• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction Baltimore....1st session..Friday Sept 8

173 posts in this topic

The selection of pulps in this auction, particularly the weird menace and spicy books, was simply awesome. It probably brought a lot of pulp collectors out of the woodwork, whereas the onesy/twosy pulps in the monthly auctions go unnoticed. McLaughlin has great taste in pulps, and many of those books are very difficult to find in nice condition.

psssttt.. Tim was KIDDING, his tone read to me to be facetious, and not at all an attack as you seem to have taken it. He just left off the telltale smiley...

I wasn`t kidding. gossip.gif Although I did indeed start off by being facetious. wink.gif

Starting off with humor, I read your whole post in that light. Didnt sound like a challenge to me. Oh well. Ill stay out of the middle next time, but Filter's had a rough time of late on Ebay and Heritage) and I didnt like to see him get ticked off even more, especially since I was so sure it was unwarranted and due to a misunderstanding.

oh well.

As far as Steve goes, I assure you he's no shill. lol Steve, if the test of whether or not someone is a shill is what types of books they post on the forums when they first sign up, maybe you should show tth the comic you showed me in San Diego this year thumbsup2.gif

lol Adam, but I don't think anything at this point would put aside the doubts of tth2. Perhaps we should compare our hobby credentials, eh? Besides, Mark Z. has already posted that particular book to this forum (if it's still out there...).

If I've come out "guns blazing" it's because this is a very serious topic. If the Baltimore Heritage auction went off well, I think that's just great. It does not, however, mitigate the plethora of other concerns that are on the table.

If not all the books went to the big name collectors/dealers, I'm really looking forward to comments from friends and forum members once they receive those books - only time will then tell who are "winners" and who are "losers".

STEVE

Always looking for Larson copies

In the past, there have been "shill" accounts on the forum that were used to attack or reinforce attacks on others. So when a newbie comes out charging from the first post, there will be those that then wonder whether the poster is for real.

The type of conversation that would occur in person around the water cooler, doesn't necessarily come across the way it is intended on a forum allowing anonymous posters. There are plenty of comments on the board that speculate on the business practices of most anyone in the hobby. Lately, most of those have been in other parts of the forum allowing the GA forum to focus on the comics and the creators. Your mileage may vary.

Tim,

Back off on shill speculation. flowerred.gif

SAC's posted his real name and is a long-time, well-known collector.

I`d seen that, but of course I also could have posted that my name was anything I wanted to, which wouldn`t necessarily have meant it was true.

But, since you`re vouching for him, then I`ll accept him as being "for real".

Tim;

You can also toss in my name as vouching for the credibility of Steve as being a "real person".

As Adam has stated, a long-time collector of HG GA books from the West Coast who still attends the SD cons every year. I still remember all of the early Allentown Fox books that he used to have in his personal collection. cloud9.gif

Maybe his suspicions of Heritage is aroused due to his background and experience in the law enforcement industry. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was lucky and won item 50590.

Congrats, Peter. I had a feeling you were going to win that one. thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations! That is such a cool piece!

lol Adam, but I don't think anything at this point would put aside the doubts of tth2. Perhaps we should compare our hobby credentials, eh? Besides, Mark Z. has already posted that particular book to this forum (if it's still out there...).

Steve,

Adamstrange and Lou Fine have vouched for you, and that's good enough for me. I think Adam has explained very eloquently why there is a lot of sensitivity on these boards when a new poster comes on with guns blazing. So I'm more than happy to start on a clean slate if you are. flowerred.gif

As for comparing hobby credentials, I'm sure you'd blow me away as I'm just a small-time collector. It was more the board credentials (i.e., being established as a "real person") that I was concerned with.

Steve,

Adamstrange and Lou Fine have vouched for you, and that's good enough for me. I think Adam has explained very eloquently why there is a lot of sensitivity on these boards when a new poster comes on with guns blazing. So I'm more than happy to start on a clean slate if you are. flowerred.gif

Sounds good - I come from another (non-comic) Board where all members have to register with their real name and a verifiable email address. It's more Wild West over here - somewhat disconcerting not knowing whom I'm conversing with (I'll get used to it) - and I see the potential for abuse.

I posted in this forum because my entire passion is for Golden Age, and felt the info was more applicable to a group who has a greater goal than finding a Wolverine # 4 in 9.8.

I'd like to emphasize that my opinion is my own, based on a series of overwhelming circumstances and events coupled with the testimony of other hobbyists whom I have come to know and trust.

And Lou, over time I've moved all those Allentown Fox books to a private collector. Generally they've been replaced with Larsons, which thankfully were available because Jon Berk (the beast) already had the Mile Highs (whew).

STEVE

Got Larson?

Sounds good - I come from another (non-comic) Board where all members have to register with their real name and a verifiable email address.

Tim Hui, tth2@yahoo.com

I don't post my email address in my profile page because I don't want to make it any easier than it already is for the spammers to get to me.

And Lou, over time I've moved all those Allentown Fox books to a private collector. Generally they've been replaced with Larsons, which thankfully were available because Jon Berk (the beast) already had the Mile Highs (whew).

STEVE

Steve;

And if I remember correctly, you was able to sell your Allentown copy of Mystery Men #3 for something like $10K back in the mid-90's when the book was still guiding for only a couple of grand or so. 893whatthe.gif

Still shocked with that price, especially considering that the guide has still not caught up to the price of that book after all these years. Admittedly, there also seems to have been a bit of a cooling off period in the Fox books after their big run up in the mid 90's.

