• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikephoen's Slabbed Batman Collection

119 posts in this topic

Hey all,

First post here, I've been lurking for a few weeks now, reading active threads and checking out the archives. First let me say, what a remarkable amount of comic knowledge. And thanks to CGC for archiving all the great threads (and not so great... some of those Raven threads are crazy!). It felt a little like when I bought my first Overstreet 20+ years ago! grin.gif

A little over twelve years ago I made the move from collector to retailer in this industry, and with that move came the inevitable dumping of my personal collection to fuel my start up comic store. Oh, I picked up the odd book here and there, held it in my 'personal collection' for a while, but usually moved it on when the opportunity presented itself. Somehow, a couple months ago, the collector bug struck me again. In my previous collecting days it was all about silver age Marvel, but after all these years with the store, every Silver and Bronze key has passed through my hands so many times those eras hold little interest to me as a collector. The Golden Age on the other hand....

Even with a store actively seeking out comic collections behind me, very few pre 50s books have ever come into my possesion. Its just a fact of my geographical location. Calgary was barely more than a bump in the road in the 30s and 40s, and Golden Age books in this city are few and far between. Unless Podboy66 (hi.gif) gets hit by a bus and his heirs bring in his collection, a huge Golden Age score isnt happening.

Alright... long story short, Batman #1-#50 slabbed is my goal. Why stop at #50? I want to stick to the 40s with my new collection. I considered sticking just to the War years and earlier, but I wanted a little broader selection. Why slabbed? For a long time I was one the purists that was against locking books in plastic... but the reality of buying on the internet is that everyones grading sucks. smile.gif I dont even agree with CGCs grades most of the time.... I definitely am one to 'buy the book, not the grade' but at least with a slabbed book you get a restoration check and if you avoid the 9.2s and up, you can avoid most of the pressing and trimming issues as well.

Without further ado, here is the first book:

Batman10.jpg

This wasnt the first book I sent payment for, but was the first to arrive. From the outset I decided I will pick up restored books, if the price is right. I bought this one on Ebay for $450 with a best offer. I am especially happy to pick up books with this kind of 'restoration'. I'm not sure why there is glue on the book, the staples certainly look tight. As far as I can tell through the CGC holder, the glue isnt actually restoring anything, its just there, making the book cheaper for me smile.gif

Next up are two book I bought through Comic Link. This was my first time using Comic Link and I have nothing but positive things to say. Quite happy with both copies, but the #26 is smoking nice, especially for a solid black cover. Looks even better in person, the scanner makes the tanning on the white bottom corner look worse than it actually is. I've seen worse books graded 9.0. I'm sure the original submitter wasnt thrilled when it came back at 8.5. The #49 is a little miscut, but still presents well. Paid $840 for the #26 (a steal imho) and $650 for the #49. And my favorite part of the deal, CLink somehow got them to me without my having to pay GST at customs! Nice.

Batman26.jpg

Batman49.jpg

My second Ebay book, bought from a fellow Canuck at a pretty fair price ($600). I love this cover, will definitely use this image during my Stampede Sux Sale next year. For those that dont know, Stampede is a week and half long rodeo/exhibition/excuse for everyone in the downtown core not to go to work. Calgarians either love it or hate it... I fall solidly in the second catagory.

Batman21.jpg

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

Thanks for posting the sweet Batmans!

I'll add my welcome as well.. nice to add another fellow Canadian to the boards!!

