• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make an offer on my JLA #1 CGC 3.5!

109 posts in this topic

A book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That is why GPA is what I use. The overstreet numbers are just estimates while GPA is based on actual recorded sales.

In a few years Overstreet and everyone else for the most part will have to succumb to these compiled numbers. Remember GPA doesn't simply use Ebay they use Heritage as well as whomever submits sales to them.

I think by using those 2 sources you are getting the high end (overpriced fake sales poke2.gif) from Heritage as well as the realistic prices from Ebay, you get a true gauge of what the price should be on a book.

I was selling a mid grade early Fantastic Four. I was offered the highest recorded GPA sale at that time. I said no and sold the book for $200 more on Ebay.

I agree with the fact that GPA only represents a section of the market.

Do I think that 75-80% of OS is a "fair" price for a lower grade key? Not really. Do I think that 50% of OS is a "fair" price just because GPA says so? Not really, either. Ultimately, you have to decide on your own how much to put into a book.

Do I think GPA should be used in coming up with an acceptable offer? Of course, the more information the better. Do I think people should ONLY use GPA? No, although a lot of people on here do ESPECIALLY when it's lower than OS.

I am sure that most people use which ever source favors their agenda.

When selling: Go by the source with the highest price.

When buying: Use the source with the lowest prices.

I think GPA is the most accurate source for the going rate of comics that trade hands frequently, but it is still a minority of collectors using GPA. Their is a much larger community of collectors, dealers and even investors that only use the Overstreet. It may be differnt in the North East or at San Diego Con, but every show I set up at or attend in the South East has more raw comics on display and trading hands. A lot of those are low to mid grade keys priced and negotiated for based on overstreet values.

This is probably the wrong place to try selling a book with a low GPA -vs- Overstreet value, but I don't see anything wrong with using it as a reference to boost your sale price.

Besides, I think I read some other threads that talked about how important it was for Overstreet to have the definitions in the glossary correct because it was such a widely used and coveted publication in the comic hobby. Does this thread mean that 95% or more of the book which contains prices is usless, but the rest is the gospel.

Everyone knows the only accurate thing written in the Overstreet is that all of the dealers pay millions for your collection and some pay more.

what did i leave a g off of? I was just asking anfield to clarify his statement. Who knows
Anthony, buddy, read my post again. I said that Anfield left the g off.

greggy 893whatthe.gif

where 893whatthe.gif

what did i leave a g off of? I was just asking anfield to clarify his statement. Who knows
Anthony, buddy, read my post again. I said that Anfield left the g off.

greggy 893whatthe.gif

where 893whatthe.gif

Like I said in my earlier post, pirate and Divad's posts are missing. I have copies of them through my email notification, but they are not shown in the thread anymore. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was selling a mid grade early Fantastic Four. I was offered the highest recorded GPA sale at that time. I said no and sold the book for $200 more on Ebay.

I agree with the fact that GPA only represents a section of the market.

Do I think that 75-80% of OS is a "fair" price for a lower grade key? Not really. Do I think that 50% of OS is a "fair" price just because GPA says so? Not really, either. Ultimately, you have to decide on your own how much to put into a book.

Do I think GPA should be used in coming up with an acceptable offer? Of course, the more information the better. Do I think people should ONLY use GPA? No, although a lot of people on here do ESPECIALLY when it's lower than OS.

I agree with Pete, they are only guidelines. Most private high grade sales exceed both. GPA tends to represent only the buyers' side of the equation. OS is irrelevant for non-keys (i.e., low demand) at less than 8.0. EBay sales data is unreliable. However, all function together as good pricing tools. grin.gif

King...sorry your thread got derailed, but at least it is turning out to be a very interesting discussion. I agree with you and October...everyone will lowball here hoping to get a bargain, with only hard-to-find and/or ultra HG stuff being the exception.

I almost always get more on eBay than offers here...but of course eBay is a much greater risk and then there are those pesky fees!

For the most accurate market picture, I use GPA, eBay sold items searches and then the OPG as a reference. This one is tough because there is such a discrepancy...I would probably hold out for 75% of OPG unless you need the money and don't have a lot into the book. One question I have is does GPA have any capability of tracking non-internet sales?

I would probably hold out for 75% of OPG...

