• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why dont some people use paypal?

56 posts in this topic

I have finally setup a checking account just for comics so no chance of them "freezing" the funds I live on. I feel much better now.

My last round of Ebay auctions were Paypal only. I'll still accept Money Orders if asked, but I really don't want the bother. Pay me instantly with Paypal...and I can get your books out the next day. thumbsup2.gif

You just described me perfectly here. That's exactly what I do and how I feel.

Ditto.

In addition to favoring PayPal when I sell, I search eBay for PayPal listings only. I, too, set up a checking account just for PayPal, have direct deposit for a portion of my paycheck and only pay on eBay iwth PayPal bank transfers.

I just wish sellers felt the same way as I do about sending the next day, particularly with the bank transfer which doesn't have extraneous fees like credit card PayPal payments do.

Think about this:

You are a seller on ebay. You know ebay is getting a chunk for your auctions. If you used PayPal ebay gets again(I believe ebay owns PayPal), perhaps double dipping doesn't sit right, philosophically. So, Check and MO's.

Do I use PayPal? Yep. That's because I believe it helps me get more bids. But if your feel PayPal is an "Evil" corporation, then I can see where someone wouldn't use them. At all. Whatsoever. With sugar on top!!! grin.gif

If you feel paypal is an evil corporation,why would you be selling on a site that owns the evil corporation?

I've noticed alot of eBay auction end with this "Paypal Only" Are they so pariniod or impaitent to wait for a personal check? Cracks me up that people make you wait 2 weeks for a $10 check to clear,If somoene doesn't have $10 in thier checking account,that's quite embarassing.

I've noticed alot of eBay auction end with this "Paypal Only" Are they so pariniod or impaitent to wait for a personal check? Cracks me up that people make you wait 2 weeks for a $10 check to clear,If somoene doesn't have $10 in thier checking account,that's quite embarassing.

I'm switching to "PayPal Only" soon. And yes, it's because with the available technology today, I shouldn't have to wait several days to receive payment. 80% of the eBay community is paying within minutes of the auction closing, I shouldn't have to wait 3 days on the mail to arrive, like we're paying back in 1976. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check. Everyday purchases are paid with debit card, bills are paid online, eBay is paid with PayPal. Checks are archaic. My friends and I often laugh and reminisce about the old days when you had to send checks or money orders when you bought stuff on eBay, which just added days to when your item arrived. I like that I can buy something on eBay on Sunday, and have it by Tuesday or Wednesday. I bought a bunch of stuff on eBay a few weeks ago, and the one thing that hasn't arrived was the one that didn't take PayPal. I forgot to check. It took me a week to remember to go get a money order (didn't want to wait 10-14 days for a check to clear, plus I'd have to find my checkbook). So now I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Never again!

I'm switching to "PayPal Only" soon. And yes, it's because with the available technology today, I shouldn't have to wait several days to receive payment. 80% of the eBay community is paying within minutes of the auction closing, I shouldn't have to wait 3 days on the mail to arrive, like we're paying back in 1976. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check. Everyday purchases are paid with debit card, bills are paid online, eBay is paid with PayPal. Checks are archaic. My friends and I often laugh and reminisce about the old days when you had to send checks or money orders when you bought stuff on eBay, which just added days to when your item arrived. I like that I can buy something on eBay on Sunday, and have it by Tuesday or Wednesday. I bought a bunch of stuff on eBay a few weeks ago, and the one thing that hasn't arrived was the one that didn't take PayPal. I forgot to check. It took me a week to remember to go get a money order (didn't want to wait 10-14 days for a check to clear, plus I'd have to find my checkbook). So now I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Never again!

Your losing sales...seriously. I've steered away from eBay cause of this growing trend as well as others.Some people who are willing to buy what you have to sell can't,because paypal has screwed them over,then it's quite possible your item goes unsold.It doesn't take 10-14 days for a check to clear anymore,this isn't 1976.People in this world need to have more patients,I've written out checks for a few K and don't mind the wait.People I deal with know I'm good for it,and I never bounce anything,and I always know where my wallet & checkbook is.I just don't think it's fair for ebayers to say "Paypal Only" Not only are they NOT getting 100% of the final bid,they are losing sales.I see "Paypal Only" Auctions as a "I want my money right now" But you still have to wait for the $$ to be deposited into your checking account.

