• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

I have a couple of HH books myself, and they are white as white copies. Other books look positively....their age! next to them.

Shhhh! 893naughty-thumb.gif

devil.gif

boo.gifforeheadslap.gif ...anyways they've all been pretty much sold through now.

Esquire has his silly asking prices on a few remaining, and the dude at socal comics is the same.

The thing is no one see's those back cover's until they have bought them...thats when they realise you need sunlgasses to look at them! hail.gif

I have a couple of HH books myself, and they are white as white copies. Other books look positively....their age! next to them.

devil.gif

boo.gifforeheadslap.gif ...anyways they've all been pretty much sold through now.

Esquire has his silly asking prices on a few remaining, and the dude at socal comics is the same.

The thing is no one see's those back cover's until they have bought them...thats when they realise you need sunlgasses to look at them! hail.gif

Unfortunately (from what Doug told me) there were no Human Torch Strange Tales in the HH collection ... sorry.gif

BTW is there an article somewhere that gives a bit of history on the HH collection ?

Is that collection owned by a Hollywood mogul ?

devil.gif

Unfortunately (from what Doug told me) there were no Human Torch Strange Tales in the HH collection ... sorry.gif

BTW is there an article somewhere that gives a bit of history on the HH collection ?

Fred, my boy, you took the word of a BSD as fact when talking about possible sales foreheadslap.gifmakepoint.gif

Doug wasn't party to the sale of the initial release of this collection. Socal comics had all the Strange Tales HH books. It was a mixed bag of issues that scored high grades, and some had multiple copies of single issues in HG.

But be assured though, there is still one major ped of ST books still to be slabbed.

And that ped should eclipse all before it! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

devil.gif

Fred, my boy, you took the word of a BSD as fact when talking about possible sales foreheadslap.gifmakepoint.gif

Doug wasn't party to the sale of the initial release of this collection. Socal comics had all the Strange Tales HH books. It was a mixed bag of issues that scored high grades, and some had multiple copies of single issues in HG.

But be assured though, there is still one major ped of ST books still to be slabbed.

And that ped should eclipse all before it! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Are you refering to the Curator Strange Tales or the yet unslabbed Mass.copy of the Human Torch issues ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would just love to get my hand on a picture of the Curator ST 103 cloud9.gif

BTW Mark Zaid also told me last November that there were no ST between 101-134 in the collection, probably because the collection starts in 1965 (from what I have read) ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Edited by frederic9494

Sullypython, did you scan those as "color document" or as "color photo"? I found

that "color document" produced dark images, while "color photo" worked much

better for brightness/contrast.

Are you refering to the Curator Strange Tales or the yet unslabbed Mass.copy of the Human Torch issues ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW Mark Zaid also told me last November that there were no ST between 101-134 in the collection, probably because the collection starts in 1965 (from what I have read) ? confused-smiley-013.gif

Not to try and knock you or anything here Fred, but you may have your wires crossed a little there.

I'm not sure if there are missing issue's from the ST curator run, but the collection certainly does date around the start of the super hero run of ST. Hence the Curator AF #15 discussed in SA section last week.

But where ever they are, speaking with a few people, it's likely they are all with one person. Hence why none have emerged, or the odd one appearing on the census

Not to try and knock you or anything here Fred, but you may have your wires crossed a little there.

I'm not sure if there are missing issue's from the ST curator run, but the collection certainly does date around the start of the super hero run of ST. Hence the Curator AF #15 discussed in SA section last week.

But where ever they are, speaking with a few people, it's likely they are all with one person. Hence why none have emerged, or the odd one appearing on the census

Frederic was referring to the Hollywood Hills books, which only range from 1965-68. Apparently there are no Torch/Thing issues.

Frederic was referring to the Hollywood Hills books, which only range from 1965-68. Apparently there are no Torch/Thing issues.

Arh, now that makes a little more sense. wink.gif

It's probably not a bad thing that the HH collection only goes for a msall period, with up to 3 copies of cetain issues grading in at 9.6. It kind of kills the scarcity factor for these books.

