• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Nice set of books Angelo! Are you collecting the run?

Mike

I gotta agree with Mike, very sweet "raw" copies you have Angelo!!!!

yes... even though I pulled away from ST's at the beginning of this year and sold them all off.... I still love'em... :cloud9: and I check this thread daily... :gossip:

Nice set of books Angelo! Are you collecting the run?

Mike

Kinda, Mike. It's been put on the backburner lately, but I very much enjoy the run. I read the Dr.Strange stories as a kid and loved them, so I want to put that run together one day. But why stop there with great art by Kirby, Steranko, et al. I need to re-energize my ST batteries, methinks.

Angelo

Frederic, you had a chance to look at that new ST #111 up on Pedigee. For a 9.0, it's looking quite a sharp book. Plus a minor ped to boot.

Definitely worth a look see.

Yep, saw that one. Nice looking copy and one of my favorite ST cover (I really like the inking job on this one) :cool:

I have seen a CGC 8.0, some 9.0 for sale but no friggin' 8.5 ! :pullhair: One day I'll have one :wishluck:

PS. Anybody know why so many of the Mannarino books have COW pages ?

Probably the way they were stored, I would guess.

Angelo

That's the reason I read somewhere, a hot room or something. Nice book Frederic!! (thumbs u

Ya from what I've seen OW/W is the exception, not the rule. Plus a few dust shadows seen. But not to worry, Heritage still get those graded out at 9.4 (thumbs u

Must of been a room with plenty of natural light. doh!

I have some contributions for this thread, but first a bit of a story. I collected marvels as a kid in the 70's, the then current issues and silver age. Of course I sold them all in 1980 when I was 16. As I'm sure you all know they never really get out of your blood and I would periodically pick up an old book at the LCS in the 80's. I also helped my younger brother, Tom, organize the comics he was buying new at the time. Skip ahead to 1990 and my brother Tom was paralyzed in a car accident while serving in the Army in Berlin (he was there when the wall came down.) At some point after my brother returned home, stabilized and settled into life in a wheelchair we got around to talking about comics. He had a little money to burn and we decided to put together a nice collection of silver age Marvels. He bankrolled the books, I served as his trusted hands and I already knew a lot about the titles and important issues and such. It was a fun time and a great experience for us. As part of this we nabbed some nice Strange Tales. Tom was excited by these as they were kind of exotic, he'd never seen most of them before. As it turns out we have a few apparent Bethlehem copies in our collection so I thought I'd scan those and share them here.

A very sharp Bethlehem Strange Tales 102:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/rtarturo/Strangetales102043.jpg[/img]]Strange Tales 102

A NM Bethlehem Strange Tales 105:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/rtarturo/Strangetales105042.jpg[/img]]Strange Tales 105

A VF++ Bethlehem Strange Tales 111:

Strangetales111044.jpg

There's a couple more that I'll add tomorrow night.

Hope you enjoy them, we sure do.

The scans seem to make them appear a touch dirty, they are very bright and clean with white pages peaking out.