On the other hand, I can't really think of any HG early Fox books that have made it to market during the past few years. Except for the Heritage Wonderworld #3 that was able to fetch over $25K a few years ago, although this price could not be matched again upon subsequent resale attempts.

As for comparing hobby credentials, I'm sure you'd blow me away as I'm just a small-time collector. It was more the board credentials (i.e., being established as a "real person") that I was concerned with.

Tim;

I certainly would not qualify somebody that's willing to spend $60K on a SA DC book, and also able to generate offers of over 10X guide on some of his Duck books as just a small-time collector.

On the other hand, this description might apply after November, after you have disposed of most of your books. Then again, you'll be awash in what Adam terms as those "rectangular sheets of green paper with images of dead white men". 27_laughing.gif

...and so will Heritage's bank accounts. Tim, any quick reason why not use the usual consignment sites? Ill agree that Heritage can often goose a killer hammer price on select pieces like keys, and scarce items, particularly "scarce keys!". But they DO carve a hefty chunk out of retail even if one were to negotiate away the other fees. just curious for my own estate planning!

Tim;

I certainly would not qualify somebody that's willing to spend $60K on a SA DC book, and also able to generate offers of over 10X guide on some of his Duck books as just a small-time collector.

Thanks for the kind words, Lou, but compared to the big collectors in the hobby (both SA and GA), I'm a very very small fish.

...and so will Heritage's bank accounts. Tim, any quick reason why not use the usual consignment sites? Ill agree that Heritage can often goose a killer hammer price on select pieces like keys, and scarce items, particularly "scarce keys!". But they DO carve a hefty chunk out of retail even if one were to negotiate away the other fees. just curious for my own estate planning!

What are "the usual consignment sites"? For Marvels, I would say Comiclink, Pedigree, Highgrade and some of the other sites are the place to be. For Ducks, I can't imagine any other place than Heritage right now, and even the operator of one of the sites I mentioned admitted that Heritage is the place for Ducks.

For DC early SA, maybe there's a bit more of a question, but you follow the market as closely as I do and you know that many of the big DC SA sales have taken place on Heritage in the last 3 years or so. For Flash in particular, prices have been very strong on Heritage. 17X for a 9.4 Flash #125 (not a key). Over 11X for a 9.4 Flash 123. Over 11X for a 9.4 GL 10 (not a key). My impression is that there are some big time DC SA collectors who follow Heritage but don't follow the other sites (or at least not as carefully). Whether the prices paid on Heritage are still worth it after all the premiums and commissions get deducted is the $64,000 dollar question.

Tim;

Thanks for the kind words, Lou, but compared to the big collectors in the hobby (both SA and GA), I'm a very very small fish.

if you're a small fish, we are just fingerlings stooges.gif

I believe the Reign of the Superman fanzine from 1991 Sotherbys Auction had a pre auction estimate of 30k if you look at the catolog[thats 17 yeras ago pre auction estimate of 30k. So I dont think I did that bad with this piece considering that.

Also it did not sell at the Sotherbys Auction for 3k. It had a pre auction estimate of 25 to 30 k so I dought the seller let it go for 3k.

Steve I believe owned it before the Sotherbys Auction if Im reading his post correctly.

I bought it at the Ackerman auction for 3k. Sold it to Mark Wilson a year later. I believe he put it in the Sothebys auction.

Steve

No, Verzyl put those in, he told me so yesterday.

West

STEVE

Steve;

And if I remember correctly, you was able to sell your Allentown copy of Mystery Men #3 for something like $10K back in the mid-90's when the book was still guiding for only a couple of grand or so. 893whatthe.gif

Still shocked with that price, especially considering that the guide has still not caught up to the price of that book after all these years. Admittedly, there also seems to have been a bit of a cooling off period in the Fox books after their big run up in the mid 90's.

On the other hand, I can't really think of any HG early Fox books that have made it to market during the past few years. Except for the Heritage Wonderworld #3 that was able to fetch over $25K a few years ago, although this price could not be matched again upon subsequent resale attempts.

Early Fox books, got their attraction from Lou Fine covers and art. They are an early GA company with an interesting history. Join us in the Fox Appreciation thread.

See this link for more on Fox books and a gallery of covers.

http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

But do not estimate some of the other interior art by others and the later covers by Ashe, Rice and Patenaude.

As to being a 'beast', I tend to look at myself as a focused collector with selective eating habits.

Known Steve for years (good guy), and he has a wide experience and very focused views on some of the doings in the hobby.

Jon

Tim,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what method of shipping are you using for your HG beauties? Are books typically picked up by the consignment site (Heritage in this instance), or do you actually have to pack and ship these books via ground/air mail? Thanks.

Tim,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what method of shipping are you using for your HG beauties? Are books typically picked up by the consignment site (Heritage in this instance), or do you actually have to pack and ship these books via ground/air mail? Thanks.

Heritage can provide you with a fedex billing number that you can use to ship the books to them. So long as you follow the detailed shipping instructions that they provide to you, the shipment is insured.

Tim,

Heritage can provide you with a fedex billing number that you can use to ship the books to them. So long as you follow the detailed shipping instructions that they provide to you, the shipment is insured.

Thanks. thumbsup2.gif