• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to that Red Sonjya HC?

10 posts in this topic

Sorry to derail, but they have really ruined Red Sonja already. WAY too many mini-series and not enough focus on the main story. The one good thing is that Oeming is supposed to be taking on the character pretty soon in the main book. Is that correct?

Pat

I agree with the way too many mini series for Red Sonja. If you have a good story tell it in the main series. Also, the mutiple covers are getting a little old. I pick my favorite cover but find it annoying.

I really wish Dark Horse had scored the character.

BB,

I agree with you 100%. I could tolerate the variants if the story was solid. I thought they started the series well. But it's been very diluted and the variants just don't stop. I must admit, the Texeria variant on the new mini this week was unbelievable. I thought it was Del Otto for a second. Just love Tex's work.

Pat

Funny, I don't see you guys complaining about the various mini's on Conan 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I stick to the main Red Sonja series, ignore the variants (worthless anyway), and pick up the odd mini if it interests me. I love the main series - the writing and artwork is superb IMHO.

The TPB is due soon, acoording to the DE website:

Dynamite - Red Sonja TPB

I love the typo in my thread title.

But yeah, they screwed up with making so many minis. I think DH screwed it too. They should just stick with the one title and made sure it's great month in and month out. But they're out to make money, and why not make more series if you have a hot title?

Funny, I don't see you guys complaining about the various mini's on Conan 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One reason might be that they don't suck. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know about that. I thought the Book of Thoth was subpar at best. I didn't even finish Demons of Khitai or Jewels of Gwahlur (sp?), due to horrible art and so-so writing. Songs of the Dead has been ok so far, but not as good as the main title.

Red Sonja has been pretty much the same - very good main title, below average mini's. To be fair, RS has only had 3 mini-series, and two were one-shots - which are much better to have than the drawn out, 4 or 6 issue series. I am not counting Red Sonja/Claw, as that is a crossover deal with DC.

We just have different tastes.

The Conan main series compared to the Red Sonja main series are day and night to me. RS just never was of the same caliber. On the flip side, Conan is taken from existing stories whereas RS is new.

I'd agree with Jewels. It didn't interest me in the bit. Especially being the first mini. But I really enjoyed Demons (the Asian influence contrasts Conan so oddly). And I really, really loved Books of Thoth. Though it could be argued that Books of Thoth was less of a Conan mini series than Claw/RS.

Claw/RS was bad. Mostly because I didn't care for the art team. The story seemed okay to stary but just dragged on. Obviously a catalyst for a Claw ongoing (and look how poorly it is doing). Again, the Doom mini started off good but ended poorly. I know it set up a potentially good villian, but the ending was really bad.

I guess that's how I can sum up Red Sonja. I like the beginning direction but it just never pans out. By the time the arc is done, I feel like I wasted money on the book.

I will check out Oeming's version (if the rumor is true). Love his stuff.

Pat