• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikephoen's Slabbed Batman Collection

119 posts in this topic

OK ladies......I received a PM to add my Batman #3 to this thread with info, so here it is........... VF++ unrestored with off-white pages / appears to be unread.

will be sent to CGC shortly, and is a keeper!

1699175-bat-front.jpg

1699175-bat-back.jpg

Beautiful! I received a low grade copy of #3 from Metro today. It's a great book in any shape, but that black cover just looks awesome in high grade.

What are the 5 dots on the top of the back cover, about hole-punch size?

this book is from an original owner collection, and that owner instead of writing his name on the front covers of his NM GA DC's, took a whole punch and punched out about 5 or 6 holes towards the top of the front covers to mark his territory.....this is one of the few books that was spared.

What you see, since these books were stacked, is a dust shadow from the front cover holes of the book that was under this one for untold decades......probably the otherwise NM Batman #2 from this same collection.

Heh! I have the World's Best (Finest) Comics #1 and 3 from that collection, as well as a couple Superman issues.

Whoever that guy was, he sure kept his books nice except for those @#!$&*! hole punches. smile.gif

And -- I should add that I am drooling with jealousy at some of these books. If you ever want to sell some of your extras (like that resto 7.0 #6) mail me!

Glad you like them, with a little luck I will have something new to add soon. And I've sent you a PM about the #6. thumbsup2.gif

Ok, some sorta new arrivals. I've had this one for almost 3 weeks, but I'm finally getting around to posting it. Picked it up on Ebay for $1162.00 from a fellow canuck. Gotta love not having to worry about customs wrecking/over taxing the book. The book itself is a decent 5.5, presents pretty well, although personnally I think its closer to a 5.0. Good colors, and I'm a sucker for yellow covers. I have to say though... #5 isnt one of the better covers in the run. I think it bugs me that the scales clearly shouldnt be balanced (its 3 guys vs 2!), yet they are. 27_laughing.gif

Batman5.jpg

Ok, some sorta new arrivals. I've had this one for almost 3 weeks, but I'm finally getting around to posting it. Picked it up on Ebay for $1162.00 from a fellow canuck. Gotta love not having to worry about customs wrecking/over taxing the book. The book itself is a decent 5.5, presents pretty well, although personnally I think its closer to a 5.0. Good colors, and I'm a sucker for yellow covers. I have to say though... #5 isnt one of the better covers in the run. I think it bugs me that the scales clearly shouldnt be balanced (its 3 guys vs 2!), yet they are. 27_laughing.gif

Batman5.jpg

Nice !!!!!!!!

Just in this week is #4, also from Ebay. Easy deal for me, but the seller was getting nervous with how long the book took to get to me. I think he thought I was going to be mad, but I'm used to my books spending most of a week in customs, so to me it arrived in a very timely fashion. I think the seller was quite releaved when I left him positive feedback. The book has some minor amateur restoration, one tear seal that I can see, plus some fairly obvious color touch on the spine, but its not real distracting and the book still looks nice.

There is a bug sealed in the holder though.... nice work there CGC. 27_laughing.gif If you look close you can see it just after the 'B' in the logo, on the black cape part.

I paid $1099, less than 39% of an unrestored copy in 6.5, which seems like a deal to me. Colors are really great on this one, the yellow in the title just pops.

Batman4.jpg

Just in today, both from gator rick's virtual table at the last VCC. I paid $999 for the #47 and $299 for the #32, and rick threw in the shipping. I think PGX was a little generous giving out a 5.0 on the #47... in my book its more like a 4.0 or 4.5. But I knew this going in, and I'm still happy with the book. The #32 is pretty much what I would expect from a 5.5, and again I'm happy. I might upgrade one or both of these at some point... but then again I might just keep them.

The #47 is such a cool issue, and very undervalued in the Overstreet. The #32 isnt my favorite for sure, and I have a great dislike for the Three Musketeers (a very long story, involves a girl... I dont think I'll go into it tonofbricks.gif ).

