• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paratrooper covers RUN

1,682 posts in this topic

I will note my progress here, included with some interesting facts concerning the relevance of the military paratroopers in relation with comics. Each comic I present here I will note the specific date in which it was published, I will then give a "history lesson" of what happened on that date. This is a test, not sure how it will turn out but I hope it will turn out interesting.

Here is my first posting:

AcesHigh3.jpg

Aces High #3 (August 1955)

Airborne Command patch was worn until August 1955, worn by the 10th and 77th Special Forces Group. The patach depicts a parachute and glider plane, representing the 16 parachute infantry regiments that the Airborne Command trained for 5 separate airborne Divisions organized during WWII. The 10th and 77th Special Forces Groups' missions are classified to this day and the reasons why this patch was chosen remains unexplained. Also, in 1954 the Group Commander Colonel Eckman authorized the wear of the beret. By 1955 every Special Forces soldier in Germany was wearing the Green Beret. At that time the Department of the army had not authorized the wear of the beret. But hey, the special forces pretty much did anything they wanted. So 1955 saw the end of the famous 10th and 77th Special Forces patch and the beginning of the use of the "Green Beret".

Adventures of Bob Hope #26 (April/May 1954)

In May 1954 the 101st Airborne Division was reactivated at Ft. Jackson, South Carolina. In 1956 they moved to their current post in Ft. Campbell, KY. The patch of the 101st shows the head of a Bald eagle super imposed on a black shield, with the Airborne scroll on top. The eagles head represents the famed eagle mascot of the Wisconsin Infantry Regiment during the civil war. Although, the 101st is an Air Assault Division it keeps the Airborne patch in remembrance of their deep history as an Airborne unit during WWII.

Bob Hope nicknamed G.I Bob by american service men and women was well deserved. Bob Hope is considered a legend to the US armed forces for his unwavering committment to the armed services by performing tons of shows with the USO. He performed in WWII to Vietnam in hostile areas. After Vietnam he would still perform for the armed forces at military bases and VA hospitals. He performed and supported the military from 1941 to his death. Although never serving in the military himself he was made an honorary Veteran among many honoraries bestowed upon him. BobHope26.jpg

Adventures of Bob Hope #26 (April/May 1954)

In May 1954 the 101st Airborne Division was reactivated at Ft. Jackson, South Carolina. In 1956 they moved to their current post in Ft. Campbell, KY. The patch of the 101st shows the head of a Bald eagle super imposed on a black shield, with the Airborne scroll on top. The eagles head represents the famed eagle mascot of the Wisconsin Infantry Regiment during the civil war. Although, the 101st is an Air Assault Division it keeps the Airborne patch in remembrance of their deep history as an Airborne unit during WWII.

Bob Hope nicknamed G.I Bob by american service men and women was well deserved. Bob Hope is considered a legend to the US armed forces for his unwavering committment to the armed services by performing tons of shows with the USO. He performed in WWII to Vietnam in hostile areas. After Vietnam he would still perform for the armed forces at military bases and VA hospitals. He performed and supported the military from 1941 to his death. Although never serving in the military himself he was made an honorary Veteran among many honoraries bestowed upon him. BobHope26.jpg

Love the Bob Hope cover -- especially when the copy looks this fresh! In fact, so does Bob!

Looking forward to more posts! thumbsup2.gif

Battlefield Action #47 (1963)

The first Airborne unit to be activated under the Army's new ROAD (Reorganization Objective Army Division) was the 173rd Airborne Battle Group in June 1963. It was formed from recently deactivated units of the 2nd Airborne Battle Group and the 503rd Infantry.

The 173rd were the only paratrooper unit to actually jump into Iraq on 26 March 2003 while the 82nd Airborne Division went by vehicle convoy. The 173rds mission was successful in securing the airfield in northern Iraq. Battlefield47.jpg

Blackhawk #34 (November 1950)

June 24th 1950 President Truman was informed that communist North Korea planned on attacking South Korea with the plan on taking it over and converting it to communism. In the early stages of the war the North Koreans drove the South Koreans all the way to the Southern shores of Korea. In September 1950 help came from the US and UN by sending in the Army and Marines in all different directions, the paratroopers were dropped in the center of Korea on the 38th parallel. The UN and US started pushing the North Koreans back to the border at the 38th parallel, November 1950 sister China entered the War......study more to find out what happened. Blackhawk34.jpg