• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help! Should I accept a money order or cashier's check from Canada?

12 posts in this topic

I've sold a lot of comics to buyers in foreign countries, and everyone has always paid via Paypal. However, I have a Canadian buyer who wants to send me a money order or cashier's check (didn't specify which). Are there any problems I should be aware of with accepting a foreign money order or cashier's check?

I know we have a lot of Canadian members so perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me? Thanks... flowerred.gif

Our money orders and cheques are cashable in the states. I don't anticipate any problems. I have sent them down to the USA dozens of times and no one has ever complained. I did have one fellow however who insisted on a postal money order because he said that there were services charges in cashing a bank money order. You might want to check out that angle with your bank.

Ron

If you accept a Canadian Postal Money Order, your bank may charge a service fee to cash it. However the USPS will cash them at their windows at no charge. thumbsup2.gif

I have had a mixed bag of Fees / no Fees with the Canadian Cashier' Checks. confused-smiley-013.gif

As long as the M.O. is in US Dollars, banks here will not charge a service fee to cash it for you. As a Canadian living in the US now, family often send funds to me this way for the kids' birthdays, etc. I've never had a problem cashing a Canadian M.O. here.

Make sure it is an international money order/ cashiers check even if drawn on U.S. funds. I once got a cashiers check from a Hong Kong bank that was in U.S. Funds, but was not cashable outside Hong Kong, even though the bank had a branch here in Los Angeles. foreheadslap.gif

Probably a less likely with Canadian money orders, but be sure.

Also be reluctant to have funds routed to your account via SWIFT - a popular way to pay for things in Europe. My bank (B of A) charged me $10 for such a transaction. frustrated.gif

Yes be sure to make sure the funds are indeed in US dollars, but if economists are correct as they forsee the Canadian dollar overtaking the US dollar in value by the end of the year, next year you might want to hope they start paying in Canadian dollars smile.gif

I used to send out MO's all the time and no one ever complained or had a problem cashing it.

Jim

Yes be sure to make sure the funds are indeed in US dollars, but if economists are correct as they forsee the Canadian dollar overtaking the US dollar in value by the end of the year, next year you might want to hope they start paying in Canadian dollars

Then Overstreet prices will be in Canadian Dollars right. 27_laughing.gif

John