• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

Well said. The hunt is the thing, it's actually kind of sad when a run is completed.

Personally, I hope Doug's runs are never broken up, but passed to another

well-heeled collector or maybe a museum;-)

Then never be afraid to break up your run and start the "thrill of the hunt" again!! poke2.gif

Well said. The hunt is the thing, it's actually kind of sad when a run is completed.

Personally, I hope Doug's runs are never broken up, but passed to another

well-heeled collector or maybe a museum;-)

Then never be afraid to break up your run and start the "thrill of the hunt" again!! poke2.gif

Admittedly thats the worst thing about Doug's run, the hunt is gone, it's just sitting in one place, no mystery, no surprise.

And it's initial offerings are at ludicris prices, from the well heeled, and the not so well heeled perspective. But when he does sell, which I do beleive will happen, the prices will have to come down. And he can't command $$kk'ss of dollars for every book. So I think quite a few buyer's wil snap up singles, doubles, and triples from the run, with your usual dealer suspects picking up chunks of the run, and trying to resell them to us at some silly mark-up (e.g they'll sit in their for sale section for the following 3-4 years).

But thats my prediction on what would happen.

Admittedly thats the worst thing about Doug's run, the hunt is gone, it's just sitting in one place, no mystery, no surprise.

And it's initial offerings are at ludicris prices, from the well heeled, and the not so well heeled perspective. But when he does sell, which I do beleive will happen, the prices will have to come down. And he can't command $$kk'ss of dollars for every book. So I think quite a few buyer's wil snap up singles, doubles, and triples from the run, with your usual dealer suspects picking up chunks of the run, and trying to resell them to us at some silly mark-up (e.g they'll sit in their for sale section for the following 3-4 years).

But thats my prediction on what would happen.

I agree with that theory. Sadly, it's about timing and opportunity and the big wheels that can finance the books and allow themselves to hold for a longer period will be the majority that take stock of the collection. I hope Doug thinks of the little guys if it happens, but then again, he has to look out for #1 and why not maximize, it's good business to do so. I'll be very happy with 9.0 and 9.2's. I could never touch Doug's stuff...well...I could but my wife would hang me. 27_laughing.gif

I hope Doug thinks of the little guys if it happens, but then again, he has to look out for #1 and why not maximize, it's good business to do so. I'll be very happy with 9.0 and 9.2's. I could never touch Doug's stuff...well...I could but my wife would hang me. 27_laughing.gif

Honestly I think Doug's missed the best window (2002-2003) for selling these ultra high grade books of his. Yes they 'll always be in demand, but for guys like us, we've seen them, everyone knows about them, no allure, just the reality of coming up with the cold hard cash. Which isn't exciting.

Though I do think though once one of his ST's sells (e.g breaking the run), he'll happily let the other's fall to bidder's.

Ok, who's got the cajones?????? Rosland, Kovacsaga, ???? DadandSon ??? be damned the hanging!! (I figured that's where the Son part comes in)

Honestly I think Doug's missed the best window (2002-2003) for selling these ultra high grade books of his. Yes they 'll always be in demand, but for guys like us, we've seen them, everyone knows about them, no allure, just the reality of coming up with the cold hard cash. Which isn't exciting.

Though I do think though once one of his ST's sells (e.g breaking the run), he'll happily let the other's fall to bidder's.

Ok, who's got the cajones?????? Rosland, Kovacsaga, ???? DadandSon ??? be damned the hanging!! (I figured that's where the Son part comes in)

This is a good assessment of the timing of the industry. But the x-factor is clowns like me who pay thru the nose. I would love to honestly see the bottom fall out on book demand and prices. I'm not in this to make anything, just collect what I love so if these books dropped significantly in value I would be scooping them up and not loosing sleep on what I paid previously. As for convincing my wife and avoiding a hanging... My dear Mr. Pym, come to Canada and I'll show you a wife tougher and crazier then any ex Turkish girlfriend!!! 27_laughing.gif

I also think that after the thrill of the aquisition was done for Doug, it the next challenge became to see if he could garner better grades (through resubs) for the books he had, and upgrades in PQ designation. We've seen examples of that having happened.

I also think that after the thrill of the aquisition was done for Doug, it the next challenge became to see if he could garner better grades (through resubs) for the books he had, and upgrades in PQ designation. We've seen examples of that having happened.

