• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction Baltimore....1st session..Friday Sept 8

173 posts in this topic

Four Color #386 in 9.2 for $11,950! 893whatthe.gif That`s 6X Guide for a 9.2 book! Even if the buyer thought there might be a crack and resub opportunity, is there any upside left at that price, even if the book gets a 9.4 on resub? Everytime I think Duck prices can`t get any higher, I am proven so-o-o wrong.

Well, good news for the underbidder is that a 9.4 copy will be up on Heritage in November! cool.gif

I believe the Reign of the Superman fanzine from 1991 Sotherbys Auction had a pre auction estimate of 30k if you look at the catolog[thats 17 yeras ago pre auction estimate of 30k. So I dont think I did that bad with this piece considering that.

Also it did not sell at the Sotherbys Auction for 3k. It had a pre auction estimate of 25 to 30 k so I dought the seller let it go for 3k.

Steve I believe owned it before the Sotherbys Auction if Im reading his post correctly.

I believe the Reign of the Superman fanzine from 1991 Sotherbys Auction had a pre auction estimate of 30k if you look at the catolog[thats 17 yeras ago pre auction estimate of 30k. So I dont think I did that bad with this piece considering that.

Also it did not sell at the Sotherbys Auction for 3k. It had a pre auction estimate of 25 to 30 k so I dought the seller let it go for 3k.

Steve I believe owned it before the Sotherbys Auction if Im reading his post correctly.

I bought it at the Ackerman auction for 3k. Sold it to Mark Wilson a year later. I believe he put it in the Sothebys auction.

Steve

I was 800.00 dollars off my prediction that the Detective 27 would go for 35k.

It sold for 35.8 k.

Like I said, REstored is not making a comback[yet anyway]

I know you will always find people who will find evidence to the contrary but the point is you cant measure all the people who NEVER bid because it was restored. That is the evidence you cant find on paper that is controlling the pricing... That is the hidden card

Four Color #386 in 9.2 for $11,950! 893whatthe.gif That`s 6X Guide for a 9.2 book! Even if the buyer thought there might be a crack and resub opportunity, is there any upside left at that price, even if the book gets a 9.4 on resub? Everytime I think Duck prices can`t get any higher, I am proven so-o-o wrong.

Well, good news for the underbidder is that a 9.4 copy will be up on Heritage in November! cool.gif

This 9.2 copy looked particularly nice. If someone owns another CGC 9.2 copy and will sell it privately for ~$10K please PM me. Has to have the same eye appeal, though.

Btw., I am sure that the buyer could not care less about "investment potential". Only someone who cares a lot more about Disney books than money would pay this price.

Wanted the Fight 31 CGC 7.5 (graphically violent war cover) despite the diagonal tear at the bottom of the cover, and the Beware 11 (man trapped with rats cover) which I thought was a tad overgraded. Both books ended up at 4X Overstreet, despite being moderately priced when the internet bidding ended. frown.gif

I wanted the Fight #31 as well (a serious upgrade from my POS copy), but my 3X guide bid (inc. premium) was topped before internet bidding ended.

frown.gif I wasn't too surprised as I suspected it would probably sell for around $1000. The guide continues to seriously undervalue this book.

It sold for 35.8 k.

I know you will always find people who will find evidence to the contrary but the point is you cant measure all the people who NEVER bid because it was restored. That is the evidence you cant find on paper that is controlling the pricing... That is the hidden card

That copy was particularly scary as it was trimmed if I remember correctly. Without the trimming, I think it would have gone for more.

It was a sweet copy...does every book have to be purchased considering whether or not there is any "upside left at that price"? I would hope not all high end collectors are really investors, but from what I've seen on the boards here over the years, I'm not so sure. frown.gif

Forrest Ackerman owned the only other copy that was sold in 1991.

Didnt Fishler buy it at Sothebys that year?

I did not buy these copies at Sothebys. I originally bought them out of the Ackerman auction. I think the set went for about $3k.

I have had 4 copies of #3 over the years. One copy which is in pretty nice shape I still have.

Not that I am selling mine but does anyone know who was the underbidder in yesterday's auction?

That price seems a bit wacky!

Steve

I wasn't the underbidder but I hung in there for a while. I wanted that piece, but had a price in mind I thought was generous and ended up getting crushed.

As for the Detective 27, although I'm looking for a solid restored copy, that one wasn't it. Not only was it trimmed, there's a small jagged hole through the entire book. I wouldn't view that price as indicative of all restored keys; more of a special situation.

The prices for most Mile High's got premiums like they were accurately grade plus a huge Mile High premium. Seems like they would have done worse if they had them CGC'd.

I completely agree. CGC graded Mile Highs seem to go for less.

I agree as well.

It sold for 35.8 k.

First of all Peter, nice call on the prediction of final hammer price. 893applaud-thumb.gif

BUT....

Your prediction may have been right on, but that doesn't support your conclusion that "restored is not making a comeback."

This book, which is probably a Moderate (P) 4.0 (with trimming), sold for $1,300 more than a Moderate (P) 7.0 sold for in 2003. And if you look at the Heritage archived scans of the Moderate (P) 7.0 that sold in November 2003, you can see that the Moderate (P) 7.0: (a) is a MUCH nicer looking book, (b) isn't trimmed, and © has much higher quality restoration than the Moderate (P) 4.0 (trimmed) does. Yet the Moderate (P) 4.0 (trimmed) sold for $1,300 more than the Moderate (P) 7.0 did almost three years ago. I think this Moderate (P) 4.0 (trimmed) sale actually proves that restored book values are on the rise compared to years past.

I will grant you that unrestored VG would have sold for a lot more, but so what? You need to compare apples to apples (restored sales now vs. restored sales of prior years) if you want to talk about whether restored book values are on the rise or on the decline.

I remember our last friendly debate about this a few months ago.

I think it went off on a tangent where I forgot what the original issue was.

I think thats whats happening here again.

What im saying[trying to say] is that the spread between restored books and unrestored books[price wise] is still increasing in favor of the unrestored books.

For example ,there is an enormous difference in price between a mod restored [6.0]Superman # 1 and a unrestored Superman #1[6.0] and that spread is increasing every year.

I understand your talking about comparing apples to apples[restored books to restored books.