• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mikephoen's Slabbed Batman Collection

119 posts in this topic

hello all...

mike, you are just collecting 1-50, right?...

rick

Yup, just 1-50 for Batman for now. I dont really like the goofy 50s Bats, so I dont plan to go past #50. In my opinion the 50s are all about EC, and I intend to put some more effort/$$$ into ECs once I get the Bats done.

There are still some very good Joker/Two-Face stories after #50, but I agree that the first fifty are the most solid part of the run ending with a great Two-Face cover.

Thats true, there are a few great covers after 50, and obviously once you hit the Adams ones in the late 60s you have some of the best covers ever. You and rick should be careful, you might convince me to start competing with you for those after 50 covers... 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gifstooges.gif

Dissin' Batman 50s covers! 893whatthe.gif

Batman75-1.jpg

Batman75-1.jpg

that's what I talking about!

rick

Does anyone realize how impossible this book is to find in this grade? WOW! Nice funnybook Mr. Strange!

wow, 3 great books in a row.

Don't make mad or I'll do it again. mad.gif

flowerred.gif

Batman75-1.jpg

that's what I talking about!

rick

Does anyone realize how impossible this book is to find in this grade? WOW! Nice funnybook Mr. Strange!

yep, I do...I have a 6.5, but it is not as nice as this one

rick

I just read through this whole thread, and it's great! Awesome books, guys! thumbsup2.gif

My simple collecting goal- BATMAN #1-100 in raw, unslabbed and mid to low grade. Except for #1, which is prohibitively expensive in all grades, it's definitely doable. I already have BATMAN #62 on the way from Metro, and have a Fair+ BATMAN #3 on hold(I'll be sending the check tomorrow).

I just read through this whole thread, and it's great! Awesome books, guys! thumbsup2.gif

My simple collecting goal- BATMAN #1-100 in raw, unslabbed and mid to low grade. Except for #1, which is prohibitively expensive in all grades, it's definitely doable. I already have BATMAN #62 on the way from Metro, and have a Fair+ BATMAN #3 on hold(I'll be sending the check tomorrow).

Glad to see you back posting, DD! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the compliments on the Bats, guys. Those books have great stories in addition to the what I consider to be fun covers.

At long last, another addition to my run. This book marks the halfway point for me, 25 down, 25 to go. I picked this one up from ebayer mbhighlander63, and once again I am very pleased to have delt with this person. Canada Customs on the other hand.... I'm much less happy with. They held my book in customs for almost 2 full weeks before I finally got it. Once again, mbhighlander63 was quite helpful, and always responded to my emails quickly. I paid a price I'm very happy with on this one, got it for the minimum bid of $724.95. I had actually offered $788 for this book a few months earlier when it was in mb's online store, so I was quite happy to wait a few months and win it for the minimum bid in the no reserve ebay auction. No idea when I'll get to add the next book, as there are currently no books that fit my both my wantlist and my self imposed spending cap.

Here's the book:

batman39.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention, this is one of my least favorite covers of the run. Its just too goofy for me. I'm also not exactly sure what is going on.... who cut the bat signal shaped hole in the ice? Bats sure looks surprised to be going in, but Robin looks like he might be smirking, just a little. If it was one of Batman's enemies that cut it, it sure seems like a crappy way to try to off Batman. What were the odds of that actually working, 1,000,000 to 1? More?

The book itself is awesome though. The only think keeping it from a higher grade is a quarter inch spine split at the top corner. Absolutely beautiful other than that, great color and white pages.

BATMAN #39 was the first GA Batman book I ever owned, so even though the cover is goofy, it's one of my favorites. It does have a great Catwoman story, and the interior art looks like Bob Kane circa 1941(probably actually Sheldon Moldoff).

OK ladies......I received a PM to add my Batman #3 to this thread with info, so here it is........... VF++ unrestored with off-white pages / appears to be unread.

will be sent to CGC shortly, and is a keeper!

1699175-bat-front.jpg

1699175-bat-back.jpg

That book just blows me away everytime I see it. hail.gif893whatthe.gif

What are the 5 dots on the top of the back cover, about hole-punch size?

this book is from an original owner collection, and that owner instead of writing his name on the front covers of his NM GA DC's, took a whole punch and punched out about 5 or 6 holes towards the top of the front covers to mark his territory.....this is one of the few books that was spared.

What you see, since these books were stacked, is a dust shadow from the front cover holes of the book that was under this one for untold decades......probably the otherwise NM Batman #2 from this same collection.