True, but I do sincerely hope he doesn't get all work up about a 'review' job coming back from Saratosa. Admittely Doug has many non Ped's in his ped run's simply because the peds didn't measure up, so chasing those top spots has been his primary objective without fail.

Enough of this jibber-jabbering (I pity the fool!! sumo.gif) and pining away for books we don't have!!!!! Let's show what we do have:

st117f.jpg

st125c.jpg

A recent acquisition:

st126m.jpg

Mr. Pym, let's see that ST #111 you "stole" of Pedigree when I wasn't looking!!!!

Mr. Pym, let's see that ST #111 you "stole" of Pedigree when I wasn't looking!!!!

It's a sweet book if I remember well. cloud9.gif

Also, when it was listed, the thumbnail scan shown was not the right one...so it was easy to miss it if you only looked at the picture frown.gif

Enough of this jibber-jabbering (I pity the fool!! sumo.gif) and pining away for books we don't have!!!!! Let's show what we do have:

Oh man... those are sweet to look at Rich!!! hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Paul!! I enjoyed those Bostons you shared earlier thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Paul!! I enjoyed those Bostons you shared earlier thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Rich, I actually just picked up issue #153 which is also a Boston Pedigree copy along with some later copies from Metropolis listed as 9.8, 9.6, 9.6 & 9.4. They advertised the 153 as a 9.2 and I was happy with the first batch so I rolled the dice again. Once those 5 come in I'll be sending 15 more Strange Tales to be slabbed. 7 pre-hero issues and 8 hero issues ( including #110 & 115 which won't grade super high 6.0-8.0 IMO, but they will still help solidify that I'm serious about ST and can upgrade later. ) thumbsup2.gif

Ok, this fool was on to that in a heart beat!

I only got 2 books out of that listing, this and the #116...too embassed to show that book, even if it is a 9.6.

Ok, whats the census on this book, 2 9.6's of which Doug owns the PC copy, oh and then there's this one sitting on it's lonesome devil.gifflowerred.gif

ST1119.jpg

The 110 looks to be in plentiful supply next to this issue!

Ok, this fool was on to that in a heart beat!

I only got 2 books out of that listing, this and the #116...too embassed to show that book, even if it is a 9.6.

Ok, whats the census on this book, 2 9.6's of which Doug owns the PC copy, oh and then there's this one sitting on it's lonesome devil.gifflowerred.gif

Nicely done Mr. Pym!!! That #111 is amazing!!! Even if it has one of the weakest villan concepts ever... Asbestos Man!!! What the hell does he do... snuff fires and cause cancer!?!?!

ST1119.jpg

Gorgeous book! cloud9.gif

What is not listed on the label (even with new labels) is that this issue marks also the 1st appearance of Baron Mordo. Not the greatest of super-villains, but an important one for Dr. Strange fans.

Gorgeous book! cloud9.gif

What is not listed on the label (even with new labels) is that this issue marks also the 1st appearance of Baron Mordo. Not the greatest of super-villains, but an important one for Dr. Strange fans.

I didn't actually know that...e.g I don't have even a reading copy of the issue. Obviously the less than reviting cover hides a slightly more engrossing interior story.

I do have to agree with Dadandson, the cover concept is not what you'd call classic. I'd put in the same category as those TTA issue's with 'the Spinning top' on the cover.

You got to think the boys were definitely scraping the bottom of the ideas barrel for that month's effort.

I do have to agree with Dadandson, the cover concept is not what you'd call classic. I'd put in the same category as those TTA issue's with 'the Spinning top' on the cover.

You got to think the boys were definitely scraping the bottom of the ideas barrel for that month's effort.

Although it's not a classic, I like that cover (especially the inking job)

This one is a great improvement from ST 110. They hit the bottom of the pit with that one! grin.gif

Although it's not a classic, I like that cover (especially the inking job)

This one is a great improvement from ST 110. They hit the bottom of the pit with that one! grin.gif

Admittedly any book with 'paste pot pete' on the cover is never going to win awards, but I still have to say I like it. As to say whether more than #111, thats tough. Your right about #111 having a great inking job, and actually a fair amount of menace to the cover. It's just the whole concept of 'Asbestos man', that makes everyone titter a bit.

Campy villians or not, they're all works of art to me ( IMHO ) !!! And in those grades... WOW!!!

And right you are, and there's no way either of those books would leave my hands once they reached my collection. They are classics, campyness and all!