• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The superman

104 posts in this topic

I should add that puzzling out the ramifications of this THE SUPERMAN cover led me over the years to track down all the info I could on Humor Publishing Company's output of comic books

One can see many traits Joe borrowed from each cover to make elements of THE SUPERMAN

1369515-humor.jpg

Bob,

Do you have a picture of what the inside of the Detective Dan looks like?

these are my books....if there is overwhelming interest, I will break my own rule of "don't touch these books", and I'll touch these books and post some pics

The pics of the three Humor books together ran a couple times in the Obadiah Oldbuck vs Superman thread - as well as once on the REVEL IN HISTORY - POST YOUR PLAT BOOks thread - so, nothing "new" here, other than to try to let people compare the cover theme lettering of The Superman VS Humor covers.

I have coverless Detec Can and Ace King, but theyare not handy for me to find right now.

I did most all my major research into the Humor stuff more than a decade ago, and have had very little reason to dig out my copies by making them readily accessible.

Other stuff i am researching had bubbled to the surface such as the Plat section expansions.

But now my curiosity is picced as well to re-examine them as is a project i have been talking about with a friend for about six months now.

I have owned Bob Skully and sold a very high grade copy to Steve Geppi a few years ago

But it is this first Superman cover with which i am intimately involved for people being able to study it these days - a "save the unknown Superman cover" puzzle that fascinated my addled brain over 35 years ago to preserve it for posterity

What gets bandied about is that 1933 cut & paste version which deviates from the 1928 original version I got from Russ. I think i gave $100 in trade for it, what Russ wanted. He kept after me to get it from him, saying i "needed" to own it.

A friend of mine made up 50 small size posters from one of my larger ones back in the mid 1970s on the quick so Joe Shuster could have something to sign and sell at some Los Angeles comicon.

Somewhere i have a photo of Joe holding one of those posters - if i uncover it soon and this thread is still alive, i will post i here

A friend of mine and i are working on an expansion of my BIG BANG THEORY OF COMIC BOOK HISTORY article which was in Comic Book Marketplace 50.

It will include facsimile reprints of all the Julius Schwartz, Weisinger, Ackerman THE TIME TRAVELLER, all the SCIENCE FICTION DIGEST zines by the same team and all five of the Jerry & Joe SCIENCE FICTION

coupled with all the pics Gary carter dropped out of the article - some 35-40 other comparisons of Joe swiping out of Gernsback's SCIENCE AND INVENTION magazine - the shot of Krypton exploding, the rocket ship bringing Kal-El to earth, other shots.

see, i have studied the layers of origin of Superman in depth as part of my comics business history book i have been working on -and i have added a lot more tid bits of data in the decade since the CBM articles ran.

would have had this put together sooner, but i got side tracked bringing America's first comics businesses of the 1800s back to the consciousness of comic book collectors every where, irregardless of all the nay-sayers who still have a lot to learn thumbsup2.gif

I had printed up 300 copies twice up from the original - i have a few left re-discovered a few years ago -

what else do you want to know?

Robert Beerbohm

Hi Bob,

PM me about the copies.

I'd be interested in one if the price is right (have mercy on me, kind Sir, please!) crazy.gif

Thanks from one collector to another,

Bob

flowerred.gifhi.gif

A friend of mine and i are working on an expansion of my BIG BANG THEORY OF COMIC BOOK HISTORY article which was in Comic Book Marketplace 50.

It will include facsimile reprints of all the Julius Schwartz, Weisinger, Ackerman THE TIME TRAVELLER, all the SCIENCE FICTION DIGEST zines by the same team and all five of the Jerry & Joe SCIENCE FICTION

coupled with all the pics Gary carter dropped out of the article - some 35-40 other comparisons of Joe swiping out of Gernsback's SCIENCE AND INVENTION magazine - the shot of Krypton exploding, the rocket ship bringing Kal-El to earth, other shots.

see, i have studied the layers of origin of Superman in depth as part of my comics business history book i have been working on -and i have added a lot more tid bits of data in the decade since the CBM articles ran.

Oh, man! That will make for some great reading!!! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Really great to hear the firsthand account of this -- thanks for sharing, Bob.

and don't forget the tied-up victim is Jerry Siegel himself!

about the dates: you are very right to question these. For one, 1928 is a practical impossibility. '33 seems a much better alternative -- but why then was it 'added?' And with the very prominent copyright symbol which they barely ever used? There are some very, very strange things going on in this picture. But that's all I'll say. It is def. a Joe, and it is def. from the thirties, but there seems to be more going on here......