I use PayPal as my "preferred" method of payment. The money does get to you more quickly and typically the customer is happier because he/she can get the goods more quickly as well. The only caveat I've discovered over the years is accepting e-check payments. I've had several deals go bad when a buyer paid via paypal using an e-check payment then the payment would not clear 1 week to 2 weeks later. I don't think the e-check option is all that viable because it is in opposition to part of the purpose of paypal (quick receipt of payment) and it ties up inventory as bad, if not worse, than a mailed payment. I've elected to no longer accept e-check payments through paypal for those reasons, and dealings have gone along more smoothly as a result.

I shouldn't have to wait several days to receive payment. 80% of the eBay community is paying within minutes of the auction closing, I shouldn't have to wait 3 days on the mail to arrive, like we're paying back in 1976.
I use checks and money orders all the time. I would spend more than I currently do, which is too much already. tongue.gif

I use PayPal as my "preferred" method of payment. The money does get to you more quickly and typically the customer is happier because he/she can get the goods more quickly as well. The only caveat I've discovered over the years is accepting e-check payments. I've had several deals go bad when a buyer paid via paypal using an e-check payment then the payment would not clear 1 week to 2 weeks later. I don't think the e-check option is all that viable because it is in opposition to part of the purpose of paypal (quick receipt of payment) and it ties up inventory as bad, if not worse, than a mailed payment. I've elected to no longer accept e-check payments through paypal for those reasons, and dealings have gone along more smoothly as a result.
I have had one person pay with the echeck feature and the only reason that I accepted it was because it was from a board member. There is no way that I would let it go on an ebay auction.

I've decided to start accepting PayPal only. For one, it makes sure your buyer has a PayPal account. It will eliminate many newbs and kids, and ensures the buyer's identity (well, most of the time it should reduce the number of buyers with false identities). And, I don't have to wait on money orders (which can now be fraud). I don't think there's any increased risk with PayPal. I've used it since 1999, and have never had a chargeback or any problems. You hear about people having problems with their credit cards, checkbooks, and bank account info getting stolen, and you don't quit using those.

Ditto,

I still accept anything but push for paypal payment, sometimes even offer a bonus if they pay with paypal. But I have been with them since they launched and have not had any problems. thumbsup2.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Your losing sales...seriously. I've steered away from eBay cause of this growing trend as well as others.

I don't think so. I've accepted checks and MOs with PayPal for years. I've noticed that 90% of my payments are PayPal users. I'm just ready to streamline my business, reduce my cycle times, and mitigate some risk, by accepting PayPal only. I don't think it hurts sales as much as those who won't accept PayPal. Besides, I don't want to cater to people who have decided not to use PayPal. They bug me. poke2.gif

It's not really double dipping. The fees ebay charges for auctions is one thing. The fee PayPal charges is basically the equivalent of a credit card transaction fee. So you're paying fees for different "services".

In theory this would be the case.

However as my credit card on file with eBay has expired for some time, and I'd sooner walk on a bed of nails before fessing-up any new credit card info to eBay (several occassions where they double-billed my card, and it took forever to get the charges reversed), it turns out that now whenever my eBay fees are due, I have the option of paying my eBay fees directly through PayPal.

Any payments made through PayPal are funded entirely by my PayPal balance, with no ties to bank accounts or credit cards. I should say, the credit card I've filed on PayPal (called a check card through TD Waterhouse) is a great product, which limits any chargebacks against me to my account balance. In other words, if I only keep $5 in that cards account, then $5 would be the limit that eBay or PayPal can charge me.

I've had to put in place this watertight mechanism specifically because I've been a victim of PayPal's chargeback schemes, as well as having eBay double-charge me on several occassions for fees, which I should also note I might otherwise have never noticed had it not been for my wife.