Arh, now that makes a little more sense. wink.gif

It's probably not a bad thing that the HH collection only goes for a msall period, with up to 3 copies of cetain issues grading in at 9.6. It kind of kills the scarcity factor for these books.

Thanks Bob ! Everything is clear now laugh.gif

As for the HH, it's probably a good thing that there's no Torch/Thing issues - Could you imagine 2-3 copies of certain key issues (or scarce one like ST 103) popping up at 9.4 or 9.6 ? It would kill the fun/challenge of trying to put a high grade run of ST.

That being said, I stick to 8.5-9.0 range grin.gif

It's almost as tough, but much cheaper !

That being said, I stick to 8.5-9.0 range grin.gif

It's almost as tough, but much cheaper !

True, those grades still represent solid quality, so best of luck, as they are as you say hard to find in those grades as well!

The ped's do to some extent distort the picture of things sometimes. Particularly the PC copies for the ST run... 2 copies of #110 in 9.6 for instance. They look almost readily available, but in reality it's very different.

So, I got to wondering about Ditko original art from Strange Tales. does anyone

know what happened to the Doctor Strange OA from issues 110-146? Is any of it

in collector hands?

So, I got to wondering about Ditko original art from Strange Tales. does anyone

know what happened to the Doctor Strange OA from issues 110-146? Is any of it

in collector hands?

Ditko Dr. Strange art is exceedingly rare because only a relatively few issues of art made it out into the public domain (at least, so say the experts) and it's rumored that much of the art was returned to Ditko when Marvel did their art relocation project in the 1980s.

Chris Caira (comix4fun) has a page (you can see it at http://www.hulk-smash.com ) and about once a year a page sells -- but usually privately, collector to collector.

You figure that there were like 35 issues of Ditko art, and max 12 pages per issue. If only a handful of issues have been accounted for then that makes a very small number of actual pages out on the market in comparison to the Ditko fans who'd love to own one..... The art that Ditko owns may never see the light of day.

Here's a quote from a thread where Chris tallied the Ditko pages vs ASM, and makes mention of the scarcity of Dr. Strange art compared to ASM.

Here's a link to the thread: linky

While I tend to agree that the Ditko superhero stuff is his most pricey, I don't know if you can place Dr. Strange far behind ASM. While his Strange is behind ASM in popularity, his output on Dr. Strange was very small compared to his ASM output.

Ditko produced approx(pencils and inks) 828 pages for Amazing Spider-Man,

Ditko produced apprx(pencils and inks) 298 pages for Dr. Strange.

Most of the Dr. Strange stories were either 5,8,9 or 10 pages each with none being longer than 10 pages. Ditko's ASM stories were all at least 20 pages in length. So while Spidey might be more popular than Dr. Strange, he also has a 3 to 1 lead on all Ditko pages that were produced.

If the supply were equal I would agree with you ASM pages and Dr. Strange pages of similiar quality would be ASM #1 and Strange #2. But the dearth of Dr. Strange pages in existence and the rarity of quality pages to the market close the gap considerably. For similar in costume action pages I have seen Dr. Strange pages be the equal to sometimes, and at times the superior of, similar quality ASM pages....and that is do to simple relative scarcity.

The rest of what you said makes sense.

Best,

Chris Caira

Thanks for the info, Rhino. Too bad it's so rare and expensive.

That's an awesome Dr. Strange page (#127p2).

That was interesting reading.

I have just recently secured a splash page to one of the books you picked up recently Rosland, and enquired regarding DrStrange ST pages, and it seems what I was told agreed with Rhino's information.

My source also mentioned that the later DrStrange ST is not around either, with Steranko still in position of all of his art. So there's only a very small period ST Dr Strange art potentially available, even before you get to the scarcity issues associated with the Ditko DrStrange pages.

Thanks for the info, Rhino. Too bad it's so rare and expensive.

That's an awesome Dr. Strange page (#127p2).

Oh, I drool every time I look at Chris' site! I'd love to have a Ditko Doc Strange page. And a Dikto ASM page. And..... ah well, there's that addiction again! tongue.gif

headbang.gif