• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The superman

104 posts in this topic

That is the real scan.You have simply colored it in. The original cover[which does exsist was owned by Russ Cochran I believe.

This cover depicts the developement of the Superman concept by his creators.

This is the first time The word Superman was associated with A HERO[as depicted on this cover fighting a villian]...The original concept [believe it or not]Superman was a villian[1933 The Reign of the Superman]...The cover you show here is seig and shusters change of the character from Evil to good shown here for the 1st time.The costume concept had not been developed yet.

I am the guy who got the original art from Russ Cochran back around 1970

he got it from Bill Gaines

Who got it out of his dad's desk in 1969 when he was cleaning out his parent's house because his mom was being placed into a retirement home

This was when Russ first got back from NYC and had cut the deal for the first EC PORTFOLIO and which also brought us the WSF 29 Frazetta hand colored water color prints deal.

I live a couple hour drive from where Russ then lived, who then taught Math/Physics at Drake University in Des Moines Iowa

When i got to his house in Adel Iowa, he asked me if i wanted this Superman thing, the cover you see scanned here. He said he did not collect Superman stuff,nor did Bill Gaines

Bill G had found it jammed up inside in the back if one of his dad's desk drawers, a desk which had sat untouched since August 1947 when MC Gaines had been killed in that suspect freak boating accident

I did not know what this was, but looking at the condition of it, i knew i had to do something - i was a senior in high school at the time

I took it down to Nebraska Printing & Litho, the printer there taught me how to red opaque what would be printing errors, covering up the tears which left it in 4 pieces - plus cleaning the fire tinges around the edges

I did all the cleaning on it, carefully not opaquing where ever Joe's art work lines were - you can still make out the tear marks if you know where to look carefully. You can see where the tears where in Superman's rear end as well his fore head among other places

I did an article on this in CBM 36 i believe it was over a decade ago called THE FIRST SUPERMAN COVER - a slightly different version ran in a Comics Buyer's Guide the same time span - the # eludes my memory right now.

I had printed up 300 copies twice up from the original - i have a few left re-discovered a few years ago -

what else do you want to know?

Robert Beerbohm

Bob,

How much are u selling the twice up b/w Superman prints for now? Is it printed on 11 x 17 inch thicker paperstock?

I had these posters printed on thick index, with a varnish covering

- same size as double up Marvel art

I have been getting $100 each for the few remaining copies

you can really make out the detail of Joe Shuster's art work on this

I should add that puzzling out the ramifications of this THE SUPERMAN cover led me over the years to track down all the info I could on Humor Publishing Company's output of comic books

One can see many traits Joe borrowed from each cover to make elements of THE SUPERMAN

1369515-humor.jpg

the-superman-cover.gif

Apparently after it was rejected, the contents were trashed and only the cover survived.

http://superman.ws/seventy/reign/

This is great for those who haven't read it. (Probably not the case for any of you guys. smile.gif )

I note this is a copy with the 1933 date super-imposed

- maybe out of Comic Book Marketplace as Gary Carter was concerned about something i do nto remember what, and altered the date - i wish i could remember the specific concern at the time circa 1995

What Joe did was in a fit of rejection depression, first ripped up all the art, then threw it into a fire place - and Jerry fished the cove rout of the fire

I should add that puzzling out the ramifications of this THE SUPERMAN cover led me over the years to track down all the info I could on Humor Publishing Company's output of comic books

One can see many traits Joe borrowed from each cover to make elements of THE SUPERMAN

1369515-humor.jpg

you should send those to CGC insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Thanks Robert !

Yes that is exactly how I remember the story. Of course since you were part of it, it is well cooberated. Yep, the piece exsists.

Who owns the Ace King and Detective Dan? Amazingly important material as well as amazingly RARE!

1369515-humor.jpg

Bob,

Do you have a picture of what the inside of the Detective Dan looks like?