Superman history, or as I like to call it, the Geek DaVinci Code... : )

Brad

www.lastson.greendoorfilms.com

I should add that puzzling out the ramifications of this THE SUPERMAN cover led me over the years to track down all the info I could on Humor Publishing Company's output of comic books

One can see many traits Joe borrowed from each cover to make elements of THE SUPERMAN

1369515-humor.jpg

Bob,

these are my books....if there is overwhelming interest, I will break my own rule of "don't touch these books", and I'll touch these books and post some pics

Steve! If you don't touch your books you are not a comic collector!! We can argue all day as to what is a comic and what isn't, but if you don't read, fondle. smell, and otherwise enjoy your books in a tactile nature, then you are merely an investor. And as such would not be welcome in a discussion forum about comic books, by comic book collectors and lovers. So snap a couple of pictures of them to help the uninformed, silly (as Bob calls us) hold outs as to what a comic truly is. If Detective Dan is one of the the first comic books of the 20th century, I need to see the inside so I can make an informed judgement.

Thanks,

Bill

1369515-humor.jpg

Bob,

Steve! If you don't touch your books you are not a comic collector!! We can argue all day as to what is a comic and what isn't, but if you don't read, fondle. smell, and otherwise enjoy your books in a tactile nature, then you are merely an investor. And as such would not be welcome in a discussion forum about comic books, by comic book collectors and lovers. So snap a couple of pictures of them to help the uninformed, silly (as Bob calls us) hold outs as to what a comic truly is. If Detective Dan is one of the the first comic books of the 20th century, I need to see the inside so I can make an informed judgement.

Thanks,

Bill

Hold on a minute Bill...I have to challenge you on something, and then we'll talk Detective Dan pics. I am a collector/investor...call me a hybrid. I love my books, and have read them all, and smelled them, fondled them..all that stuff you mentioned above.

My key books though I don't handle after reading them and exploring them just one time......I keep them heavily sedated in multiple layers of archival materials after that, because I wouldn't sleep at night if my handeling were to cause ANY deterioratin to their condition. If I buy a book as an 8.0, it's not going to end up as a 7.5 because of my own doing. I'm sure you have spent $20,000 on a comic book or two in your days....bet you didn't fondle and read those books to often?

You mention investor like it's a dirty word....it's not. Investors are often the group that drive the high prices that we all benefit from when it comes time to sell. So this weekend, I will allow my investor/collector self to take pics of the interior of Detective Dan, and post them for all to enjoy. I LOVE my comic books, and no matter how you label me, that won't change!

will someone PLEASE help covert the following 4 attachments into images you don't have to click on to see....I can't figure out how to do it, and it's driving me crazy! The 4 following jpegs consist of 3 interior photos and 1 rear cover shot of one of the greatest and rarest comic books ever printed--Detective Dan Secret Operative No. 48 by Humor Publishing Corp., 1933.

Detective Dan rear cover

PS. I re-read your comments Bill, and they are very offensive -- how I'm "not welcome in a discussion forum", so enjoy these pics, because there will be no more activity by me on this thread....go find your own images of Bob Scully and Detective Ace King. I would have posted them too if not for your negative and offensive comments.

1379911-op48004(2).jpg.e4347e0dccb4870c19ee8f4c441b20a9.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

With all due respect, though I understand your sentiment, I think these comments are way offbase on several levels. First of all, who said that these boards are not for investors as well as collectors. I would suspect that most of the people here are to some degree both investors and collectors. These are the CGC boards after all, not some fan site. Secondly, these scarce Humor books are not just any old comic book with hundreds or thousands of copies in existence. They are more than just comic books -- they are historical artifacts and should be treated as such. Steve is perfectly within his rights to be reticent about doing anything that might harm them and he is correct to do so, and not just to protect his investment, but to protect a piece of history.

That being said, Steve, thank you for (carefully!) taking these pics and posting them and sharing this piece of history with the rest of us. thumbsup2.gif

Detective Dan rear cover

PS. I re-read your comments Bill, and they are very offensive -- how I'm "not welcome in a discussion forum", so enjoy these pics, because there will be no more activity by me on this thread....go find your own images of Bob Scully and Detective Ace King. I would have posted them too if not for your negative and offensive comments.

Steve,

My comments were not meant to be offensive. If you took them as such I apologize.

They were in response to your comment "these are my books....if there is overwhelming interest, I will break my own rule of "don't touch these books", and I'll touch these books and post some pics "

I was simply asking you if you had a picture of the inside of one of the comics. Since your mission of late seems to be one of educating and sharing information about the beginnings of comics, I thought you might:

A. Have such a picture already

B. Not mind sharing with us since based on what I just said above.

I read your comment about "overwhelming interest" in such a way as to suggest that my asking to see one picture was too much of a bother and not worthy of complying with unless we ALL asked for it. So I responded somewhat defensively, not offensively.

Having read most of your posts on these boards and having had several PM conversations with you, I had formulated an opinion that you were a lover of the hobby, and thus was surprised to see that you have a "don't touch" rule. I can understand it if the book is too fragile or brittle, etc. And if it was you could just indicate that, and I would be fine with it.

However, for the sake of civility, again, I apologize if you were offended, and thank you very much for showing us the pictures of this very cool book, that I now wish I owned.

Bill