• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer Collecting Thread!

78 posts in this topic

that's why i'm glad i don't buy cgc. i can get a raw copy for way less than that. of course, i'm plenty happy with an 8.0 copy anyway, which i can pick up for $300 or so.

Didnt the SS 1 9.8 sell for 13K last year ...

Lets see now, just off the top of my head.. Doug sold his copy for $13K, then it was sold by Vintagecollectables for $14k a few months later, and only a couple of months after that, the other Boston resubed to 9.8 sold for $15k on mastro.

The book in top grade has been on a price skyrocket since it hit the market basicly.

That doesnt sound right. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt ex-boardmember Mr.Pym from England purchase the 9.8 from Doug. Which means the copy that sold for 25K was the resubbed copy. Either way that is a huge jump in one year. I didnt think movie hype would affect collectors like this one but I guess I was wrong

That doesnt sound right. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt ex-boardmember Mr.Pym from England purchase the 9.8 from Doug. Which means the copy that sold for 25K was the resubbed copy. Either way that is a huge jump in one year. I didnt think movie hype would affect collectors like this one but I guess I was wrong

Both of the current 9.8 Boston copies are resubs I believe. The first one to appear on the census was a 9.8 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE (serial ending in 007) and was resubbed to a 9.8 WHITE. Then the Boston 9.6 OFF-WHITE was resubbed and became the second 9.8 with OFF-WHITE TO WHITE.

Pym was the third owner of the original 9.8 book after Doug, and vintagecollectables.

The resub was the Mastro sale.

If you saw the book in the auction, it's quite clear which copy is which with their respective registrations.... one perfect - the original 9.8, and the other not so perfect - the resub, being the book auctioned off.

So in a about 3 months last year from the 2 copies coming on the market, the book climbed $2,000, with the resub copy setting the top benchmark. So it figures the original 9.8 commands the premium

I picked up the Boston SS from Pym and Harley Yee was kind enough to handle the transaction for us. I had failed in aquiring this book several times. This time, I was fortunate. I did not pick this book up as an investment. I think my childrens children would have to sell it in order to make a profit! I have always wanted a nice copy of this book and I'm extremely happy with this one.

1885458-SS1W.jpg

1885458-SS1W.jpg.4ad7f6bbf58f62cd6e2bdc4c7fc80551.jpg

I picked up the Boston SS from Pym and Harley Yee was kind enough to handle the transaction for us. I had failed in aquiring this book several times. This time, I was fortunate. I did not pick this book up as an investment. I think my childrens children would have to sell it in order to make a profit! I have always wanted a nice copy of this book and I'm extremely happy with this one.

1885458-SS1W.jpg

Congratulations! That is an amazing book.

Great gadzoks man that is beautiful 893applaud-thumb.gif.

1885458-SS1W.jpg

I think Alex Proyas (The Crow, Dark City) is a good choice for the solo Surfer flick. Looks like J. Michael Straczynski who did a nice job with SS Requiem is writing the screenplay. If it all flies, we could have a darker vision that gets away from FF2. And maybe Galactus will look more like this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051916/

Galactus.jpg

So much big-screen potential in this character that has thus far gone unrealized.

Since the original 18 have now been posted, perhaps we can move onto favorite crossovers like this one, first cover devoted to Surfer (ish 49 is as an extra):

FF50.jpg