• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

ST1119.jpg

For what it's worth, I love the look and execution of some of the Strange Tales covers around this time. I think they're Ayers ink jobs.......and the rich colors are very evocative of that era. The color palettes on some of these covers are fab! I love them! thumbsup2.gif

ST1119.jpg

For what it's worth, I love the look and execution of some of the Strange Tales covers around this time. I think they're Ayers ink jobs.......and the rich colors are very evocative of that era. The color palettes on some of these covers are fab! I love them! thumbsup2.gif

Great book Mr. Pym and thanks for sharing thumbsup2.gif I love these covers and Kirby can make even the lamest villains look badass!!!! Maybe if Asbestos Man did have a "cancer ray" he would have been more formidible!! I agree with Red here that the color palettes are just amazing and it all works somehow. As far as the stories are concerned, The Torch tales can be found in "Essential Human Torch" and the Dr. Strange tales are in "Essential Dr. Strange"

Great book Mr. Pym and thanks for sharing thumbsup2.gif I love these covers and Kirby can make even the lamest villains look badass!!!! Maybe if Asbestos Man did have a "cancer ray" he would have been more formidible!! I agree with Red here that the color palettes are just amazing and it all works somehow. As far as the stories are concerned, The Torch tales can be found in "Essential Human Torch" and the Dr. Strange tales are in "Essential Dr. Strange"

This week, I will receive this one . It should be interesting reading in full color 893applaud-thumb.gif

marvelmasterworks.jpg

Edited by frederic9494

This week, I will receive this one . It should be interesting reading in full color 893applaud-thumb.gif

marvelmasterworks.jpg

Hey Frederic!!! Does Marvel Masterworks have a complete run of the Strange Tales or just those books as a certain selection?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For Strange Tales, Human Torch and Dr Strange stories are split into separate Masterworks. This one is the first with the Human Torch. There's two volume already available of Dr Strange stories, with vol.1 covering ST 110,111 & 114-141.

There are two pre-hero books.

The Tales To Astonish 1-10 is out already, and the Tales of Suspense 1-10 should

be out next week or so.

Don't know about any Strange Tales pre-hero though.

I have the two Doctor Strange and the Torch books. A fun read.

As far as the stories are concerned, The Torch tales can be found in "Essential Human Torch" and the Dr. Strange tales are in "Essential Dr. Strange"

Kovac much appreciated there. I never realised Essential DrStrange went back that far. And additionally with the Human Torch. thumbsup2.gif

ST1119.jpg

I think it's quite a fine example of an early Marvel cover.

Bold, crude and Kirby probably did it quickly BUT it has the classic "How can >insert hero's name here< defend himself against >insert super-villain's name here<!" arrow.

ST1119.jpg

Bold, crude and Kirby probably did it quickly BUT it has the classic "How can >insert hero's name here< defend himself against >insert super-villain's name here<!" arrow.

I think what also sets the books out, is that the cover does have a strong pre-hero style to it, with hightened persepctive as the background deminishes off rapidly. And the positioning of the figures in the immediate forground, with the torch merely raising a forearm to ward off the threatening attacker. Stylisticly barren in comparison to the covers previously done, and soon to follow.

This is the only cover where the torch is seen standing and not flying. And there is only one other cover where the torch is shown with his feet touching the ground - #115, and doing neither flying or standing in #103, and #129, and all of these involve 'traps' of some kind or another. So it does seem rather uncharacteristic to have the torch grounded in a cover for no particular reason.

Maybe an attempt to inject more suspence in the cover, with the Torch 'frozen' to the spot with fear...excuse the pun. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is the only cover where the torch is seen standing and not flying. And there is only one other cover where the torch is shown with his feet touching the ground - #115, and doing neither flying or standing in #103, and #129, and all of these involve 'traps' of some kind or another. So it does seem rather uncharacteristic to have the torch grounded in a cover for no particular reason.

Maybe an attempt to inject more suspence in the cover, with the Torch 'frozen' to the spot with fear...excuse the pun. confused-smiley-013.gif

ST 106 is another cover where the Human Torch is standing. This one's shares a same feature than ST 103, e.g. in both of these he is partially flammed-on.

ST106.jpg

Of course, that's Doug's copy of the book grin.gif

Great example and commentary. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!

Of note also regarding ST 106 is that it's tied (same month) with ASM #1 as being the first Fantastic Four cover apparition outside the FF comic book. It would be nice if CGC would recognize this at some point.

It's also (if I remember well), the first full appearance by the FF in ST (except for the origin recap in ST 101) I don't think that book would tie as first FF cross-over (ST is too FF-related), but in my own magic world, it does cloud9.gif

ST1119.jpg

This is a great cover but they kind of kill the impact of it by calling the guy "Abestos man". Oh an the word bubble doesn't help either.

This is a great cover but they kind of kill the impact of it by calling the guy "Abestos man". Oh an the word bubble doesn't help either.

893naughty-thumb.gif I love word bubbles in early Marvel covers cloud9.gif

I don't know why they stopped using them at some point but it was great while it lasted laugh.gif

Edited by frederic9494

893naughty-thumb.gif I love word bubbles in early Marvel covers cloud9.gif

I don't know why they stopped using them at some point but it was great while it lasted laugh.gif

Absolutely... I always felt the early Marvel covers were stories unto themselves thumbsup2.gif

I just made an interesting discovery today. I recently purchased Strange Tales #142, #151, #152 and most recently #153 which are all Boston Pedigree. Then I discovered that Doug has #151 & #153 from the Boston Pedigree too. I didn't realize that they were mulitplies of the same issue from the same pedigree floating around!!!

I just made an interesting discovery today. I recently purchased Strange Tales #142, #151, #152 and most recently #153 which are all Boston Pedigree. Then I discovered that Doug has #151 & #153 from the Boston Pedigree too. I didn't realize that they were mulitplies of the same issue from the same pedigree floating around!!!

The Boston "pedigree" is notorious for that. Lots of dupes, especially with the Caps.

I think the Bostons qualify more as a "hoard" or collection then anything else.

The Boston "pedigree" is notorious for that. Lots of dupes, especially with the Caps.

I think the Bostons qualify more as a "hoard" or collection then anything else.

Good to know.. thanks George... I love the idea of getting ST's in a pedigree since this is a mainstay in my collection till I die.