• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS 181

28 posts in this topic

i’m trying to decide what to with this book. i picked it up from a yard sale about a year ago for 30 bucks. sound like a good price. the problem is it has had some amateurish restoration done on the upper left hand corner. the guy new about it and was trying to hide it from me but i saw it and figured what the hell. it has had a piece of the cover ripped off witch you can see in the blown up pick of the left hand corner. then red marker was dabbed under it on the splash page to try and hide it. i lost my digital camera or i would show the splash page. but it is a small red mark just enough to fill the hole.

so my issue is this the overall condition is fine for me for this type of a book. i love having it in my collection. i would say it is about a 6.0? without the tare. so initially i was just not gonna let it get to me, but it is beginning to.

should i suck it up and forget about it? should i try to sell and upgrade to a true 7.0? what would you do? being such a popular book, how much could i expect to get for this on ebay? thanks!

181_f.JPG

181_b.JPG

181_issue.JPG

It's not like the sell of this book is going to give you anymore of a head start financially on a better copy. So, if it were me, I'd just tuck it away. As OG said, you got a nice deal...keep it.

wow, you don't think it would bring more then 30 bucks on ebay?

i’m trying to decide what to with this book. i picked it up from a yard sale about a year ago for 30 bucks. sound like a good price. the problem is it has had some amateurish restoration done on the upper left hand corner. the guy new about it and was trying to hide it from me but i saw it and figured what the hell. it has had a piece of the cover ripped off witch you can see in the blown up pick of the left hand corner. then red marker was dabbed under it on the splash page to try and hide it. i lost my digital camera or i would show the splash page. but it is a small red mark just enough to fill the hole.

so my issue is this the overall condition is fine for me for this type of a book. i love having it in my collection. i would say it is about a 6.0? without the tare. so initially i was just not gonna let it get to me, but it is beginning to.

should i suck it up and forget about it? should i try to sell and upgrade to a true 7.0? what would you do? being such a popular book, how much could i expect to get for this on ebay? thanks!

181_f.JPG

181_b.JPG

181_issue.JPG

takeit.gif

It's not like the sell of this book is going to give you anymore of a head start financially on a better copy. So, if it were me, I'd just tuck it away. As OG said, you got a nice deal...keep it.

wow, you don't think it would bring more then 30 bucks on ebay?

That wasn't the point. If you really want to sell it that badly, I guess I'll buy it from you. grin.gif

BTW, IH 181 issues are going down, anyway.

keep it as your reader copy and buy a high grade one...8.5 or above...i read my copy until i decided to CGC it...came back unrestored 7.0 thumbsup2.gif now i cant read it anymore...well that's what reprints are for.

i’m trying to decide what to with this book. i picked it up from a yard sale about a year ago for 30 bucks. sound like a good price. the problem is it has had some amateurish restoration done on the upper left hand corner. the guy new about it and was trying to hide it from me but i saw it and figured what the hell.

Who sells comics at a yard sale for $30? If the guy knew about comics and was trying to pass it off as unrestored, he should have put it up for a lot more than $30. If he didn't know I thing about comics, $30 is a bizarre price for a yard sale.

Anyway, keep it, unless you want to upgrade, then upgrade. Easy.

Because nobody answered, I am thinking you could still get a couple hundred dollars for it on e-bay even with the amateur restoration. Couldn't hurt for some of the other forum members to come up with a figure. If 3 or 4 could give their opinion on what it would sell for, we could come up with a nice average figure.

yea i got the feeling the guy had tried to take it to a few shops, witch around here are far and few between. and not a one that deals in back issues. yea when i first saw it i almost shiet myself. i mean here i am sitting in the car watching my wife and 4 year old son rummage through someone else's cpaap. as usual they get back in the car with zippy. then my wife says "he had a comic". i said "a comic, just one?" yup she said, it's 50 bucks. i said "hold up...what is the cover price?" she doesn’t remember but points to the table where it's sitting. so i turn the car off, unstrap the seatbelt and begin walking over to the table. as you can imagine the second i saw just a glimpse of it i knew what it was. first thing that goes through my mind is, christ....i don't have 50 on me. wife is gonna have to run to the atm while i wait here. i'm not letting that baby out of my site.

so anyways i looked it over, noticed the defect, offered 30 and moved on to the next yard sale.

Just check the census above 8.0 on that common bronze age book.

$30 not a bad deal. I would take sandpaper, and scrap that [embarrassing lack of self control] off.

Or ,you can sell it on ebay as is, with your detailed photo and disclosure, You might get $86.09 for it ! But either way, was there a need to post this on the boards ?

What are you concerned with ? will you make money ? will people laugh at you for owning it ?

just what ? I think my morning coffee would look good on it ! I'd give you $45 so i can have a deluxe coffee coaster smile.gif