This post is going to make some people mad, but it needs to be said. I think other posters are holding back, in consideration of the seller's feelings. This is just tough love, I promise. I have no interest in this book, so my opinions are not self-serving. But I think it's very ambitious to expect what would be a record sale, according to GPA. Maybe for high-grade, but not for 3.5 with cream pages and a partially detached cover. If I were going to pay OS price for a 3.5, I would want no notes about the cover, tape, ripped pages, etc.

I hate to be a party-pooper, but I'm just giving my honest opinion. I just paid more than OS and more than GPA (yes, mine is a record high price right now on GPA) for a comic in the August Heritage auction. But it was a 9.2 GA Batman. I think JLA's are overvalued anyway, and your chances of getting a high percentage of OS guide decreases with grade. Every sale recorded in GPA for this book in this grade has been less than $389. Expect this to be too. In fact, in the last 2 years, the highest 4.0 that sold was $520 (8 of the last 10 were less than $500), so definitely expect less than that.

I'm not trying to be mean, or ruin your profits. If you can find a buyer who doesn't know about GPA, and can get him to pay more than anyone else has on eBay or Heritage in the last 4 years, then go for it! Probably won't happen on these boards though.

This post is going to make some people mad, but it needs to be said. I think other posters are holding back, in consideration of the seller's feelings. This is just tough love, I promise. I have no interest in this book, so my opinions are not self-serving. But I think it's very ambitious to expect what would be a record sale, according to GPA. Maybe for high-grade, but not for 3.5 with cream pages and a partially detached cover. If I were going to pay OS price for a 3.5, I would want no notes about the cover, tape, ripped pages, etc.

Guide price is guide price regardless of grade. The prices are set accordingly to the grade. And the notes don't matter. The cover is allowed to be detached from one staple as a part of the OS grading scale. It is considered a normal and acceptable defect in that grade. So, to reject a book for an allowable defect which is not even influential on the eye appeal is silly. Are you a label chaser? That would be the only explanation for that I can think of.

I hate to be a party-pooper, but I'm just giving my honest opinion. I just paid more than OS and more than GPA (yes, mine is a record high price right now on GPA) for a comic in the August Heritage auction. But it was a 9.2 GA Batman. I think JLA's are overvalued anyway, and your chances of getting a high percentage of OS guide decreases with grade. Every sale recorded in GPA for this book in this grade has been less than $389. Expect this to be too. In fact, in the last 2 years, the highest 4.0 that sold was $520 (8 of the last 10 were less than $500), so definitely expect less than that.

What does you overpaying for a 9.2 Batman have to do with this JLA? Why would you even try and compare the two? Comparing across ages just doesn't work because in general books from various ages sell for various percentages of guide. Saying that you paid over guide for a GA Batman isn't some rare occurence--it is the norm. To compare the two isn't logical. Your opinion as to the value of JLAs is your own personal preference--luckily you don't have to buy it if you feel that way. thumbsup2.gif

I'm not trying to be mean, or ruin your profits. If you can find a buyer who doesn't know about GPA, and can get him to pay more than anyone else has on eBay or Heritage in the last 4 years, then go for it! Probably won't happen on these boards though.

That's because these boards are full of label chasers. But in general, people are willing to be lenient on the grade as they buy what they can afford.

Why fight about this?

If you want to set a GPA record, that's great, but you aren't going to do that here. I know it and so do you. This marketplace is used for two things:

1. Dumping moderns and VF or below at 50% off guide.

2. Selling HG stuff for decent prices.

The JLA is nice, but nobody here is going to shell out significantly more than GPA for it. That doesn't make them or you right or wrong, it's just the way it is. Arguing is just banging your head against a brick wall.

Why fight about this?

If you want to set a GPA record, that's great, but you aren't going to do that here. I know it and so do you. This marketplace is used for two things:

The JLA is nice, but nobody here is going to shell out significantly more than GPA for it. That doesn't make them or you right or wrong, it's just the way it is. Arguing is just banging your head against a brick wall.

That's for damn sure!

We are all a bunch of cheap arses. 27_laughing.gif

Why fight about this?

That's for damn sure!

Either cheap arses or savy buyers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why fight about this?

That's for damn sure!

Either cheap arses or savy buyers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would say cheap arses POSING as savy buyers. thumbsup2.gif

A book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That is why GPA is what I use.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Oh..ok so u use GPA to determine what U are willing too pay because that is what SOMEONE else is willing 2 pay. screwy.gif

The overstreet numbers are just estimates while GPA is based on actual recorded sales.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I hear u ..I'd rather pay what someone else is willing too rather than an estimate based on a broader market. screwy.gif