Thanks again rick, a pleasure doing business with you. At the rate you're upgrading stuff I'm sure I will pick up some of your undercopies again at some point. thumbsup2.gif

Batman47.jpg

Batman32.jpg

hello all...

I love the Bat 47....I try to buy everyone I see, but I have sold them or traded them all at my cost or lower (I think I paid $997 for that bat 47 last year)...Batman is the quintessential title (for me) to collect...challenging enough to warrant attention, historically important enough to garner interest, and issue availability enough to not make "too" easy, but not to discourage!

keep on going Mike!

gator

My other pickup from the VCC arrived earlier this week. Picked it up from board member MCMiles for $635. One of my favorite covers in the run, I will likely upgrade at some point. Not bad for a 5.0, the front presents well, although the back has some pretty bad dust shadows. Also has a small pencil arrival date which I generally try to avoid, but it isnt that intrusive. I see the next ComicLink auction has a nice 7.5 though... so I may be upgrading sooner rather than later.

Batman15.jpg

Also this week I received this #23 from boardmember lighthouse via Ebay. Paid $449 for this one, which is good I think... unfortunately I only needed this one because I let a really nice 7.0 slip though my fingers.

A couple months ago on Ebay there was a very nice 7.0, from a dealer I have previously had a good buying experience from, that sold for almost $200 less than my maximum bid....

How did this happen? I was watching the hockey game while the auction was coming to a close, planning to manually snipe at the last second. I even set a timer so that I wouldnt get too caught up in the game and miss the book.

Unfortunately I set the timer with 2 minutes to go before the auction ended, timer goes off, I refresh the page, everything looks good. Refresh again, oh wait, disputed goal in the hockey game! Watch the replay, rewind the game watch it again, wait for the ruling.... no goal! Oh wait, my auction!

Missed bidding by a couple seconds... book sold for well under my maximum.

So I have this 4.5 instead... colors are really nice, but even though it is an old label there doesnt appear to be any GA bump here. Personnally I'd say its more like a 4.0. Most likely I will upgrade this one as well someday.

Batman23.jpg

Batman23.jpg

that is a fine looking 4.5

gator

It actually looks better in the scan than it does in person. Not that its awful or anything, its not bad at all, just more like a 4 than a 4.5. And because it is an old label, I was hoping for it to look more like 5.0. The biggest defect is along the spine by the stable there is a nasty scrape that doesnt quite remove all the paper down to the interior, but definitely takes all the color. It'll do for now, but I fully expect to upgrade it at some point.

I've been waiting for a few of my 'pendings' to come in before I updated this thread, but since they're still out there somewhere (most likely some Canada Customs warehouse), here is the only recent book I've picked up.... my second Batman #47. This one came in from Heritage, I'm really happy with the price, $776.75. Just a hair above guide.

Even though this copy isnt quite as nice as the 5.0 PGX one that I picked up from gater rick a month or so earlier, I decided to keep the CGC one and flip the 5.0, as I had a good customer here who was willing to pick it up for my cost. I will most likely upgrade this one at some point anyway (I'm already eyeing the 5.5 in the next Heritage auction.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif), and because of the price I paid for this one, I might actually make a bit when and if I flip this one. Or I might just be a greedy *spoon* and see how many #47s I can soak up. devil.gif

Batman474.jpg

I've been waiting for a few of my 'pendings' to come in before I updated this thread, but since they're still out there somewhere (most likely some Canada Customs warehouse), here is the only recent book I've picked up.... my second Batman #47. This one came in from Heritage, I'm really happy with the price, $776.75. Just a hair above guide.

Even though this copy isnt quite as nice as the 5.0 PGX one that I picked up from gater rick a month or so earlier, I decided to keep the CGC one and flip the 5.0, as I had a good customer here who was willing to pick it up for my cost. I will most likely upgrade this one at some point anyway (I'm already eyeing the 5.5 in the next Heritage auction.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif), and because of the price I paid for this one, I might actually make a bit when and if I flip this one. Or I might just be a greedy *spoon* and see how many #47s I can soak up. devil.gif

Batman474.jpg

I do love batman 47...great gook!

rick