Great posts... haven't got into Batman collecting yet, but its just a matter of time. Batman was a childhood obsession, and now that I'm entering my second childhood, it seems logical to start aquiring some early Bats and Detectives... laugh.gif

Its the big one! For me, a personal grail all my collecting life. There is just something about yellow covers I've always loved. Purchased from Bob Dumas at Silver Comics. Originally in his ebay store, but we negotiated a price a little lower. I paid $11,500. Bob had it listed at $12,800, which is straight Overstreet. Its PGX, not CGC, but I am fairly confident it would get that grade from CGC as well. Its worst defect is a 3/4 by 1/2 inch chip out of the back cover. A little dirty on the front cover, but still looks great. I am thrilled with this one, and highly recommend Silver Comics Ebay store. This was a major purchase for me, and dealing with this value across an international border was a bit trying at times, but Bob was very professional, and everything worked out great. cloud9.gif

Again, my scanner makes the dirt a lot more apparant than it is when you actually have the book in hand. At least I know the book wasnt cleaned tongue.gif

Batman1.jpg

Thanks for the welcome guys. I also want to start picking up some Detectives at some point, especially a decent #31, but that will have to wait until I've put a good dent in this run. One project at a time smile.gif. I've really got to stay out of that Timely thread as well.... puts too many ideas in my head. tongue.gif

Last ones for now, I just received these yesterday. My second order from ComicLink.

Batman11.jpg

I am super thrilled with this one. A great looking 5.5, picked it up for $1630. Colors are awesome!

Batman38.jpg

First one I've been disappointed with. I'm not a fan of spineroll, and generally avoid it like the plague. I also dont like arrival dates. This book has both! No real excuse for it, CLink has a nice big scan of the book. Guess I was just getting too excited with placing bids late at night. tongue.gif Fortunately this book only ran me $265. It will fill a hole for a while, and likely be upgraded at some point. Looking at this 5.5 next to the #11 above.... no comparison. Buy the book not the grade... smile.gif

I got nervous for a moment. The way your post was constructed, I thought you paid $1630 for that Batman 38! Then I realized it was for the 11. *Whew*

Nice books overall. You should post everything in the group shot thread.

I'm storing most of these in my safe deposit box at the bank, so I've never had them all together at once to take a group shot. Maybe when I have a decent sequential run I will take one. When I get them all done, I will definitely take some, but thats going to be a while smile.gif

hello all...

I, too, enjoyed viewing these books, as I am in the process of doing the same thing...putting together a run of Bats 1-100 for a good friend/customer (my customers' criteria is all 5.0 or better, all unrestored)...however, until he pays for them, technically they are "mine" (the hunt is half the fun)...I have about 50 issues done (1-29 is done, and then a smattering from there)...finding the 75-100 "tough" to find in 5.0 or better (easy in 1.0-4.5)....keep those photo's coming, and if you ever find extras, lmk wink.gif

rick

rick:

Glad you liked the books, and if I upgrade anything I will let you know about the under copy. I see we were both bidding on the Batman #30 on ebay today, but we both missed out (my ebay name is phoenixcomicsnw, btw). Too bad for us, it looked like a decent one. I was also outbid on the #36 today and a #9 yesterday. Here I thought I might get a good deal on them with it being a holiday weekend across North America. Guess GA collectors dont go camping....

grin.gif

rick:

Glad you liked the books, and if I upgrade anything I will let you know about the under copy. I see we were both bidding on the Batman #30 on ebay today, but we both missed out (my ebay name is phoenixcomicsnw, btw). Too bad for us, it looked like a decent one. I was also outbid on the #36 today and a #9 yesterday. Here I thought I might get a good deal on them with it being a holiday weekend across North America. Guess GA collectors dont go camping....

grin.gif

hello all..

I might have gone higher, but I was out, and when I put my max bid in, it was $100+ over the next highest...5.5 is almost on the low end of the scale for us, but it was a decent looking copy....I have 2 #36....one is a Fn and I already upraded to a vf/nm...PM me if you need a fine #36

rick

Welcome to the boards! Collecting Batman is always my first love but it's interesting to me how many people here can relate to your comments about "been there, done that" when it comes to silver and bronze. I'm seeing lots of people saying the same things and they are turning to GA (to varying degree). Or at least salting a few GA books into their collecting habits.

Marc

Although I'm a bit late (give me a break, I only read the Gold section about once a week), Welcome To The Boards, Mike! We've met before (a couple of years ago at the first Vs. PCQ you held, and last year at Cdn Nats).

Nice books you have there! Especially the 26 and 11. 893applaud-thumb.gif