability (I didn't think it would be available)...to my surprise it was and we worked out a price!! I am very happy to have it though :cloud9: